Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Blue Punto wrote: »
    The chrome grill came standard on the ghia model which also came with a plastic wood dash finish around the clocks and radio,it went around the heater dials too on 96-97 cars they stopped it around the heater dial between 98-00 then brought it back with the facelift.

The Zetec model never came with the chrome grill but did come with the sunroof ,electric windows and a better level of trim compare to the LX
    It was only available with the 1.25 Zetec engine where the LX was available with the Zetec engine and the older 1.3 Endura Unit
    Spotlights where and extra at purchase even on the Ghia model from 96-98(as were the alloy wheels)and became standard form 98

The wheels on that Fiesta are off a Ford Puma

I bow to your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

406 diesel, NCT 2/13. TAX 7/12 for €1250:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3101772
    Full-10424116.jpeg

Nearly 5 months 2.0 tax :)
    50+mpg :)
    Comfy :)
    Looks decent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Loads of test.
    2 months tax.
    Looks like a nice clean little starter car for peanuts.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3102914

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

W123-80's wrote: »
    Loads of test.
    2 months tax.
    Looks like a nice clean little starter car for peanuts.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3102914

Knew someting was amiss. it's a 1.6.

• Advertisement

Good spot. I just assumed it was 1.1l or something like that.

1.6 pretty much rules out the learner/starter driver possibilities.

Clean looking motor. Import?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Yeah, but it is a small car, so 1.6 should be just enough ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nearly 5 months 2.0 tax :)
    50+mpg :)
    Comfy :)
    Looks decent :)

Jeez are they really that good on mpg? I'm looking at them in a whole new light now.:)

W123-80's wrote: »
    Good spot. I just assumed it was 1.1l or something like that.

1.6 pretty much rules out the learner/starter driver possibilities.

Clean looking motor. Import?

i'd imagine so, they reg is very high.
    Seweryn wrote: »
    Yeah, but it is small car, so 1.6 should be just enough ;).

i drove an Xsi very recently. Quick little motors alright.

Remmy wrote: »
    Jeez are they really that good on mpg? I'm looking at them in a whole new light now.:)

Most diesels will return 50+ mpg on a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

RoverJames wrote: »
    Most diesels will return 50+ mpg on a run.

I've gotten 65mpg on a economy run before in an Xantia Hdi. I'd imagine the 406Hdi could result in the same fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

BX 19 wrote: »
    I've gotten 65mpg on a economy run before in an Xantia Hdi. I'd imagine the 406Hdi could result in the same fuel consumption.

I had a HDi 406 myself a few years back and used to get a constant 50+ mpg. you could get more but you need to drive like an old person. Slow.
    Those cars are very underrated and it was one of my biggest mistakes selling that car.
    It beats the Passat of the same vintage in every area, Barr the 130 bhp vw engine for power.
    It's also French so residuals were always good for the second hand market. Only problem is that now all the diesel 406's have intergalactic miles and it's hard to get a clean one for bangernomics money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Perhaps outside bangernomics territory, and yes there may be better finished examples but this looks original and un-altered. If i ever grew a decent set of laithroidi and actually acted on my objective to buy a sunday spin motor this would be something i would go for

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3087119

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Perhaps outside bangernomics territory, and yes there may be better finished examples but this looks original and un-altered. If i ever grew a decent set of laithroidi and actually acted on my objective to buy a sunday spin motor this would be something i would go for

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3087119

No leather, no climate control, no multi-function steering wheel (hence no cruise control), no mention of how long the NCT runs (so likely weeks rather than months). Retrofitted angeleyes, albeit they look genuine, would question the originality. For that money, you should be holding out for a facelift version with all the kit, there'll be a bit if chaff to wade through but they're out there. Oh yeah, no auto, but that's personal preference. Knock the first 1 off the price and its bangernomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

alias no.9 wrote: »
    No leather, no climate control, no multi-function steering wheel (hence no cruise control), no mention of how long the NCT runs (so likely weeks rather than months). Retrofitted angeleyes, albeit they look genuine, would question the originality. For that money, you should be holding out for a facelift version with all the kit, there'll be a bit if chaff to wade through but they're out there. Oh yeah, no auto, but that's personal preference. Knock the first 1 off the price and its bangernomics.

I would agree with everything stated above accept the fact that it's a manual. in this particular car, I personally think that the manual is an advantage. Little more mpg and go from the relatively small engine in that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

cadaliac wrote: »
    I would agree with everything stated above accept the fact that it's a manual. in this particular car, I personally think that the manual is an advantage. Little more mpg and go from the relatively small engine in that car.

Its as standard as you'll get in a BMW, with a long test its worth €800 max, I'd want a set of half decent wheels with that too :)

One for 2K, all the bits mentioned above but with programmable seats too.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2838319

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

patwicklow wrote: »
    Daewoo Lanos 2000 for 250e

Not if I managed to haggle 300 off the price would I drive one of those.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    One for 2K, all the bits mentioned above but with programmable seats too.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2838319

The furry dice would have to go

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Sounds like you are the man to take with me if i was to view this... I walk around the car.. kick tyres, small chat re the weather, leaping on the car boot to check the springs, then... i unleash you with your observations on the car that you've outlined above. The seller, obviously dazed by our knowledge of Beemers will be stuned into taking that first 1 off the price:D:D

In fairness though I take your point. I don't have a clue what to look out for in these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Sounds like you are the man to take with me if i was to view this... I walk around the car.. kick tyres, small chat re the weather, leaping on the car boot to check the springs, then... i unleash you with your observations on the car that you've outlined above. The seller, obviously dazed by our knowledge of Beemers will be stuned into taking that first 1 off the price:D:D

In fairness though I take your point. I don't have a clue what to look out for in these cars.

My view on the e39 is that you are treating yourself to a Sunday driver, you owe it to yourself to get at least a 525i just for the extra 2 cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

really cheap fiesta, rough paintwork,poor interior and nct up but hey, its a 00 1.25 for sub-400...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3101019

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Jimdagym wrote: »
    My view on the e39 is that you are treating yourself to a Sunday driver, you owe it to yourself to get at least a 525i just for the extra 2 cylinders.

Eh, the 520i and the 525i were both 6 cylinder!!!!

One for the luxury lovers, LS400 NCT 2/13 for €1200:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3003726
    Full-9963287.jpeg

i'd reccomend anyone to get one a 520i if they want a bit of class. Budget for a new cooling system (around 150-200 from Bmw iirc), but everything else can be got second hand readily as there are so many for scrap. The 2.2 has a sweet, sweet sound, albeit a bit heavy on juice due to the size of it.

But for 2-2.5k you should manage to get yourself a very comfortable, very undated and very good looking Bmw that cost some poor sucker 20 times than when it was new :D

A sunday car should be a proper treat, especially since all the extra kit doesn't really cost anything at this end of the market.

Almost 3 months tax.

NCT till May 2013.

Need to be knocking a bit of the asking, but low miles and very clean looking.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3087179

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I know I have a bit of a horn for this model, but there's about 400 squids worth of tax on this and tested til end Sept. Mileage is realistic enough, so unless there's a large problem somewhere, that's some serious bangernomics right there. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3086766

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement