Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good supplier of Willow.

Options
  • 07-01-2012 2:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking into planting and growing willow down each side of my back garden as a natural/live screen for both an asthetic look,some extra wind protection and also for some extra general privicy.

Im looking to create and grow the willow screen to around 8 feet high

Does anyone know of a good willow suppliers??

Also,what sort of price am I looking at for willow and how fast would it grow??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Hi Paddy
    not too many suppliers here afaik... the Organic centre do supply some through the post but the cost could become an issue for you when talking about doing an installation such as a screen or fedge, what i tend to recommend to people is to sourch it from someone who already has an established willow source in their garden and take cuttings from these.

also be aware that if you do order cuttings from a supplier they usually come in 2 types - actual cuttings of about 18ins long and also slip cuttings that can be up to 2m long which would be used to do an installation like you have planned,

growth can be between 1-2m per year depending on variety and maintenance is usually a twice yearly job for me.
    also be careful when planting around water sources/pipes and close to buildings, as the root systems will actively seek out water sources in periods of drought and can cause problems in the longer term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Van der wells in Wicklow have a range of willow as does Future forests in Cork.

I think it would be Salix alba you'd be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Willow is so easy to grow it's unreal. Cut some willow in the spring, stick in ground, watch it grow. You'll find it in hedges all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks for the advice and links folks.

Might take a trip down to Aughrim,Wivkow during to week to visit Van Der Wells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

Or trees in transit do bare root willow and deliver also. Very professional service too. They too are located in wicklow and are very cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 rayana

I reckon your best bet is salix viminilas (common Osier). I've had plants that have grown well over 12 ft in the one year (2nd year of growth having been cut down to 4 inches after the first year)
    12 inch slips are often only about 50c but that may depend on how many you're buying.
    They are free on countryside roads...if you ok it with all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluespruce

www.hedges.ie supplied my with willow plants and some cuttings handy enuf planted and they sent them to me too

Advertisement