Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Top Dog wrote: »
    Pre-HDI too so would happily run on veggie oil! :cool:

Depends on the injector pump, Lucas units don't really like veggie oil unless its pre heated so a two tank setup would be needed, costs could be prohibitive on a bangernomics budget.

Economic write off 4+ times over me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Kinda like the look of this.

Full-10269109.jpeg

<100k and NCT'd for six months for €675
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3068903

Baza210 wrote: »
    Kinda like the look of this.

Full-10269109.jpeg

<100k and NCT'd for six months for €675
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3068903

Never common, must be almost unique by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

cadaliac wrote: »
    Funny you say that because I found the footwell damp on the passanger side when investigating the utterly useless heater that the Mazda had. It was during the cold weather two years ago and no matter how high the fan was I couldn't get the feet warm enough. I later found out that heater matrix/system was leaking.
    Probably common enough fault so.

Yep the heaters in Mazdas and Toyotas can be pretty lame efforts alright. I suppose the immobiliser is something to be mindful of for anyone considering a 626, as it is a costly repair. As far as I recall it is under the steering wheel on my cousins but stand to be corrected on that one. Suppose it wouldn't take too much damp or condensation really to result in a problem eventually. A small bit of it over the years might cause enough corrosion to give you problems.

To the best of my knowledge the immobiliser could often be cut out of the circuit and bypassed on older cars but not so on the Mazda it would seem.

Anyhow back to the bangers. This one is on the rough side but ready with plenty of NCT. If the appearance doesn't bother you too much you might be onto a good thing. Might suit a farmer or handyman who might be towing trailers and whatnot into farmyards and building sites where the car is gonna be getting a few bumps anyway

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3079234

Pity some of these guys don't post up mileage though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Never common, must be almost unique by now.

The rover version sold well enough, I remember my uncle bought one new in 89.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Your joking me right? Of all the small cars I've drove that model Polo was the most horrendous on the motorway. Any slight bit of a cross wind or slight road imperfections resulted in very scary moments indeed. Not that any any other small car I've drove has being sh!t hot on the motorway, just that the Polo was especially bad. I'd definately consider the likes of the 1.25 fiesta to be at least a good notch above the Polo

Also, if you think your sparing juice at motorway speeds with the likes of that 1.0 litre engine in the Polo spinning at an insane rate then think again:)
    Wait, so my experience with 3 of these cars must be worth nothing? Well then I must have been dreaming then. I didn't find any problems with them doing 120km/h. Also, I found no problems economy wise about it being at 4200rpm, like I've said before, I've gotten 45mpg no problem in it.

Also, driving up to Belfast and back, there was many times of crosswind as well as overtaking trucks and I found no problem with it. I've also driven to Navan and back with no problems, as well as Galway, Athlone and other places. I would hardly do that in something that would be dangerous to drive.

Unless you got a crap example, I can't see why you could say these things about that car.

But hey, it's a forum. And I guess that preference of that car for getting around must have just been by fanboyism, not using my head and checking out other cars as well. I sure as hell don't know everything, but from what I've driven and other small cars I've checked out, my preference about them is because compared to other vehicles in that class it was the best value for money and the most refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Nice 2001 7 series only €2k NCT 2013

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3082007

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Carstuck wrote: »
    Nice 2001 7 series only €2k NCT 2013

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3082007

nice...........I'd have it!:pac:

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The rover version sold well enough, I remember my uncle bought one new in 89.

Yeah, but the Honda was an elusive beast. I remember one rolling onto the forecourt at a Nissan dealers where I was a humble forecourt attendant, back when forecourts had attendants.
    When the occupants went to look at the used stock and the Sales Manager of many years standing muttered under his breath to me 'oh would they ever **** off with their Rover', when I pointed out that it was a Honda, he had to go over and look because he'd never seen one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

barura wrote: »
    Wait, so my experience with 3 of these cars must be worth nothing? Well then I must have been dreaming then. I didn't find any problems with them doing 120km/h. Also, I found no problems economy wise about it being at 4200rpm, like I've said before, I've gotten 45mpg no problem in it.

Also, driving up to Belfast and back, there was many times of crosswind as well as overtaking trucks and I found no problem with it. I've also driven to Navan and back with no problems, as well as Galway, Athlone and other places. I would hardly do that in something that would be dangerous to drive.

Unless you got a crap example, I can't see why you could say these things about that car.

Not trying to imply that your experience counts for nothing. You seem to be quite a fan of that model Polo and you are very much entitled to your opinion but its totally at odds with the opinion I formed of them having owned one for a spell.

The one I had was a stop gap type of car for me. I put new tyres on it and put it through the NCT (hoping the NCT would highlight any problems affecting the road-holding of the car, bu then again maybe not) in the time I had it. Despite this I still found it very poor on the road compared to similar sized cars I've drove...the list being a 1.1 mark 3 fiesta, a 1.25 mark 4 fiesta, a 1.0 litre yaris, a 1.0 lite Micra and a 1.2 litre corsa. I remember driving over the hatched section at the end of a climbing lance once in the Polo (not at a serious speed). The car almost spun. I know that the problem would not have being as severe in any of the other afore mentioned cars.

I would have struggled to get over 40mpg on motorways in the Polo and that would be at 60mph (I still work in old money;)) as I would have being too scared to push it on further anyway. By comparison I would get similar if not marginally better mpg in my old 1.6 vectra or current 1.6 Avensis (and people say the 1.8 will give better mpg in them on the motorway). As I previously mentioned though this is going to be a problem with all smaller cars as they ain't generally built for motorway use and the engine is spinning too fast in them at motorway speeds.
    But hey, it's a forum. And I guess that preference of that car for getting around must have just been by fanboyism, not using my head and checking out other cars as well. I sure as hell don't know everything, but from what I've driven and other small cars I've checked out, my preference about them is because compared to other vehicles in that class it was the best value for money and the most refined.

Maybe there could be a chance you are not comparing the Polo to other similar small sized cars...which in my opinion are ahead in most areas. I remember learning to drive in a diesel corolla and thing it must surely be the best car ever to drive. Little did I know until I hopped into other cars for a spin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,602 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1994 LS400 €750 ono, 1 years NCT, nearly 20 years old but with those miles that engine is only just run in...

Full-9820837.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2973092

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

ongarite wrote: »
    Honda Accord, NCT 2/13 for €900:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2896726
    Full-9474725.jpeg

Thats a beauty, I'm very tempted can get insured on it for about 50 more than my 1.4 civic which I could probably sell for a bit more than this. Its just the fuel consumption would kill me, what mpg do you reckon you'd get from it. I really am very tempted.

The other worry is the ghost leaning against the wall in the 4th pic, ghosts are never a good sign :P

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

I believe it would be all down to what you prefare yourself here
    You must like the Polo having owned 3,having had a 99 Polo myself I can say they do what it expected of them but I couldnt see were you could say they are more refined than a fiesta of the same year .

I recently bought a Fiesta Ghia 2000 model with the 1.25 Zetec engine and all the extras ,taxed and nct for 700 euro.Its more comfortable to drive ,has better road holding and with it being a 16V has a little bit of zip in it
    The Polo as I said done what was required,but apart from electric windows
    had nothing else to offer

Foe the small money involved Id buy a Fiesta first anytime but as I said its whatever lights your candle:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Thats a beauty, I'm very tempted can get insured on it for about 50 more than my 1.4 civic which I could probably sell for a bit more than this. Its just the fuel consumption would kill me, what mpg do you reckon you'd get from it. I really am very tempted.

The other worry is the ghost leaning against the wall in the 4th pic, ghosts are never a good sign :P

They are very good cars, they actually handle really well for the age, MPG would be ok, around 25 - 30mpg ? had one in that colour myself (1.8 auto) till a truck took a shine to it...RIP :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Peugeot 406 estate TD. 174K miles. Needs NCT. Parts to hand. Was 900, now 600 asking.

View2-10217871.jpeg

Toyota Camry. Laois. €775 asking. NCT 2013. 230K miles, 2.2 petrol. Good nick. FTSH.

View2-10340642.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Link to ad?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I doubt its the cleanset car you'll ever see but I had to post it all the same. 500 quid buys I'd say....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3085015

Full-10348077.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

@johndaman66 and @Blue Punto

Thanks for your replies! A fair point, I guess I just liked the way a Polo feels compared to a Fiesta. Thuogh the joke is on me as I'm now on a '97 Pug 106 and its just too small! I'm sure the spacing between the pedals isn't legal anymore!

A friend is going away for a year so I'll be getting her corolla hopefully. That or full time employment arrives and I can get something a little nicer.

Anyways! Daysel Rover, 750 and a truck load of NCT til 6/13

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3034112

View2-10106425.jpeg

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Peugeot 406 estate TD. 174K miles. Needs NCT. Parts to hand. Was 900, now 600 asking.

View2-10217871.jpeg

Toyota Camry. Laois. €775 asking. NCT 2013. 230K miles, 2.2 petrol. Good nick. FTSH.

View2-10340642.jpeg

Thanks Esel. Sorry.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3083488 Camry

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3067616 Peugeot 406 estate 1.9TD

• Advertisement

@johndaman66 and @Blue Punto

Thanks for your replies! A fair point, I guess I just liked the way a Polo feels compared to a Fiesta. Thuogh the joke is on me as I'm now on a '97 Pug 106 and its just too small! I'm sure the spacing between the pedals isn't legal anymore!

A friend is going away for a year so I'll be getting her corolla hopefully. That or full time employment arrives and I can get something a little nicer.

Anyways! Daysel Rover, 750 and a truck load of NCT til 6/13

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3034112

View2-10106425.jpeg

@RoverJames flagged the Rover diesel about 2-3 weeks ago !

I'm surprised that's still there tbh, must have a really decent lash of miles on it but the long NCT is a big bonus. One went within a day or two with no test in Dublin a month or so ago, that one was washed and polished though with a better add.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm surprised that's still there tbh, must have a really decent lash of miles on it but the long NCT is a big bonus. One went within a day or two with no test in Dublin a month or so ago, that one was washed and polished though with a better add.
    The photos are quite poor to be honest and that may put some people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Alfa 166, NCT 4/13 for €900:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3069604
    Full-10272115.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Great find ongarite.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Crap dirty pics, bits of cosmetic damage, no nct, no tax....but its CHEAP....and could be loads of fun

I know i'll be slated that its not bangernomics, but if it was close i'd be having a look at it.

TOYOTA MRS
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/mr2/2001-toyota-mr2-for-sale/1323996

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

deadlast wrote: »
    Crap dirty pics, bits of cosmetic damage, no nct, no tax....but its CHEAP....and could be loads of fun

I know i'll be slated that its not bangernomics, but if it was close i'd be having a look at it.

TOYOTA MRS
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/mr2/2001-toyota-mr2-for-sale/1323996

Looks like it's on UK plates and seller seems to know sfa about the car too.. Still it is cheap but with VRT etc maybe not so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

166man wrote: »
    Looks like it's on UK plates and seller seems to know sfa about the car too.. Still it is cheap but with VRT etc maybe not so much..
    Its on irish plates, second pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

deadlast wrote: »
    Its on irish plates, second pic.

Ah right my mistake, only saw the first pic. Still with an NCT it would be worth much more so why not NCT it himself if he's sure it will "fly through"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I doubt its the cleanset car you'll ever see but I had to post it all the same. 500 quid buys I'd say....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3085015

Full-10348077.jpeg

What happened this ad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement