Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    But that's what I'm asking you?
    I've plenty of experience with Rovers and have found them reliable.

I'm asking you again what would be the concern with a 170k miles Rover 75 diesel?

Regarding being pedantic, as asking price of €1450 is some way away from buying for €1500 in bangernomics land. As I mentioned in my previous post I'd expect the seller to let that go for €1200, I also mentioned when I first posted the car that with some haggling it would be decent.

2002 reg diesels with fresh NCT and new tyres for under €1500 aren't out there in huge numbers.

Fair enough if you find them reliable, but there's a reason that reliability isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Rovers.

It's hard to say that you would ''expect'' the seller to let the car go for nearly €300 less on a car worth €1450. As you say there probably aren't that many 2002 reg diesels with fresh NCT for under €1500 so what makes you think the seller would let it go for €1200?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

166man wrote: »
    Fair enough if you find them reliable, but there's a reason that reliability isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Rovers.

The 75 diesel is an extremely reliable car, I had one for 2 years.

It's hard to say that you would ''expect'' the seller to let the car go for nearly €300 less on a car worth €1450. As you say there probably aren't that many 2002 reg diesels with fresh NCT for under €1500 so what makes you think the seller would let it go for €1200?:confused:

its not hard at all, that's my opinion after buying and selling more than a few cars privately, might be wrong might be right, I reckon it wouldn't be far wrong.
    You're now saying its worth the asking price?
    What reason makes you think rovers are unreliable? Your aunts one again is it?

its not hard at all, that's my opinion after buying and selling more than a few cars privately, might be wrong might be right, I reckon it wouldn't be far wrong.
    You're now saying its worth the asking price?
    What reason makes you think rovers are unreliable? Your aunts one again is it?

What I said was that if you think that 2002 diesels with fresh NCT are few and far between why would you then assume the seller would knock €300 off a car for €1450? Doesn't make sense to me...

I think Rovers in general are unreliable from reading relaibility surveys online, my Aunt's experience with her 45/25( I can't exactly remember although it was a turquoise colour). She said herself it was a sh1t car. Dad had Freelander commercials in work a few years back and said they were poor too. Then changed to Hyundai Santa Fe's.

I do find it funny that as another poster put ''an alfafan and roverfan debating over relaibility'' gave me a good laugh. :pac:

If you think knocking 300 off 1450 leaves 1200 I'm not surprised that you're finding it hard to make sense of. Sure if you're aunt reckons rovers are **** and your dad does too I must be wrong so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some Rovers are as reliable as a Honda civic ;) well the best ones where Honda based IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Looking at the bangernomic route (again) so.....

Was looking at a high miler Volvo S80 d5 (2.4) for around 1.5k.

Anyone have any horror stories about these cars? Or, engines for that matter. I don't want to take the plunge if there are big diesel repair bills around the corner.
    I don't want a small jammer, I do some long journeys and I just like big(er) cars. I realise that the tax is (robbery) and as with any car, there could be issues, but I am looking for any experienced Volvo heads re: the S80 or d5 engine.

I heard that second hand parts are like hens teeth and I'm afraid to get educated the hard way about the "common" failures.

Cheers.

[QUOTE=RoverJames;77746079]If you think knocking 300 off 1450 leaves 1200 I'm not surprised that you're finding it hard to make sense of. Sure if you're aunt reckons rovers are **** and your dad does too I must be wrong so.[/QUOTE]

That's just such a stupid point and you know it too well. :rolleyes:

I was just going based on her experience, and the fact that the Freelanders they had in Dad's work were ''horrific'' as he put it. Plus a quick gander at the reliability surveys shows them as not being the best in the reliability stakes.

Anyway, trying to debate or reason with you is as pointless as ever RJ, so I'm done here. Rovers are reliable cars, you happy now? :rolleyes:

Rovers aren't terrible - but the 75 Diesel is very reliable, and so is the Diesel Freelander. Your limited experience of the brand is clouding your judgement.

Owen wrote: »
    Rovers aren't terrible - but the 75 Diesel is very reliable, and so is the Diesel Freelander. Your limited experience of the brand is clouding your judgement.

You are right being honest I have really only heard good stories about the 75 diesel. But too many bad stores about Rovers in general. I dunno I probably should try before giving an opinion but that's life I just went on what I was told and saw.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That's just such a stupid point and you know it too well. :rolleyes:

I was just going based on her experience, and the fact that the Freelanders they had in Dad's work were ''horrific'' as he put it. Plus a quick gander at the reliability surveys shows them as not being the best in the reliability stakes.

Anyway, trying to debate or reason with you is as pointless as ever RJ, so I'm done here. Rovers are reliable cars, you happy now? :rolleyes:

Ahhh lads. Can ye not both agree that they are both unreliable? :D:D

Anyway you two, kiss and make up, and let's get back on thread. I'm car shopping this weekend :D

Anyway, trying to debate or reason with you is as pointless as ever RJ...........

You made a point about a 170k mile car and couldn't back up any of it when asked, having something with which to back up a point is an integral part of a debate :)

You made a point about a 170k mile car and couldn't back up any of it when asked, having something with which to back up a point is an integral part of a debate :)

I said from what I had heard and read I don't think I'd trust a 170k mile Rover.

But again trying to reason with you in most arguments is just a pointless exercise, so I'm out.

You are right being honest I have really only heard good stories about the 75 diesel...............
    I said from what I had heard and read I don't think I'd trust a 170k mile Rover.

But again trying to reason with you in most arguments is just a pointless exercise, so I'm out.

Your posts contradict each other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Sure my old man had a Petrol 45 as a company car back in 2000. Put up what was around 150K Miles on it at the time. Not one problem with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Owen used to rave about his 75, it was obviously a great car. Pig ugly though. All the late models are. Awful looking yokes.

Sure my old man had a Petrol 45 as a company car back in 2000. Put up what was around 150K Miles on it at the time. Not one problem with it.

I read on a forum that they were horrific cars.

I come to this thread to view cars, but the last page and a bit has nothing but handbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I read on a forum that they were horrific cars.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Your posts contradict each other :)

Not really actually. I have heard many good stories about their reliability but not sure if I'd trust one with 170k miles on it.

Anyway back on topic, nice runaround with plenty of tax and NCT

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3158682

dahamsta wrote: »
    Owen used to rave about his 75, it was obviously a great car. Pig ugly though.

Jesus I'm trying like!! I'll get a haircut tomorrow, promise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

this is down the road from me, was just out walking the pooch and took a look, twas dark but it seems in decent nick, test till August, some small marks but otherwise in good shape - pity its povo spec with cloth and steelies - but for a grand??

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3038646

only damage is passenger side wing mirror is cracked at the back and is taped up with gaffer tape -

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3159514

View2-10701169.jpeg

Almost completed its third return trip from the moon allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is this bangeromics or bitcheromics, I want more cheap car ads!

Here's a GOOD YOKE to get us back on track :pac:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3157881

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

What do we reckon lads?
    Looks pretty clean and he's asking for €400.
    65k seems quite low though so I'm thinking it might have been clocked?

Needs a tyre and brake pads, says brake pads come with the sale. Bit iffy about it but for €400...

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633627a81c94c47aed7a7391edc9f1b25a2b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

baraca wrote: »
    Is this bangeromics or bitcheromics, I want more cheap car ads!

Here's a GOOD YOKE to get us back on track :pac:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3157881

Fck me that's rough. But full marks for effort

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

CianRyan wrote: »
    What do we reckon lads?
    65k seems quite low though so I'm thinking it might have been clocked?

Needs a tyre and brake pads, says brake pads come with the sale. Bit iffy about it but for €400...

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633627a81c94c47aed7a7391edc9f1b25a2b.jpg

If those tyres are new you have your money right there (but maybe it's just the dressing making them look nice and shiny...)

CianRyan wrote: »
    What do we reckon lads?
    65k seems quite low though so I'm thinking it might have been clocked?..........

Low miles on a 1.0 isn't that unusual, may well be genuine, seller claims they have old NCT certs, if they have all of them that would go some way to prove it's not clocked.

I'd have the attitude so what it's clocked :)
    If it checks out as straight and sound, at the price you can't go wrong.

Now, I'd hate to have a crash in one of them or a Saxo tbh, if you plan on doing lots of spins home (Waterford iirc ?) I'd sooner do that in the likes of a Polo or fiesta than a 106. It does look quite tasty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ninap wrote: »
    If those tyres are new you have your money right there

It'd be great if they were but who buys 3 new tyres for a car and decides to leave the last?

If it only needs one new tyres then I guess tracking would need to be sorted too?
    Starting to sound like a lot more than €400.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement