Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying & Living in a Mobile Home in South Dublin

Options
  • 06-01-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Mod's apologises if this is in the wrong section, can't seem to find anywhere we're this would be relevant.

Ok, here's a quick run up to what I'm trying to find out here. I'm with my misses 5 years and we're looking to move in together and buy our own home.

Our current situation is she is working full-time and I've been on welfare since 2008 after I was made redundant. So as ye can imagine getting ahead is very hard. But we we're giving some help, my folks have said they would allow us to buy a mobile home and set up in there backgarden (rent free) so that we can save for a deposit on a house/mortage. They own the land btw.

We both are completly against state bumming, and manipulating the system. So anything to do with that is off the table. I will be getting full-time employment later this year, so we need this mobile home to last us the guts of 4 years so that we can get a deposit together to buy our home.

What problems will we come up against?
    Do we need planning permission?
    How does the sewerage, extra electricity water & meters work?

I emailed the South Dublin County Council and still no reply, and theres no information on there website about this.

Any posters out there that can help me, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Seán

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Moved from state benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Planning permission?

Fire access?

That's even before you start thinking about electricity, sewage, etc. Without planning permission and safety issues being covered, I can't see this being a runner at all. Sorry. (but am not an expert!)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

If it's your folks house and your living out the back garden get a plumber in to rig up the sewage, get a sparks in to rig up the electricity then pay your folk a set fee based on what their new bill is minus what the average bill is. It's none of the neighbors business what you do just don't flaunt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

the GALL wrote: »
    If it's your folks house and your living out the back garden get a plumber in to rig up the sewage, get a sparks in to rig up the electricity then pay your folk a set fee based on what their new bill is minus what the average bill is. It's none of the neighbors business what you do just don't flaunt it.

Ignore this advice. You need planning permission as same will be used as a dwelling house. Only cowboys would even consider doing the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pwal05

Technically it is temporary accommodation and you have 6 months with it. I know several people who have mobile homes in their parents garden for years and nothing has ever been said. It comes down to your neighbours, if they don't like it and report you to the council then they will make you take it out. If they don't report you then the council will never bother you.
    I did the same myself, bought a decent mobile for 2,000, lived in it for 2 years. Saved 12,000 on rent and sold it on for just under 1000.
    Worth looking into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

set up in there backgarden
    How accessible to a road is the back garden? Remember: you'll need a truck to get it out there.

Advertisement