Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great American Novel: Does it exist?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I've always been fascinated by this ideological term, and I've spent a lot of time trying to discover it for myself, only to realise that it probably doesn't exist in the first place, though I'm open to correction.
    I'm just wondering if you've managed to discover it, or if there was a novel for you that came close to being described as "The Great American Novel". I've read a lot of Philip Roth, JD Salinger, Updike, Steinbeck, Mailer, F. Scott Fitzgerald etc. but I have to say (though I'll probably get a lot of stick for this) that the closest thing I've read to this beau ideal would be Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections".

So, what's your idea of "The Great American Novel"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I'd have similiar views with Harold Bloom.

1) Moby Dick.

McCarthy, Pynchon, Roth and Delillo are all Melvillian.

Blood Merdian is a great american nove, as it American Pastoral and most of Pynchon and Delillo's work.

Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man is a contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

though I'm open to correction.

How is someone else going to answer this question for you?

If you're open to correction, do a web search or find a critic that tells you what you should think. Otherwise stick with your own opinion.

'Sometimes a Great Notion' by Ken Kesey.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

juan.kerr wrote: »

If you're open to correction, do a web search or find a critic that tells you what you should think. Otherwise stick with your own opinion.

That's an awful stupid comment. Someone could recommend a book that upon reading would change the op's opinion.

Moby Dick, House of the Seven Gables (or anything else by Hawthorne), Grapes of Wrath, Sometimes a Great Notion would be my candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

juan.kerr wrote: »

Your name kinda suits you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Not sure what the OP is asking. Is there such a thing as the 'Great American novel'? Thats in the eye of the beholder really. Some of the more recent contenders would have be Tom Wolfe, John Irving, Jonathan Franzen, Phillip Roth etc. etc.

I think public opinion generally equates it with big bumper novels, Wolfe probably comes closest to it with 'Bonfire of the Vanities', or maybe Irving with 'Cider House Rules', novels like that always seem to me to epitomise the concept of the Great American novel. For some reason, in my own head, I wouldn't include the likes of Fitzgerald, Twain or Steinbeck. I'm not really too sure why that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Little Friend by Donna Tart

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Denerick wrote: »
    Not sure what the OP is asking. Is there such a thing as the 'Great American novel'? Thats in the eye of the beholder really. Some of the more recent contenders would have be Tom Wolfe, John Irving, Jonathan Franzen, Phillip Roth etc. etc.

I think public opinion generally equates it with big bumper novels, Wolfe probably comes closest to it with 'Bonfire of the Vanities', or maybe Irving with 'Cider House Rules', novels like that always seem to me to epitomise the concept of the Great American novel. For some reason, in my own head, I wouldn't include the likes of Fitzgerald, Twain or Steinbeck. I'm not really too sure why that is.

Seriously, Derenick? :-) I like your posts.
    Even by that logic, someone like John Steinbeck would make your list on two counts: Page count and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Underworld by Don DeLillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

William Faulkner has to be on the list.

And top of his list for me would be Absalom, Absalom followed closely by his Snopes Trilogy [The Hamlet, The Town, The Mansion].

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nobody for On The Road?

I'd also vouch for Huck Finn and Bonfire of the Vanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Denerick wrote: »
    For some reason, in my own head, I wouldn't include the likes of Fitzgerald, Twain or Steinbeck. I'm not really too sure why that is.

well if those three are excluded then the great american novel probably isn't worth talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

Of Mice And Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Red Hand wrote: »
    The Little Friend by Donna Tart

I liked that book but I preferred The Secret History so much more. She's a great writer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Whenever I hear 'Great American Novel', I always think of The Great Gatsby, even though I never liked it that much. I think it's the equivalence with the American dream, though I suppose most American novels deal with that in some way.
    MarchDub wrote: »
    William Faulkner has to be on the list.

And top of his list for me would be Absalom, Absalom followed closely by his Snopes Trilogy [The Hamlet, The Town, The Mansion].

But Faulkner I'd have to give my vote to. It's got all of the sweeping family saga type stuff that's in most of the other novels, but it's so amazingly structured and written as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

+ 1 for Ellison's Invisible Man, i also like Rabbit, Run and Updike's other Harry Angstrom novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

ps..I read 'The Great American Novel' - Roth's baseball novel, but to be honest to get the most out of it you would need a certain affinity for baseball. Maybe that qualifies the title all the more !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

fusuf wrote: »
    Of Mice And Men.
    I'd suggest "East of Eden"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd agree with Moby-Dick, The Sound and the Fury and I'd add The Catcher in the Rye, but I'd have to go with To Kill a Mockingbird as my personal favourite American novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'd suggest "East of Eden"

I meant "Grapes of Wrath". Depression, migration, exploitation, family - a real epic. (I can't even remember what East of Eden is about)

I looked up the GAN and found

"The "Great American Novel" is the concept of a novel that is distinguished in both craft and theme as being the most accurate representative of the zeitgeist in the United States at the time of its writing. It is presumed to be written by an American author who is knowledgeable about the state, culture, and perspective of the common American citizen. In historical terms, it is sometimes equated as being the American response to the national epic."

Now I feel very badly read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I've tried to write this post three times--I just can't make my mind up. All I keep ending up with is a list of American novels saturated with the culture as I understand it:

Lolita
    On the Road
    The Sound and the Fury
    Humboldt's gift

A culture which I think is ultimately too diverse to pick "the great one"!

edit: I agree with oldgregg actually although I haven't read Moby Dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bitlocked

While not a novel I think Death of a Salesman is the greatest piece of American Fiction I've ever read.

A friend lent me "American Gods" and told me to expect it to be the Great American Novel. In short, it was not. I loathed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

"The Great American Novel" is a concept which can mean anything to anybody, just like "The American Dream".
    There can never be just one. There can only be opinions, choices, favourites.
    I suppose one could try and talk about a particular writer who has best encapsulated American life of his or her time, but again the list would be long.
    So, in answer to the OP, I would say - no, "it" does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn....to paraphrase an earlier contribution...."without a doubt".

Obviously there are many other contenders.

Of modern times I thought The Crossing and All the Pretty Horses were fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

incidentally what Saul Bellow would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

For me its the albany trilogy by William Kennedy,

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I'm interested in how those of you who have made some nominations would define "The Great American Novel".

Surely, your nominations would better come under the heading "My Favourite American Novel". No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickoregan wrote: »
    "The Great American Novel" is a concept which can mean anything to anybody, just like "The American Dream".
    There can never be just one. There can only be opinions, choices, favourites.
    I suppose one could try and talk about a particular writer who has best encapsulated American life of his or her time, but again the list would be long.
    So, in answer to the OP, I would say - no, "it" does not exist.

I disagree. The Great American Novel can't be someone's subjective idea of an American novel which they consider to be great.

It should be a novel which perfectly captures America at that time. That's what the concept means.

Grapes of Wrath ticks all the boxes. Although I enjoyed East of Eden more.

Advertisement