Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I know I know, 10 outta 10 on the crapometer but its great ordinary motoring for the ordinary man. Surely bought for 8 or 900 quid.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3208357

View2-10937564.jpeg

Possibly the best car in the world ever and all for 700 quid ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3102046

Full-10425345.jpeg

Savage one there the last three :)
    I think the Galant are a great looking yoke, this is the link to the add for the Jag http://www.octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=9327, no NCT but still, the guts of 3 months tax is decent. Has been 4+ years without a test though and needs a windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

+1 on the Galant, still an excellent looking car despite their age

• Advertisement

On the Mitsi theme the sister's €600 Carisma is returning about 32mpg for her, not too bad really to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I know I know, 10 outta 10 on the crapometer but its great ordinary motoring for the ordinary man. Surely bought for 8 or 900 quid.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3208357

View2-10937564.jpeg
    Not slagging the ad or the car, but the ad states
    Similar car to volvo s40 s70 v40 v70
    Wait, maybe I am slagging the car? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

View2-10103216.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3033406

New NCT, nice colour combination and a low mileage with service history. I'd maybe chance €1000 and see what happens. Regardless could be a fine car for €1200 ish...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

166man wrote: »
    New NCT, nice colour combination and a low mileage with service history. I'd maybe chance €1000 and see what happens. Regardless could be a fine car for €1200 ish...

Been on sale for an age, its dropped right into impulse purchase price now. Think it was over 2K a few weeks ago.

New NCT........

No NCT at the moment and no mention of belt history either. Sounds like a SideOfTheRoad Motors special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

RoverJames wrote: »
    No NCT at the moment and no mention of belt history either. Sounds like a SideOfTheRoad Motors special.
    Shur they all come with recent "full services", belts and CV joints changed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Thats a very clean looking 166.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Thats a very clean looking 166.

It is that, I worked for a chap who had one about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Full-10949902.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3210815

€975 with tax and nct until September. Not too bad.

View2-10103216.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3033406

Sold 40 minutes ago. Can you just hear the conversation on the way home now ....

" Its a minter, a bloody minter. Oh man, I cant beleive I just bought a 166 ...... What have I done " :D

Sold 40 minutes ago. Can you just hear the conversation on the way home now ....

" Its a minter, a bloody minter. Oh man, I cant beleive I just bought a 166 ...... What have I done " :D

I phoned twice and it rang out :(

I reckon that'll pop up again very soon.

Jeez you really love your belt history don't you RJ? Never seen you post about an Alfa and not commented about the timing belts...:rolleyes:

The add states that a new NCT could be put on for the new buyer. So it's probably safe to assume that it's in reasonable mechanical order and/or that the seller would be willing to fix whatever is wrong for the NCT...

Jeez you really love your belt history don't you RJ? Never seen you post about an Alfa and not commented about the timing belts...:rolleyes:........

Well when Alfa themselves put the interval on the 4 cylinder twin sparks to 36k miles because so many of them were snapping I reckon it's a decent point to make ;)

There are other makes of car I'd happily run to 100k miles and beyond on the factory belts ;)

Well when Alfa themselves put the interval on the 4 cylinder twin sparks to 36k miles because so many of them were snapping I reckon it's a decent point to make ;)

You're right it is a decent point to make, it's just you make it at least once a week at this stage... Doesn't need to be made every time an Alfa comes up for sale. At the amount I drive and others too 36k miles is quite a bit you know...

• Advertisement

......... Doesn't need to be made every time an Alfa comes up for sale. .......

So are you proposing that no one mentions the belts when an Alfa is posted here or just me?
    I also don't agree that I make the point once a week.

You're right it is a decent point to make, it's just you make it at least once a week at this stage... Doesn't need to be made every time an Alfa comes up for sale.

I know where you're coming from with that comment but i'm still with RJ on this one despite his obvious prejudice. Its like buying a Saab, every time you'd ask about sludge. Buying a modern diesel, you'd ask about the turbo and the DMF. 90's BM and the engine block trouble, the list goes on. T-Belt on an Alfa is just always a question that needs to be asked. ;)

I know where you're coming from with that comment but i'm still with RJ on this one despite his obvious prejudice........

I've mentioned more than a few times on here I'd happily buy and drive an Alfa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I sorted on of those Kia Rios (2003) for the brother back in October for not a lot more than the asking there with only 30k on it. I was actually pleasantly suprised at the drive quality, though the gearbox is as vague as I've ever felt. Spongy. The paint is thin, the trim on the doors chips very easily. The back seat is wafer thin, its like sitting on the deck, but they are cheap to run, cheap to service (a precautionary timing belt was less than €200....fitted!) cheap to tax, cheap to buy. Cheap, really. Okay, it feels it, but if I was on a tight budget I wouldn't hesitate.

I know where you're coming from with that comment but i'm still with RJ on this one despite his obvious prejudice. Its like buying a Saab, every time you'd ask about sludge. Buying a modern diesel, you'd ask about the turbo and the DMF. 90's BM and the engine block trouble, the list goes on. T-Belt on an Alfa is just always a question that needs to be asked. ;)

It's not asking about it, it's just I can't remember when I saw a comment by RJ not relating to an Alfa's timing belt. Ask away but I don't think it needs to be mentioned each time a clean Alfa comes up. There are other parts on an Alfa that are also weak points.

Ah well each to their own and all that.

It's not asking about it, it's just I can't remember when I saw a comment by RJ not relating to an Alfa's timing belt............

I've mentioned it more than a few times regarding 1.8 diesel fords too, I can't really see why you have a problem with it.

I can't really see why you have a problem with it.

Not obvious enough for you? You seem to mention it every time an Alfa comes up in Bangernomics... Did you know that the front suspension is a known weak point in most Alfas?

............ Did you know that the front suspension is a known weak point in most Alfas?

I do indeed, I've mentioned it more than a few time too ;) Easy to spot on a testdrive for even the biggest of gnomes though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64544398
    What about the suspension issues, the thing with Alfas is it typically costs more to maintain them. Realistically a €1500 Alfa won't be wise move.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70369095

Suspension bits and the short frequency of timing belts are the only thing that would put me off. Suspension are not drive and 2 ton jack friendly jobs and the I wouldn't chance driving an Alfa that was overdue a cambelt change, lots of other cars I would without too much worry. The costs of the cambelt change relative to the purchase price of the car is not insignificant in my view. So buying one for €1200 that's due a belt is not really savage value for a 2001 ish car with 100K miles on it :)

There doesn't seem to be that many old 156s about now though so a good one would be nice to have, I hate driving around in something that loads of folks have.

Edit: I'd agree with above point, a decent spec Accord would be money better spent.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75018330
    The twin spark rubbish is the greatest load of unnecessary crap ever (in a small capacity car engine), little if any actual benefit, why they persisted with it I'll never understand. They saw the light eventually I suppose.

Also from a manufacturing view point the fragility of the valve timing train is also another weakness and nothing to be proud of. Tensioners were chocolate. Interval aside the timing assembly on them was simply not a great design.

When the 156 was introduced Alfa were pushing the message of how they have overcome the reliability issues, as the time I used to deliver parts to an alfa mechanic on a Saturday who used to do some work on the side, he was telling me that as the salemen were bleating onto potential customers about the reliability (at the time lots of reps were getting 156s, pre diesel days really I suppose) the workshop was full of warranty jobs, there were a lot of early ones that had issues with the balance belt, not enough teeth on it so it used to hop off.

Personally I'd be slow to buy a car that mightn't make 36k miles after a belt change. If it goes it's fairly serious.

I also reckon the 156 is a cramped enough car for the driver. The built around the driver lark doesn't cut it, so is an ST202 Celica and you don't get the squashed feeling. The non leathered ones are cheap and nasty looking. And the suspension is chocolately too.

The handling of a 156 isn't wonderful, it's better than a Vectra alright but not up there with a Mark3 mondeo, the 156 is woeful in a crash too.

The 159s are GM engined so aren't real Alfas in my opinion.

blowkiss2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jeez you really love your belt history don't you RJ? Never seen you post about an Alfa and not commented about the timing belts...:rolleyes:

The add states that a new NCT could be put on for the new buyer. So it's probably safe to assume that it's in reasonable mechanical order and/or that the seller would be willing to fix whatever is wrong for the NCT...

There are other makes of car I'd happily run to 100k miles and beyond on the factory belts ;)

TBH as an Alfa lover I wouldn't be too worried about the belts as long as it was running fine at the point of sale, I'd be planning on changing them myself (for obvious reasons) anyway, I'd also factor that into the sale.

Editr: Can say the 156 actually was pretty good in a head on smash, well, below30mph anyway ;)

• Advertisement

Oh look, a post with a car in it......

View2-10867333.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3193496

NCT till years end. A good bit of work done. Cant go wrong for €600.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement