Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun light

Options
  • 06-01-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

can anyone recommend me a good decent gun light for a rifle,something small compact and long range beam out to 200metres or that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

can anyone recommend me a good decent gun light for a rifle,something small compact and long range beam out to 200metres or that.

For 200metres your only bet is a Lightforce 140.

I have one I'm not using, you can take it on trial and if you like it we'll agree on a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

thanks dan,would you need a big battery to power that?are any of the scope lights with the batteries built in any good like the tracer lights?

thanks dan,would you need a big battery to power that?are any of the scope lights with the batteries built in any good like the tracer lights?

The LED Lensers are a great light, but you'd need one of the bigger ones for that kind of range.

For the lightforce I use an 18ah 12v motorbike battery. I keep it in a schoolbag on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

Hello HunterPajero.

The CB2 light by Clulight is a very good light, and can be gun mounted, easily go out to 300 hundred yrds plus they are very robust much stronger that the Light force but the beam out of the light force 140 might be that bit better. I use the 140 lightforce for walking around on my own. with the clulight battery pack 12v 7amh. But if I was to have only one lamp it would be a clulight much stronger and better wiring all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'll see Glensmans 140 and raise him a Lightforce 170! Bigger reflector, so you can play around with the different wattage bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

And John I'll see that and raise you one of these http://www.hidspotlights.com.au/

Vizzy wrote: »
    And John I'll see that and raise you one of these http://www.hidspotlights.com.au/

Yeah looked into that technology before and decided against them at the time because there was a warm up time, they weren't dimmable, too bright, make a noise, and there was a risk of a large shock.

Some, all, or none of that may have changed in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Glensman wrote: »
    The LED Lensers are a great light, but you'd need one of the bigger ones for that kind of range.

For the lightforce I use an 18ah 12v motorbike battery. I keep it in a schoolbag on my back.
    Don't forget to take your homework out of your schoolbag before you go out lamping. LOL:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

Have a look here... Got the t20c2 m2 and realy happy with it, came with 3 colour filters also.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/gun-lights.html

Just noticed its out of stock. Second choice would be fenix tk11.

johngalway wrote: »
    I'll see Glensmans 140 and raise him a Lightforce 170! Bigger reflector, so you can play around with the different wattage bulbs.

He wanted compact John! :D

• Advertisement

Glensman wrote: »
    He wanted compact John! :D

There's just over an inch in the difference :p

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

crx=== wrote: »
    Have a look here... Got the t20c2 m2 and realy happy with it, came with 3 colour filters also.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/gun-lights.html

Just noticed its out of stock. Second choice would be fenix tk11.

is the first one only for air rifles?what distance do it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

The t20c2 m2 has good flood and large hotspot up to 200m with fairly decent illumanation the fenix is more of a thrower with a narrow beam and tight hotspot.
    Information on both of these lights can be found on candlepowerforums.
    The newer version of the t20c2 m2 eagletac with the xm-l emitter should have distance up to 300m + but battery time and heat could be an issue.

johngalway wrote: »
    Yeah looked into that technology before and decided against them at the time because there was a warm up time, they weren't dimmable, too bright, make a noise, and there was a risk of a large shock.

Some, all, or none of that may have changed in the mean time.

Was lucky enough to be in Oz in the recent past and had a look at the HID lamps.
    They didn't actually have the handheld versions in stock but they showed me the vehicle mounted version(basically a lightforce 240,or in this case four lamps, that you mount on a jeep).
    You are right John,they have a serious amount of light versus the standard version and consequently a serious amount of heat.
    I think that they retailed for about $1,000 a pair:eek:
    As far as I know they don't export them and even if they did they would be very expensive to have posted here.
    Serious piece of kit though.

As far as I know they don't export them and even if they did they would be very expensive to have posted here.
    Serious piece of kit though.

Have a search around the forum, I emailed Lightforce about the HID technology and posted their replies to the forum. The postage wasn't the problem, the hundreds of Euro price tag was! Too rich for this sheep farmer.

I had a root around the forum and your discussion took place while I was away.
    Having seen the real thing,so to speak,I wouldn't even attempt to "rig up" a HID from assorted parts.
    As I said earlier the light and heat were pretty much off the scale and I can only assume that this brings its own problems and that was on a factory built unit.I must say that it looked very neat and tidy though.
    Also I got the impression that the HID would not necessarily increase your range but the light is simply "cleaner" and would give you a much better/clearer view of the target at a given distance.
    For €400 though I wonder would it be worth it.

I had a root around the forum and your discussion took place while I was away.
    Having seen the real thing,so to speak,I wouldn't even attempt to "rig up" a HID from assorted parts.
    As I said earlier the light and heat were pretty much off the scale and I can only assume that this brings its own problems and that was on a factory built unit.I must say that it looked very neat and tidy though.
    Also I got the impression that the HID would not necessarily increase your range but the light is simply "cleaner" and would give you a much better/clearer view of the target at a given distance.
    For €400 though I wonder would it be worth it.

Meh, not worth it for me I'm afraid. Another plus is the supposed power saving, so I could double my battery time. Comes to a point where I may as well let the foxes eat the lambs and it'd work out cheaper than shooting them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

buying my own xmas present here ...is this still the daddy of lights for night searching for livestock/foxes?

I borrowed a mate's one lately and was more than impressed!

Rang some shop in Stradbally that had ad in farmers journal E210 delivered.. getting it £98.99 stg off of either amazon or ebay.co.uk delivered to my other mate in UK that is coming home for xmas anyway.. they made in UK by Cluson.. it has to be same quality ye reckon?

Advertisement