Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for Teaching in Australia

• 07-01-2012 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I'm new to Boards so I hope I'm posting in the right place!

I'm just wondering if anybody has any information on Teaching in Australia. I'm in my third year of an Arts degree in English and Geography. I've got to do another year next year and then I'll be a fully qualified teacher.

I don't want to stay in Ireland, and would prefer to leave for about 10 years. Does anyone have any information on whether my degree and H-Dip would be well recognised in Australia? And also, what is the process for applying to be a teacher in Australia like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 samantha23

Hey there, Im a qualified Geog + Hist Teacher, graduated in 2009 then went to Oz where I spent two years. Didnt get any teaching experience at all. I only decided last min to go to oz so I had to preparations as such.
    I was a few weeks in Brisbane when I was told that each state in Oz acts independently. So for example Brisbane is under Queensland so I had to apply to Queensland board of teachers to recognise my qualifications. There was only one teaching agency I found in Brisbane too. I had to bring copies and all my original transcripts/parchments/garda vetting to a Justice of Peace in a Courthouse who looks at the original and stamps the copy to prove they saw it etc. Then you send all copies and application forms to Queensland College of Teachers with a fee (tink it was about 140dollars), I applied in November, only got approval in March! You cant teach without the approval but you might get creche/childcare work. I was back in Ireland for a trip when my approval came through so hoped for some teaching when I got back! Never heard from the agency. History and Geog is different over there, it comes under Humanities and requires another subject like Economics or Business so it wasn't easy with my subject.

I lived in Melbourne for a short time after Brisbane and had to apply to The Victorian Teaching Board for recognition (didnt come through in the end due to my own fault and I was moving on to Sydney), I registered with an agency but was told that things can be very slow, it all depends on what Semester it is. Never got teaching there but got a call once for an interview in a school in the middle of nowhere at a time I couldnt take it!

Lastly I was in Sydney, had to register with NSW teaching board which took about 2months or so, Only one agency I could find in Sydney and after ringing about 20times for an interview I gave up.

Things are so different over there, private public and catholic schools are all seperate and its really a matter of going around to all the schools with Cv's only after you have got registration!
    I ended up working in admin the entire time I was there. I wish I could of gotten into a school which might of got me a longterm visa.
    I would recommend going to an expo before you go over.
    Im going to one next month as Im hoping to go to New Z or Canada at the end of the year but only if teaching is easier to come by

I know I have included alot here but after going through it all I might have some info that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Australia isnt a great option for teachers. It's not on the skills list. Any teachers that do get sponsored would be people with qualifications in Maths, Sciences and Technical subjects. Most of these schools would prob be tough as well.
    As was said you have to register separately in the different states. It can be a lengthy process but if you are organised and apply a few months before you go out it can be done easily enough. Just make sure you have all documents ready to go together as the postal delivery will mean delays if you are sending docs you hadnt sent originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ktd84

I'm also heading for Oz! My partner got a new job there and starts in April. I'm a primary school teacher here so I'll follow over after the summer. Ive started my application for teacher registration in Brisbane but there doesn't seem to be many jobs at all! There are loads for early childhood education,I guess this is like montessori. Does anyone know if I would be qualified for these jobs if I have a primary teaching qualification?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 akx

Im in Oz 4 months now thinking of registering. I qualified nearly two years ago. You have to register your qualification in the state you intend on going to e.g Sydney : NSW, Melbourne : Victoria. The requirements for each state are slightly different and most require a FOUR year degree to obtain any sort of lonterm role. You should be fine having done a 3 year degree and H.dip, check it out though before you come over with the institute for teaching victoria/NSW/WA/QLD or wherever you plan on going to. It takes 6-12 weeks to register and costs between $400-500 you can regis I amter with the catholic authority (supposed to be quicker reg) or the government. You currently earn app $200 p/day as a relief/sub teacher in NSW so its worth having this sorted. If your comeing in Jan there may not be as much relief work as thats when the year begins. I am heading to the outback onto a ranch/ cattle station to homeschool for 3-6 months so if your looking to get farm work for a second year visa I suggest you advertise that you are a primary teacher / farm hand /tuition/ whatever other skills you think might suit on gumtree, there are quite a few home school positions and they are well paid / better conditions than picking fruit. You may do some farm work too so your covered...

I was lucky enough to be advised by a teacher from Perth to register in advance of my trip there a few years ago. I was set up for casual work in Sydney the week I arrived. I stayed there about 6 months and had non stop relief work. I got several blocks in a few different schools. There used to be an agency I dealt with but it was all taken over by the Dept itself and I got all my work thru them in the end. Contact the different depts for a feel for what subjects are required!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Seoighe16

Hi LadyMary I just read your post there,your situation sounds ideal. I'm a primary school teacher. My boyfriend went over a couple of months ago he's looking into Defacto and I'm going to a job expo soon. I'm not sure what they'll be looking for? From reading the posts I'm thinking I should be contacting the relevant education departments before I go. Can I do that? Hopefully I'll be in the Western Australia region. I have a degree and a postgraduate in national school teaching. I have a little over two years experience prior to having gone back for the postgrad. Would you be able to let me know what the best routes are to get myself set up before I go over?

Hi again! I sent off my application for teacher registration in QLD, but today I got an email saying my criminal history check wont suffice. I sent my Garda vetting from the teaching council here because I rang the Garda vetting unit and called into my local police station and both told me that individuals can't apply for Garda vetting. It can only be done through an organisation. Just wondering what criminal history check everyone else sent in?
    Thanks!
    Katie

Seoighe16 wrote: »
    Hi LadyMary I just read your post there,your situation sounds ideal. I'm a primary school teacher. My boyfriend went over a couple of months ago he's looking into Defacto and I'm going to a job expo soon. I'm not sure what they'll be looking for? From reading the posts I'm thinking I should be contacting the relevant education departments before I go. Can I do that? Hopefully I'll be in the Western Australia region. I have a degree and a postgraduate in national school teaching. I have a little over two years experience prior to having gone back for the postgrad. Would you be able to let me know what the best routes are to get myself set up before I go over?

Seoighe16 your situation sounds very similar to mine! My visa just came through by defacto relationship. That was the easy bit! You should register with the education department for the area you are going to before you go as it takes months to become registered! I also have a degree and postgrad and they accept that as a 4 year teaching qualification! When you register with the department they send you a number and this is what you use to apply for jobs. So I don't think there is much you can do until you have that. It seems to take 4-6 months for this to come through so leave yourself plenty of time!

Advertisement