Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government on a rampage ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

That's honestly the first time I've ever heard that.

then ...

1, you are lying.
    or
    2, you've been living under a rock all your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat,
    If you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet.

Written at a time when there was a 95% income tax rate in the UK for the superich (the so called supertax). The Beatles could well afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

LighterGuy wrote: »
    - Over 5,600 child benefits suspended.- brilliant, anyone cheating the system wont get away with it anymore
    - VAT now 23%
    - Household charge.- a charge that most other countries in Europe have had for years if not decades, we were lucky to not have it for the last 50 years.
    - Pensions over 18k a year getting taxed. - reduced down from €20,000 and if its a couple it is €36,000 and then marginal relief can be claimed on on any tax paid on a higher figure, still pretty good to get that much TAX FREE!
    - Accordingly over 16,000 reports made to the social welfare (I mention this because I think thats a bogus official figure. To entice more people to report rather than the genuine number of reports) -even if its half that as long as it catchs the cheats then fair play.
    - Nixers are getting cut down on. I know a bloke who does deliveries for a takeaway in Ballyfermot and the tax man went into the takeaway asking them to give names of their drivers. Two other takeaways in the area were visited by the tax man on the same day.- so they would have to actually pay their taxes which they are legally entitled to do, whats the problem here?

:eek: ... what next?

To be honest is this the best you can come up with?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

then ...

1, you are lying.
    or
    starbelgrade has lived a very sheltered life, he tried to justify Curry's advertising for unpaid interns yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

then ...

1, you are lying.
    or

Or, 3. None of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

But people know a takeway driver is a nixer.
    No they don't.
    So if someone is against the idea of this person not paying tax (fair enough) ... why pay him? :confused:
    Tbh, on the rare occasion that I've used a delivery service, I don't think I ever had to pay extra as I was either living within a certain radius of the outlet or ordered enough for the delivery to be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

It seems this government just want to pick at the easy targets, I suppose it's easier for them.
    Why not go after the seriously overpaid civil/public servants (not the ones earning €30 or €40k), why don't they attack the massive pensions that the tools that got us into this mess are on. Ahern's pension was cut recently from €154k down to a massive €148k, what a joke. What about the bankers who jumped like rats off a sinking ship and took massive retirement packages.
    People are really struggling in this country, so if a guy is doing deliverys a couple of nights a week to make ends meet, so what. The tax he might have to pay would amount to sweet f**k all I'd reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

- Over 5,600 child benefits suspended.

Thats good. No point paying it when its shouldn't be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

But people know a takeway driver is a nixer. So if someone is against the idea of this person not paying tax (fair enough) ... why pay him? :confused:

thats the thing I dont get. all you people are saying its wrong, he should pay tax etc. Ok again, fair enough. But why order something to be delivered then? .. why give him the 2 euro if you are against it FFS?

You're assuming a lot of things,
    1. That everyone who delivers for every single take-away in the country is not paying tax.
    Simply not true.
    2. That everyone in the country knows this.
    I didn't because it is not true.
    3. Everyone tips delivery people.
    I work in the service industry and Irish people are miserable bastards when it comes to tipping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

How much would a delivery guy get? I suppose it depends on the area. If he's working in a city I would imagine he would get plenty of call outs so therefore a job.

If he's working in a smaller area he may not get much call outs, if any. How much would one earn in a night in such a case. Maybe 2 or 3 euro per delivery. Perhaps 4 or 5 deliveries on a weekend night. That's 8 to 15 euro a night and that would be on a busy night.

That would be considered a nixer. On top of his dole of 100 or 188 euro a week. Perhaps on top of another part time job. Or maybe on top of a student grant. If he was to declare such an amount it would cost just that to do the paperwork involved in the revenue office.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    It seems this government just want to pick at the easy targets, I suppose it's easier for them.

While I agree that politicians & senior civil servants are over-paid, that's an entirely separate issue from dodging tax at any level.

- Over 5,600 child benefits suspended.
    - VAT now 23%
    - Household charge.
    - Pensions over 18k a year getting taxed.
    - Accordingly over 16,000 reports made to the social welfare (I mention this because I think thats a bogus official figure. To entice more people to report rather than the genuine number of reports)
    - Nixers are getting cut down on. I know a bloke who does deliveries for a takeaway in Ballyfermot and the tax man went into the takeaway asking them to give names of their drivers. Two other takeaways in the area were visited by the tax man on the same day.

:eek: ... what next?

Next is the household charge being renamed the property tax and increased. Then water charges. The next budget could well increase income tax and maybe reduce social welfare. It's to do with the fact that the country collects something like 30 billion in taxes but spends something like 50 billion every year and the politicians we elected promised they would close the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

But people know a takeway driver is a nixer.

No they don't and it's not their job to ensure that he is tax compliant.
    thats the thing I dont get. all you people are saying its wrong, he should pay tax etc. Ok again, fair enough. But why order something to be delivered then? .. why give him the 2 euro if you are against it FFS?

If they want to tip the delivery guy then it's up to the delivery guy to pay taxes on it.

Is this really that difficult for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Good Christ!

Is it really that hard for you to understand that if you work you pay tax.

It's not up to the person ordering the grub to enquire whether or not the delivery man is paying tax or not, its up to the employer to register him.

Personally I'd prefer to spend my income tax and VAT on coke and hookers but I don't, I pay my fuuckin' taxes. By doing so I'm making a tiny wee contribution to getting the country out of the hole it's in.

I'm sick to the teeth of being undercut by gob****es who don't pay tax.

Rant over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

This thread is ridiculous.

One guy on here trying to claim that income earned as a delivery man should not be taxable (because it's a 'nixer'), and by default that everyone who happens to accept a delivery from him is supportive of his position!!!!

I really have never heard such crap in my life.

LighterGuy, If you were the delivery man would you pay your own tax?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

I am actually working as a delivery driver at the moment and I got paid 500 for two weeks work. My petrol costs were around 70 euro a week which left me 180 a week. I have also had to pay for other car maintenance things like a new tyre because of a puncture. The only way that most other drivers can make an amount of money to pay for their rent, food costs etc is to claim the dole as well. Delivery places hire you as a contract worker and therefore only pay you a fiver an hour plus 1.50 a delivery. About one in every three deliveries are 3-3 and a half miles away which means i make no money off it unless a get a tip as its a seven mile round trip costing roughly 1.50 and theres not many deliverys as they hire extra drivers and we have to also help out in the kitchen when their isnt much deliveries and seeing as there is 4 drivers on a Saturday we spend most of our time as cheap labour working in the kitchesn. On Saturday and Sunday we start at noon and there are no deliveries till four and you have to do prep work constantly in the kitchen so your working for 5 euro an hour until 4 and about 7 euro an hour there after. If their gonna clamp down on people like me then they should introduce legislation for minimum pay for delivery driver or whatever area of work they are clamping down on. I wasnt able to claim the dole as they pay into my bank account and i would have to apply for it as I had just lost my previous job and the dole want bank statements but i would of, if i could. Ive been working this job for 7 weeks as it was the only job i could get but thankfully have now got a job in a call centre for minimum wage. Sort the legaslation out before you start screwing the more vulnerable people in society. They cant take sudden hits like the wealthier can. Sorry about the rant :(

If they want to tip the delivery guy then it's up to the delivery guy to pay taxes on it.

Is this really that difficult for you?

Chuck,
    No offense. But you are an idiot :)
    I order 12 euro worth of food. Total is 13.90 to get delivered. That 1.90 (etc) is the drivers cut for doing the work. The driver also gets a standard flat rate from the takeaway that night. Irregardless of how many orders he may get or not. But flat rate is chump change. Money is made from orders on the night.

You didnt know that did you :)
    you thought a driver only works for tips right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Chuck,
    No offense. But you are an idiot

Your in no position to call any one else an idiot.

Chocablock wrote: »
    I am actually working as a delivery driver at the moment and I got paid 500 for two weeks work. My petrol costs were around 70 euro a week which left me 180 a week. I have also had to pay for other car maintenance things like a new tyre because of a puncture. The only way that most other drivers can make an amount of money to pay for their rent, food costs etc is to claim the dole as well. Delivery places hire you as a contract worker and therefore only pay you a fiver an hour plus 1.50 a delivery. About one in every three deliveries are 3-3 and a half miles away which means i make no money off it unless a get a tip as its a seven mile round trip costing roughly 1.50 and theres not many deliverys as they hire extra drivers and we have to also help out in the kitchen when their isnt much deliveries and seeing as there is 4 drivers on a Saturday we spend most of our time as cheap labour working in the kitchesn. On Saturday and Sunday we start at noon and there are no deliveries till four and you have to do prep work constantly in the kitchen so your working for 5 euro an hour until 4 and about 7 euro an hour there after. If their gonna clamp down on people like me then they should introduce legislation for minimum pay for delivery driver or whatever area of work they are clamping down on. I wasnt able to claim the dole as they pay into my bank account and i would have to apply for it as I had just lost my previous job and the dole want bank statements but i would of, if i could. Ive been working this job for 7 weeks as it was the only job i could get but thankfully have now got a job in a call centre for minimum wage. Sort the legaslation out before you start screwing the more vulnerable people in society. They cant take sudden hits like the wealthier can. Sorry about the rant :(

If it isn't paying you to do it, stop doing it.

If you are making money out of it, aggregate it with your other income sources. If you are making more than the exemption limit, calculate your tax and pay it (just like everyone else on the same income level).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

ThePower11 wrote: »
    starbelgrade has lived a very sheltered life, he tried to justify Curry's advertising for unpaid interns yesterday.

He was also looking for ways to avoid paying the property tax

• Advertisement

Gee Bag wrote: »

Hear Hear.

The next budget could well increase income tax

No they wont, unfortunately FG will stick to their election promise, the wont raise taxes.
    Raising taxes is the easiest way to increase revenue and it is also the fairest. Tax bands can be changed, higher tax bands can be taxed more, this can mean the poor will see a smaller tax increase than the rich (richer).
    The current FG plan screws the low earner by the same amount as the high earner;
    You live in a mansion, you pay €100. You live in a box, €100 please.
    You pay 23% tax on everything regardless of your ability to pay.
    Carbon tax, same thing. The price of oil goes up to heat your box by the same amount as to heat a mansion.
    You can afford a new car, great pay less motor tax. You can't afford to change car, you pay higher motor tax, even if your car has less emissions.
    The list goes on.

Income tax increases are a lot fairer than all these stealth taxes that hit everyone.

I think I am :)
    After all accordingly everyone "didnt know drivers were doing it as a nixer"

;)

fedor.2. wrote: »
    He was also looking for ways to avoid paying the property tax
    And he is a business owner. Free staff and tax evasion seems to be catching on in commerce these days.

And he is a business owner. Free staff and tax evasion seems to be catching on in commerce these days.

Not very successful, he only drives an astra:D

Wow you must have done you're research.:D

An SRi 2.0 Turbo Hatch Astra. ;)

Thats the job

Senna wrote: »
    No they wont, unfortunately FG will stick to their election promise, the wont raise taxes.
    Raising taxes is the easiest way to increase revenue and it is also the fairest. Tax bands can be changed, higher tax bands can be taxed more, this can mean the poor will see a smaller tax increase than the rich (richer).
    The current FG plan screws the low earner by the same amount as the high earner;
    Carbon tax, same thing. The price of oil goes up to heat your box by the same amount as to heat a mansion.
    You can afford a new car, great pay less motor tax. You can't afford to change car, you pay higher motor tax, even if your car has less emissions.
    The list goes on.

Income tax increases are a lot fairer than all these stealth taxes that hit everyone.

The problem is collecting the income tax from those who do not come under the PAYE system. By paying an accountant enough a millionaire could prove he had no taxable income. Maybe it is time for a wealth tax. The figure below is for November 2011 and it proves there is a lot of wealth in the country.

Last month, Irish households held €91.9 billion on deposit, little changed over six months, but down from the all-time peak of €99.5 billion in January last year.

The list goes on.

No. They have twigged that if they increase the marginal rate of tax, that it will result in a decrease in the overall tax take. Every time you lose a handful of the higher contributors now, your problem gets a lot bigger.

The new Revenue raising mechanisms have to be focussed on the bigger number of taxpayers. That's why property tax / indirect tax is the way they are going.

Equally, there needs to be a real serious reduction in expenditure. Croke Park goes out the window. 15% of Public Sector pay and all Social Welfare payments would go a fair way towards closing the gap.

You can take it that anything at the upper end of the scale will only be tokenism now. They're already hatched that chicken.

• Advertisement

Still an Astra though.

Still an Astra though.

You don't know much about cars I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Good Christ!

Is it really that hard for you to understand that if you work you pay tax.

It's not up to the person ordering the grub to enquire whether or not the delivery man is paying tax or not, its up to the employer to register him.

Personally I'd prefer to spend my income tax and VAT on coke and hookers but I don't, I pay my fuuckin' taxes. By doing so I'm making a tiny wee contribution to getting the country out of the hole it's in.

I'm sick to the teeth of being undercut by gob****es who don't pay tax.

Rant over!

How much is Bertie Aherns pension
    I think it's 147000 PA, that 12250 a month. He would have into a pension pot throughout the years but there is no way he would have paid near enough to cover a pension of 147,000 PA.

So it's your taxes is contributing to his income to allow him a lavish lifestyle, rewarding him for fcuking up the economy in which we'll be paying for in many ways.

The taxpayer is paying into a system that is rewarding crooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

The problem is collecting the income tax from those who do not come under the PAYE system. By paying an accountant enough a millionaire could prove he had no taxable income. Maybe it is time for a wealth tax. The figure below is for November 2011 and it proves there is a lot of wealth in the country.

Last month, Irish households held €91.9 billion on deposit, little changed over six months, but down from the all-time peak of €99.5 billion in January last year.

so you want people to pay tax on savings that have already been taxed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

johnr1 wrote: »
    Quit yer bitchin OP, and take your medicine like the rest of us.

I met a woman who was in my class today, 36 years old, separated, three kids, still paying 250 a month on a personal loan for a house she no longer occupies, - not looking for any part of it, cos it's on her ex husband's family land, paying her rent, supporting her kids, and working a fairly crap job that I'd imagine pays probably 400 pw max.
    Important bit : She told me how happy she now is, that her loan has only another year on it, and then it's finished, how it's great that aldi are coming to our town, - cheaper shopping, how she invites her friends round for coffee instead of blowing money on €2.50 coffees at an overpriced cafe, on and on, with a smile on her face.

It's all about attitude, and with your's, you'd miserable on a half a million a year, you'd still find something to bitch about.

You're like Paulie Walnuts :pac:
    Go away before you depress the rest of us.

Crapy job with 400eu per week?

Can I get that crapy job? I am employed, but having 400eu wages per week would be freaking awesome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You already pay DIRT on it

And now you want to seize even more of it?

If you judge a car purely on looks alone, then you definitely don't know much about them.

The current system doesn't work, a wealth tax sounds good on paper, but really it would be the start of an Argentine style money grab. The money would just flow out of the country.
    I still believe FG's policies are wrong, by not increasing income tax they are looking after the interests of the well off, of course these are predominately "voters", so come next election they will have screwed the majority of the country but be re-elected by the powerful minority.

• Advertisement

If you judge a car purely on looks alone, then you definitely don't know much about them.

How the fúck did this topic get onto your car???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Chocablock wrote: »

There is a minimun wage of €8.65 an hour. They either pay you that at minimum or they're breaking the law

Chuck,
    No offense. But you are an idiot :)
    I order 12 euro worth of food. Total is 13.90 to get delivered. That 1.90 (etc) is the drivers cut for doing the work. The driver also gets a standard flat rate from the takeaway that night. Irregardless of how many orders he may get or not. But flat rate is chump change. Money is made from orders on the night.

You didnt know that did you :)
    you thought a driver only works for tips right?

Who's the idiot?

No. They have twigged that if they increase the marginal rate of tax, that it will result in a decrease in the overall tax take. Every time you lose a handful of the higher contributors now, your problem gets a lot bigger.

The new Revenue raising mechanisms have to be focussed on the bigger number of taxpayers. That's why property tax / indirect tax is the way they are going.

Equally, there needs to be a real serious reduction in expenditure. Croke Park goes out the window. 15% of Public Sector pay and all Social Welfare payments would go a fair way towards closing the gap.

You can take it that anything at the upper end of the scale will only be tokenism now. They're already hatched that chicken.

I agree with the highest earners, i didn't mean a new 50-60-70% tax rate, i meant taking more from the 40%er's and increasing bands.
    The property/water etc should have been in all along and are sustainable, its the increase in vat, carbon etc which hit high and low regardless that i have a problem with, these are the stealth taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wow you must have done you're research.:D

Cill Dara Abu.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

............. By paying an accountant enough a millionaire could prove he had no taxable income. ............

If a millionaire isn't earning any money through work or other interests he may well have no taxable income :)

However, if you are suggesting someone running a company and making money from it can get an accountant to prove he has no taxable income that could easily be done if they may themselves no salary. If audited though they'd have to explain how they eat, pay the bills, cloth themselves, buy toilet role, tax the car etc (if it was a company car they'd be paying BIK on it).

• Advertisement

Raising income taxes puts off work. It's a fact.
    The USC threshold was raised to over €10,000 a year, this affects the 330,000 people, all on low incomes, are now paying less tax. The rich(er) are paying the same tax.
    You really ought to look at all their policies not just the ones that go against your far left wing agenda.

This is a temporary plan. The long term plan is to change this meaning those who earn more and live in bigger houses will pay more. The reason it's €100 is because the money goes directly to the council. Everyone is entitled to contact the council if there's a local problem, therefore everyone pays the same for it. There are quite large exemptions in case you didn't know. If you live in a ghost estate, an unfinished estate or certain houses you are exempt all together.
    The list goes on.

If you use carbon you should pay for it, regardless of how much you earn.
    If you heat your house etc, everyone uses carbon, they should pay for it.

I'm right wing. I'm for low tax and low government spend.

My reasoning for this is because we need people spending their money to fuel business. When more people spend more money, businesses have more money and therefore can employ more people and expand. The newly employed get more money to spend and it goes on.
    A rising tide lifts all boats.

We need people to have discretionary income to spend, income tax takes away from this, and we need to encourage work, income tax takes away from this too.

A fact proven by history; President Ronald Regan lowered taxes and the economy started to climb and climb and climb. The government actually collects more money with a lower tax rate because business and the economy boom; when taxes are raised the exact opposite takes place.

How the fúck did this topic get onto your car???

I thought I was on Top Gear talking to Jeremy Clarkson.

BOHtox wrote: »
    My reasoning for this is because we need people spending their money to fuel business. When more people spend more money, businesses have more money and therefore can employ more people and expand. The newly employed get more money to spend and it goes on.
    A rising tide lifts all boats.

And where does the money go? Where did it go when people felt flush

Homes in Bulgaria and Croatia, how does this benefit anyone in Ireland?
    Jap and European cars, we don't have a car industry in Ireland, just sell and service them. I know you'll bring up VRT but lowering one tax to get it back another way is just moving money around
    Foreign holidays
    Imported goods

And the holidays and goods can be done over the internet these days, travel agents are dying out

Yeah we're a small country and putting money in somebodys phóca doesn't mean much of it will be spent in Ireland at all

As for Reagan, we copied him alright lol. Savings and Loan crises, banks making reckless loans and taxpayers paid for it all. History repeating itself

mikemac1 wrote: »
    And where does the money go? Where did it go when people felt flush

Homes in Bulgaria and Croatia, how does this benefit anyone in Ireland?
    Jap and European cars, we don't have a car industry in Ireland, just sell and service them. I know you'll bring up VRT but lowering one tax to get it back another way is just moving money around
    Foreign holidays
    Imported goods

And the holidays and goods can be done over the internet these days, travel agents are dying out

Yeah we're a small country and putting money in somebodys phóca doesn't mean they'll much of it will be spent in Ireland at all

I'm sure you're guilty of it too. Man United, Liverpool, Celtic or whatever. People of course will spend money abroad.

But the fact is they're spending money.

If they're booking a holiday, they'd do it through a company based in Ireland.

Buying a car, a motor company in ireland. All these create jobs. I'd rather people holidaying abroad rather than struggling to heat their homes or buy food.

BOHtox wrote: »

If they're booking a holiday, they'd do it through a company based in Ireland.

Not realy, hundreds of travel agents have become unemployed in Ireland the last few years

I believe there was a sit in protest in Dublin

You can DIY these days over the internet

• Advertisement
Advertisement