Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What upgrades would you reccomend?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Getting these parts soon:
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3 Motherboard
    OCZ 550w PSU
    Club 3D HD3870 Overclocked Edition
    Corsair 4gb Ram (2x2gb)

Any upgrades you'd reccomend? (Apart from PSU or MOBO)
    Will want to be running BF3 on this mid settings hopefully, what processor would be good for this Motherboard?(Any AMD Phenom preferably) How's the GFX card for games? I'll probably be upgrading to a PNY GTX 550Ti anyway though, I'm getting an XIGAMTEK Asgard III(window) case, DVD Drive and 1TB HDD separate soon aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wait, do you already have these parts or are you still thinking of buying them?

The 3870 is getting a bit old nowadays. I wouldn't get a 550 Ti. The HD6850 isn't that much more expensive and can easily run BF3 fully maxed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

i like the asus m5a99x board pluse it supports amd s new 8 core chip so ive heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

The 3870 is getting a bit old nowadays. I wouldn't get a 550 Ti. The HD6850 isn't that much more expensive and can easily run BF3 fully maxed out.

a 6850 maxxed out bf3...i dont think so...
    What kind of frame rates you talking about and what res..?

dwighet wrote: »

a 6850 maxxed out bf3...i dont think so...
    What kind of frame rates you talking about and what res..?
    1680x1050 30fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

1680x1050 30fps.

That's not maxed out. That's minimum playable framerate.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    1680x1050 30fps.

That's not maxed out. That's minimum playable framerate.
    I never said maxed out fps. Just that a HD6850 can play BF3 maxed out on 1680x1050 without skipping a beat or stuttering e.t.c.

I never said maxed out fps. Just that a HD6850 can play BF3 maxed out on 1680x1050 without skipping a beat or stuttering e.t.c.

That's debatable. I wouldn't call 30FPS smooth at all. Maybe if it was consistent, but that would never happen, unless you could cap the framerate at 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

I'm getting these parts tomorrow yes, I just think the Club 3D Gfx card would be useless for modern games so alls I need is a processor and graphics card

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's debatable. I wouldn't call 30FPS smooth at all. Maybe if it was consistent, but that would never happen, unless you could cap the framerate at 30.
    I dunno, it feels perfectly smooth to me. It never dips below the 30s. I have it overclocked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Bonesy. wrote: »
    I'm getting these parts tomorrow yes, I just think the Club 3D Gfx card would be useless for modern games so alls I need is a processor and graphics card

Can I ask why the 3870? Is someone giving it to you or are you buying it?

As for CPU's - despite its age, the Phenom II range still do pretty well. I have a 965 BE myself and its chugging along just fine, and hasn't been a bottleneck in any game I've thrown at it. If you intend to do some media work (encoding video etc) then I'd suggest you pop in a hexacore 1090T, but if this build is just for gaming then a 955 or 965 will do you just fine. If you get a decent cooler 4.0GHz stable clocks are possible.

For GPU's you'd want a 560 or 560Ti / HD 6870 or HD 6950. I really wouldn't recommend anything less powerful, particularly with the new generation of cards around the corner.

Whats your CPU/GPU budget?

• Advertisement

I think it would be much better value for money if you simply posted your overall budget, and what you're looking to upgrade. Buying a 3870 just doesn't make sense.

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    Can I ask why the 3870? Is someone giving it to you or are you buying it?

Whats your CPU/GPU budget?
    Swapping my 60GB 360 for Pc parts so I'll just sell on the Club 3D card, and my budget for CPU and GPU is 200

Swapping my 60GB 360 for Pc parts so I'll just sell on the Club 3D card, and my budget for CPU and GPU is 200
    That's a tight budget.

If you want a solid upgrade path and decent performance in the interim, i'd go for an i3-2100 and a HD6850.

An AMD alternative would be a Phenom II x6 1045T and a HD6850. Better performance but upgrade options are going to be limited.

Both will come to about €220. so slightly over budget. You don't want anything less than a HD6850 unless you're gaming on a monitor only 1366x768 or 1280x1024.

Hmm my only problem with going to Intel is I dont know if it would be compatable with the Asus Motherboard I mentioned, and I would have it hooked up to a 32' HD LG tv rather then a monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Get yourself a Phenom X4 960t, might even unlock to a 6 core if you're lucky

http://www.dabs.ie/products/amd-phenom-ii-x4-960t-3-0ghz-8mb-95w-black-edition-7SK9.html

You'll still have €90 left plus the cash you get from selling the HD3870.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Get yourself a Phenom X4 960t, might even unlock to a 6 core if you're lucky

http://www.dabs.ie/products/amd-phenom-ii-x4-960t-3-0ghz-8mb-95w-black-edition-7SK9.html

You'll still have €90 left plus the cash you get from selling the HD3870.
    Yeh thats the one I'm gonna get definately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Hmm my only problem with going to Intel is I dont know if it would be compatable with the Asus Motherboard I mentioned, and I would have it hooked up to a 32' HD LG tv rather then a monitor

The board you have coming is an AMD board, so it looks like the AMD route is your only option.

Advertisement