Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government on a rampage ?

• 07-01-2012 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

- Over 5,600 child benefits suspended.
    - VAT now 23%
    - Household charge.
    - Pensions over 18k a year getting taxed.
    - Accordingly over 16,000 reports made to the social welfare (I mention this because I think thats a bogus official figure. To entice more people to report rather than the genuine number of reports)
    - Nixers are getting cut down on. I know a bloke who does deliveries for a takeaway in Ballyfermot and the tax man went into the takeaway asking them to give names of their drivers. Two other takeaways in the area were visited by the tax man on the same day.

:eek: ... what next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

loose women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

A new 50% VAT rate on piss blasting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If they mention pay cut I'm resigning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They'll never get ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Gotta do something when you can't create a proper job in this country OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I know a bloke who does deliveries for a takeaway in Ballyfermot and the tax man went into the takeaway asking them to give names of their drivers. Two other takeaways in the area were visited by the tax man on the same day. ... what next?
    I'm guessing he is going to visit some more take-aways, the fat bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a 1c tax on farting. id be fucked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

- Nixers are getting cut down on. I know a bloke who does deliveries for a takeaway in Ballyfermot and the tax man went into the takeaway asking them to give names of their drivers.

Problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I know it's crazy right! It's as if we're in debt or something?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

- Nixers are getting cut down on. I know a bloke who does deliveries for a takeaway in Ballyfermot and the tax man went into the takeaway asking them to give names of their drivers. Two other takeaways in the area were visited by the tax man on the same day.

You had the makings of an OK post till this, if you work you pay tax. Do you think nixers is a magic word that makes it ok? If you work you pay tax, if you claim dole and take money on the side, when found out, your dole should be cut to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat,
    If you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

My God. The poor people were only given 42 days to respond to a request for information to establish whether they were entitled to Children's Allowance.

It's an outrage. They should have been given at least two years I suppose???

THE COUNTRY IS BUST.

Let's not pay stuff we don't have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's only money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Plenty are still working ..if you are and the majority are things are not so bad,,yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

It's all the single mothers fault you know, yeah single mothers and dem non nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Senna wrote: »
    You had the makings of an OK post till this, if you work you pay tax. Do you think nixers is a magic word that makes it ok? If you work you pay tax, if you claim dole and take money on the side, when found out, your dole should be cut to nothing.

Friend isnt on the dole. He has a job. Does deliveries to earn a bit more cash. He is married with kids.

But some how I feel you didnt have a problem when you ordered from a takeaway in the past. When collecting your food did you tell him that he should get taxed ... or if he was on the dole that it should be cut to nothing? .... bet you didnt. Bet you just say "here you go, thanks!" ... probably gave him a tip to right.

Friend isnt on the dole. He has a job. Does deliveries to earn a bit more cash. He is married with kids.

He should pay his taxes like everyone else.

If he was evading, I hope they clobber the crap out of him with fines and penalties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Loved the way you skipped of the next bit I said. Here it is again:
    But some how I feel you didnt have a problem when you ordered from a takeaway in the past. When collecting your food did you tell him that he should get taxed ... or if he was on the dole that it should be cut to nothing? .... bet you didnt. Bet you just say "here you go, thanks!" ... probably gave him a tip to right.

I direct this to Senna and you now.
    If you believe everyone and what they do should get taxed. Fair enough :) but why support the takeaway delivery thing if you are totally against them doing it as a nixer?

• Advertisement

It's all the single mothers fault you know, yeah single mothers and dem non nationals.

I think that is too general, but the ones who are defrauding the Welfare system certainly have a share of responsibility alright.

If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat,
    If you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet.

TAXMAAAAAAN!!

dewnewnew dewnewnew diddlydewNEWnew....

Does he declare his income from that job? No. So we should all just pay tax when we feel like it?

So i should ask everyone during my daily business if their paying tax? I dont assume everyone is not paying tax, because most people do.

Loved the way you skipped of the next bit I said. Here it is again:

I direct this to Senna and you now.

Why are you directing that at me now?

Firstly, I never order food deliveries and secondly, if I did, I would expect that the person delivering the food would already be paying his taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

Don't ask OP, more than likely you don't want to know what's coming next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

they had six weeks to respond to a letter sent to the address of the social welfare payment. why didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

TAXMAAAAAAN!!

dewnewnew dewnewnew diddlydewNEWnew....

George Harrison knew what he was talkin bout!

Senna wrote: »
    So i should ask everyone during my daily business if their paying tax? I dont assume everyone is not paying tax, because most people do.

Senna,
    Everyone knows that a takeaway delivery driver is a tax free job. Always has been. You cant play the card of "well, how was I supposed to know" in this one.

If you feel that this nixer should be taxed. thats fair enough. I wont argue. But at the same time how can you be on that side knowing you have given money to them if you are against the nixer.

Sky King wrote: »
    They'll never get ME!

If they ever got ME, that'll be the time to party as they'll be too tired to sort it out!

• Advertisement

Why are you directing that at me now?

Firstly, I never order food deliveries and secondly, if I did, I would expect that the person delivering the food would already be paying his taxes.

You honestly saying that in your entire life, you have never ordered a takeaway to your house? ;)
    Be it pizza, be it chinese, be it a burger etc.

- VAT now 23%
    - Household charge.
    - Pensions over 18k a year getting taxed.

You do realise that this was all outlined in the budget last December?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Senna,
    Everyone knows that a takeaway delivery driver is a tax free job. Always has been. You cant play the card of "well, how was I supposed to know" in this one.

If you feel that this nixer should be taxed. thats fair enough. I wont argue. But at the same time how can you be on that side knowing you have given money to them if you are against the nixer.
    What an absolutely ridiculous argument.

You honestly saying that in your entire life, you have never ordered a takeaway to your house? ;)

No. I don't eat takeaways.

they had six weeks to respond to a letter sent to the address of the social welfare payment. why didn't they?

You're dead right.

Because a fair share of them are not entitled to it. Social Welfare picked them for a reason alright!!

I'll lay money that the majority of those who didn't respond are what we would commonly know as Thieves!

Just like the delivery nixer man who doesn't pay his fair share of taxes (but is willing to use the infrastructure that everyone else has to pay for).

El Weirdo wrote: »
    What an absolutely ridiculous argument.

:pac: and how is that?

Lets say I hate the way how a person does deliveries for a takeaway and does not pay any tax. I hate it. I feel its wrong. I feel they should pay tax like the rest of us. Sounds fair right?

But then I often order from takeways to be delivered :confused: .. I pay 2 euro more for his charge. :confused: I hate it... but yet im willing to pay to his wage?

• Advertisement

Senna,

Your clutching at straws here. But i'll answer anyway, i live about 10 miles outside the nearest town in Donegal, i have never got a delivery here (AFAIK no-one will deliver this far out of town). If i want food from a take-away i go get it myself.

Your friend is guilty of tax evasion, don't try and make me out to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

Senna,

A takeaway drivers job is not a "tax free" job. The drivers just dont declare it which is against the law. It is not the responsibility of the person who answers the door to their dinner to make sure the driver is tax compliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Quit yer bitchin OP, and take your medicine like the rest of us.

I met a woman who was in my class today, 36 years old, separated, three kids, still paying 250 a month on a personal loan for a house she no longer occupies, - not looking for any part of it, cos it's on her ex husband's family land, paying her rent, supporting her kids, and working a fairly crap job that I'd imagine pays probably 400 pw max.
    Important bit : She told me how happy she now is, that her loan has only another year on it, and then it's finished, how it's great that aldi are coming to our town, - cheaper shopping, how she invites her friends round for coffee instead of blowing money on €2.50 coffees at an overpriced cafe, on and on, with a smile on her face.

It's all about attitude, and with your's, you'd miserable on a half a million a year, you'd still find something to bitch about.

You're like Paulie Walnuts :pac:
    Go away before you depress the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lets say I hate the way how a person does deliveries for a takeaway and does not pay any tax. I hate it. I feel its wrong. I fell they should pay tax like the rest of us. Sounds fair right?

But then I often order from takeways to be delivered :confused: .. I pay 2 euro more for his charge. :confused: I hate it... but yet im willing to pay to his wage?

FFS :mad:

People pay taxes to the state. Part of the role of the state is to ensure others pay theirs.

It's not up to an individual to ensure every cash transaction is tax-compliant.

Stop it.

By the way LighterGuy, you are complicit.

If you know that there is evasion going on, you should do the decent thing.

It's your money that is being stolen too.

• Advertisement

conor1979 wrote: »
    A takeaway drivers job is not a "tax free" job. The drivers just dont declare it which is against the law. It is not the responsibility of the person who answers the door to their dinner to make sure the driver is tax compliant!

"tax free" job is an expression for something off the books :rolleyes:
    Jesus, what if i said "its raining cats and dogs outside" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Except for Bertie. He doesn't pay his taxes. That maggot is protected with a tribunal and now more than likely it will be too late to seek equailty and chase the fcuker. Do you think the pensioners underdeclaring any income will be protected by a tribunal?

Why are people happy/not bothered with such divisions in society.

"Here's your curry - that'll be €12, please"

"Oh, cheers. Can I get a receipt?"

"Yeah, no problem"

"And a copy of your latest payslip?"

"Eh?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

FFS :mad:

People pay taxes to the state. Part of the role of the state is to ensure others pay theirs.

It's not up to an individual to ensure every cash transaction is tax-compliant.

Stop it.
    ^This.

"Here's your curry - that'll be €12, please"

"Oh, cheers. Can I get a receipt?"

"Yeah, no problem"

"And a copy of your latest payslip?"

"Eh?"

"Let me just check your car for insurance and tax"

"once you provide a urine sample for the drugs test, i'll give you a tip":D

El Weirdo wrote: »
    ^This.

But people know a takeway driver is a nixer. So if someone is against the idea of this person not paying tax (fair enough) ... why pay him? :confused:

thats the thing I dont get. all you people are saying its wrong, he should pay tax etc. Ok again, fair enough. But why order something to be delivered then? .. why give him the 2 euro if you are against it FFS?

But people know a takeway driver is a nixer.

That's honestly the first time I've ever heard that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

But people know a takeway driver is a nixer. So if someone is against the idea of this person not paying tax (fair enough) ... why pay him? :confused:

thats the thing I dont get. all you people are saying its wrong, he should pay tax etc. Ok again, fair enough. But why order something to be delivered then? .. why give him the 2 euro if you are against it FFS?
    Because once they get their food they don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You can't argue with a ....

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Because once they get their food they don't care.

thank you! :)
    I was building up to this... but you said it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement