Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first build in a few years! Advice welcome :-)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd stick with the 2500K (the 2320 is a huge downgrade when you take into account overclocking) but I'd sub in the rest of Omen's suggestions.

The case: Though the picture doesn't show it, the Merc Beta actually has a sine panel window. The Alpha is the one with the fan vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MahatmaGeansai

Thanks a mill folks,

Trying to do a price comparison between doing my own build and just buying a dell. Anyone have any idea what the savings can be percentage wise when looking for the type of machine I've specced here?

Am i better off with the Merc Alpha?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

speaking from experience it'll prob save u money in the long run to build yourself the above specced machine

u'll be able overclock the cpu ( assuming u go with the 2500k) to squeeze extra performance which a dell will not allow you to do unless u buying one of their alienware computers which could cost u up to 2 times the cost of what is specced here

sure, dell can be convenient if u dont have he money up front but they are restrictive thesedays in what u can choose re cpu etc

I wish i had built my own first time round as upgrading a dell can be troublesome. U dont really get value for money in what u spend with them, sure they are well priced and specced on paper but i think over time it is better to go the self build as with a tweak here and there in a yrs time or more (GPU wise if u wann keep up with trends etc) u'll have a crackin machine for yrs to come

• Advertisement

Thanks Omen,

That's all I needed to hear. I was leaning towards the self build all along but couldn't help but be enticed by the dells and how it easy it all is with them.

I used to build all my own PCs back in my college days (early naughties) and always got a great sense of satisfaction from it.

Just trying to justify it to myself now that I'm saving a few squid over the dells.

Do i need to get a separate heatsink with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

No, the processor comes with one. It won't be very good for overclocking (or the quietest thing on the market) but it will do the job.

Advertisement