Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Haven't Sent Me A Bill Yet

Options
  • 07-01-2012 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I switched over to Airtricity in August and I only noticed last week that I haven't been billed yet. So instead of calling them to enquire as to why and give them a few hundred euro, I'm going to put the money aside each month and keep it there. They'll probably realise their error someday and come looking for it but then again they may not. Either way I'll be covered.

Someone mentioned to me that they can only bill me back so far. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Did you plump for digital billing when you signed up? If so, did you give them a valid email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Yeah I gave them everything they needed. Now that you mention it though, they did say I'd get a confirmation email a few days after signing up, but I didn't get one. I got my final bill from Bord Gais in early October. I would have thought Airtricity would have billed my by now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Phoole wrote: »
    Yeah I gave them everything they needed. Now that you mention it though, they did say I'd get a confirmation email a few days after signing up, but I didn't get one. I got my final bill from Bord Gais in early October. I would have thought Airtricity would have billed my by now though.
    I'm pretty sure paperless eBilling is the default Billing method, so is you haven't received one yet, church you're spam and then call them to confirm you're email address to make sure they have it correct.

Regardless of the Billing issue you are still using their services and that isn't free.

vibe666 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure paperless eBilling is the default Billing method, so is you haven't received one yet, church you're spam and then call them to confirm you're email address to make sure they have it correct.

Regardless of the Billing issue you are still using their services and that isn't free.

Nothing in my spam folder either.

They have my bank account details and contact details and it's all in order for when they bill me, so I'm doing nothing wrong. I'm simply putting the money aside until a bill comes. I'd rather it be sitting in my account earning interest until the bill arrives in the door (or my inbox!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

A similar thing happened to me when I switched, they billed me for electricity but not gas. Like you I kept putting the money away for the gas anyway. This started in July the year before last and we got our first gas bill the following January but it was only for six weeks. Billing has been normal ever since, I did find out though that once they issue you with a bill for a certain date they can't issue another for an earlier date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They'll come looking for it.

I signed up with them with direct debit for gas and electric.

For 6 months I never paid for gas....never gave it a thought as I assumed the money taken out covered both.

Got a nice bill of nearly a grand of them!!

In fairness they admitted their mistake and spread the payments over 6 months until I had paid them back.

Be careful and make sure you have the money to pay them when they come looking for it.

Phoole wrote: »
    Now that you mention it though, they did say I'd get a confirmation email a few days after signing up, but I didn't get one.

I run web services for both myself and clients, and I'm regularly stunned by the amount of people that get their own email address wrong, despite common usage of dual email fields. Some of them are so ridiculously wrong they're funny, for example I get regular www.domain@eircom.net type registrations.

dahamsta wrote: »
    I run web services for both myself and clients, and I'm regularly stunned by the amount of people that get their own email address wrong, despite common usage of dual email fields. Some of them are so ridiculously wrong they're funny, for example I get regular www.domain@eircom.net type registrations.
    It was actually they guy who called to my door who took my email address, so he probably took it down wrong. Sounds like I'll get a bill in few months so. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally, I'd proactively go looking for the bill. If one has been issued, but you haven't received it, then you could potentially be exceeding your payment terms.

I agree. And I wouldn't trust those Airtricity solicitors as far as I'd throw them. I don't buy /anything/ from the front door for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Esb went back 4 years with me for rental on a meter. Eircom were wrongly charging me rental on a phone over 7 years. When I confronted them about it they said that they could refund only two years :rolleyes: If it were the other way round it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

If you got a final bill from BGE and have never been billed by Airtricity there is a HUGE risk that you technically have no supplier in which case ESB Networks (the guys in the yellow vans) will see this as an empty/vacant premises and disconnect it.This is the agreed process for all properties where an account is closed and no new customer is registered for it I would check it out immediately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Yet another person trying to get out of paying for something

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Airtricity have some issues with "unverified" gas readings. They have to get an authorisation from Bord Gais and if they don't get it, they roll the bill over. I'd take a reading yourself and ring them about it. They will set a reminder to chase the authorisation to verify your reading. I ended up with a huge bill last winter and same thing is happening again this winter so will be on to them again once the kids are back in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

lala88 wrote: »
    Yet another person trying to get out of paying for something
    :confused:

The OP said they're putting money aside each month.

But I agree with others OP - some onus would be on you to contact them to find out what's owed, due to you continuing to use the service. If you didn't receive anything by email they may have inputted your email address by accident. Happens easily - mishearing s as f, m as n etc. Or perhaps an error with the bank details. That happened to me years ago - Vodafone had an invalid sort code for my direct debit and I let it go for months (yet continued to knowingly use the service - I was young and foolish :o) then got in contact with them to be greeted with a fine big bill. They let me, like a previous poster, repay it in instalments though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The same thing happened me there when I switched over in audust 2010, It was feb 2011 and I still had not received my first bill. I didn't care as I had the money for when I would be getting my expected bill.
    I rang them to ask them when I was getting my bill.
    what I was told on the phone was because I was submitting my readings too offten it was throwing the billing period off(you're only ment to do it once a month) I was doing it every 7-10days as we had moved into the place & wanted to get a pattern for the estimates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Dudess wrote: »
    :confused:

The OP said they're putting money aside each month.

But I agree with others OP - some onus would be on you to contact them to find out what's owed, due to you continuing to use the service. If you didn't receive anything by email they may have inputted your email address by accident. Happens easily - mishearing s as f, m as n etc. Or perhaps an error with the bank details. That happened to me years ago - Vodafone had an invalid sort code for my direct debit and I let it go for months (yet continued to knowingly use the service - I was young and foolish :o) then got in contact with them to be greeted with a fine big bill. They let me, like a previous poster, repay it in instalments though.

A mistake has been made clearly and they know this but are turning a blind eye to it. Chances are when they get a bill (that will be fairly high) they'll be on hear again with some sod story about how they didn't get a bill and now have to pay a high price

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Its all the OPs Fault :D
    Energy costs contribute to €13m loss at Airtricity

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0113/1224310193157.html

Advertisement