Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crabs

Options
  • 06-01-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

hi,
    my scorpion kicked the bucket today,
    im pondering on changing the tank around and getting crabs instead of another scorp.
    would a 55 litre tank be big enough to keep small crabs?
    i seen some in a petshop a few months back and they looked class/different.
    what are the easier breeds to look after?
    what do they need as in water,land,food,heat etc...

sorry for all the questions but i dont want to get something i cant look after properly:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

To be honest, most species are very different.
    If its Rainbow Crabs you saw purple and orange? These are actually a land crab despite a certain petshop in town keeping them in a tank full of water with no land area. They will fade to a pretty drab brown as they age too so lose their attraction a bit.
    You will also need a substantial tank with filter/heater and enough depth of sand/ gravel to burrow in( should be mostly land with a section of water), some vegetation etc. They are also territorial so can't be kept with anything else. They are omnivorous but would need to have fresh food and any stale food removed every day as they are very intolerant to dirt.

Rules for the tank and care will be similar for other species of land crabs but some such as vampire crabs can be kept in colonies. In my opinion they're the coolest looking too! Don't know anything about Marine species but hopefully someone else can shed some light for you.

Hope this helps
    z

Advertisement