Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

unkel wrote: »
    What's the hangup about leather, RJ? ..........

..I don't have a hang up about it, most of the Alfa heads reckon it's a must have though. I'd be fairly certain the no interior pics comment was in relation to wondering was it leathered up or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RoverJames wrote: »
    most of the Alfa heads reckon it's a must have though.

A must have? On a €800 banger? Maybe they should be a bit more worried that the TB is due on the Alfa they just bought :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Leather. Too cold in winter, too hot in summer. Much overrated, unless you are a leather snob (someone else would use the word fetishist :pac:)

Have to admit I like leather, but having so far had only either nice leather or crap Opel fabric there's probably a good compromise. Maybe Alcantara? Never really noticed the cold thing about leather, but I have a big arse that warms things rapidly.

I like the Alcantara in the ZT, it wears more than other seat covering tack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Leather in an Alfa is a must in my book anyway. The cloth seats are a bit sh1t, and of course in the winter you can just heat them... As for being too warm, well this is Ireland where high 30's temperature are a rarity and as such the being too warm argument wouldn't really apply I think.

Of course cost obviously comes into it, but having no leather in an Alfa wouldn't be for me.*

*I should point out that my 156 currently has no leather, looking for secondhand set of Momo's for it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

166man wrote: »
    I should point out that my 156 currently has no leather, looking for secondhand set of Momo's for it.:D

Should be easy enough to find, don't pay more than €100 or so though. You'll have to turn off the airbag light as the Momos don't have occupancy sensors, at least not on mine.

Confab wrote: »
    Should be easy enough to find, don't pay more than €100 or so though. You'll have to turn off the airbag light as the Momos don't have occupancy sensors, at least not on mine.

I just really want to have the leather interior, the cloth seats are looking a bit past it at this stage. Once I get a job again I'll be on the hunt for a nice interior.. Thanks for the heads up though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I like the Alcantara in the ZT, it wears more than other seat covering tack though.

Way nicer. i prefer a nicer seat!

A friend of mine upgraded his C class to the newer model, (00-02) and got leather this time. No heated seats and getting into the car at night or early morning would actually turn you off it, bloody freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Sold as of 5 mins ago

I'm silently crying with this sale, I feel all hollow inside, you could say its jealousy and it probably is :pac:.
    But best of luck with that Lexus LS430 whoever the lucky B'stard is:).

Leather. Too cold in winter, too hot in summer. Much overrated, unless you are a leather snob (someone else would use the word fetishist :pac:)

The thing I like with leather is 1) its easy clean and 2) as a smoker I dont have to worry about the leather taking in the smell.
    In my old company cars that I was driving in all day, the smell of cigs wasnt bad, but in my own car it was awful and Im saying that as a smoker it was really chronic so imagine for other people to get in YUCK.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

2119166_03_product_detail_large.jpg?1329256515

Very tidy looking Ford Focus, full electrics and a lady driver!
    http://buyandsell.ie/search/for-sale/motors/cavan/ford+focus/ford-focus-171

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Leather in an Alfa is a must in my book anyway
    I should point out that my 156 currently has no leather

But that's my point exactly. Of course leather is desirable, but on a sub 1k car other things are much more important. That's why you bought your 156 even though it didn't have "must have" leather!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

cdublin wrote: »
    2119166_03_product_detail_large.jpg?1329256515

Very tidy looking Ford Focus, full electrics and a lady driver!
    http://buyandsell.ie/search/for-sale/motors/cavan/ford+focus/ford-focus-171

Who can't spell tyres? " Lady driver"? And?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ninap wrote: »
    Who can't spell tyres? " Lady driver"? And?

Ya right, my mechanic can't spell but he's damn good at his job. Every receipt goes something like this
    Parts €
    Laber €
    Brakes €
    Totel €

But that's my point exactly. Of course leather is desirable, but on a sub 1k car other things are much more important. That's why you bought your 156 even though it didn't have "must have" leather!

But on a car worth say €1000, to spend about €100 transforming the interior is well worth it in my opinion. We have had the car in the family since 2002 and it will be staying with us for many years to come. There's no plans to sell it so investing €100 on a leather interior seems worth it to me.

But on a car worth say €1000, to spend about €100 transforming the interior is well worth it in my opinion. We have had the car in the family since 2002 and it will be staying with us for many years to come. There's no plans to sell it so investing €100 on a leather interior seems worth it to me.

..... so ye managed 10 years without the must have leather :pac:

..... so ye managed 10 years without the must have leather :pac:

Figured it was worth according to the old man because it had the right engine, colour and the all important sunroof. Now that I'm driving it I'd really like leather in it, and the point of "well it's not gonna be worth it come resale time" doesn't apply here because we'll keep the car until it dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

This looks clean. Ideally ya'd be getting it a little cheaper. Good starter car.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2816546

Decent looking barge. years test.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2952206

Hard beat these.!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2987158

93/16 = 5,800 miles PA.

Me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

93/16 = 5,800 miles PA.

Me arse.

Automatic 1.3 corolla,
    well within reason that it'd be genuine miles,
    Sure how many of these are used for mass and shop's after a gentleman had retired, I know my grandfather had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

93/16 = 5,800 miles PA.

Me arse.

Unlikely alright. The thought of low milage xli always gets me excited.. my powers of reason & logic go out the window..:pac:

I know.. its a sad affair when I get excited at the prospect of a low milage bog standard family saloon...!

EDIT; GF's Grandad has the older model Corolla - 1990 1.8D. 111k miles on the clock.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

e39 520, NCT 4/13 for €1750:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3005385
    Full-9971114.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

93/16 = 5,800 miles PA.

Me arse.

Very plausible....my wifes 06 Fiesta only has 30k kms on it. That works out as 3400 miles PA

Dad's 1999 Hyundai Accent has less than 40k miles on it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I've an 02 megane with 51,000 miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

93/16 = 5,800 miles PA.

Me arse.

My mother did 35000 miles over six years..she drove it nearly every day. Ten minute journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Mother-in-laws '04 Panda has a genuine 24k miles on it with service history to back it up.

While rare, it is possible. Condition should reflect it though :)

Didn't realise it was auto, which makes it more plausible.

Still though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

One bottle of diptane from an NCT? :)

Pug 306 estate, with a 1.4. 900 euro

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/306/2000-peugeot-306-for-sale/1355756

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My mother did 35000 miles over six years..she drove it nearly every day. Ten minute journeys

To me, that's not a bargain car, any car with low mileage or high mileage made up of short journeys is a car that's much more worn than a motorway muncher.

There are two metrics to watch regarding engine wear and tear. oil changes based on mileage and oil changes based on time. For some reason, people almost exclusively focus on mileage. A car doing short journeys is rarely warming up sufficiently and in fact is running under 'extreme operating conditions'.

I'd prefer a high mileage well-sorted car for peanuts (due to flawed public perceptions), thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The headlights not matching on that e39 would bug me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement