Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing a dog for a new arrival ...

• 07-01-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

... more specificly toning down your relationship with your dog.

I'm just wondering if people have any advice on ways this can be done. My sister has been (reluctantly on her part) roped into taking her for one of her walks everyday. I also intend to move her to her crate on the floor instead of letting her sleep in my bed. Are there any other changes that can be made in advance of a new puppy arriving and is it advisable or not reinstate full privileges once it does? I was thinking maybe it would be a better idea to let the dust settle first and get a bedtime routine going for the pup before letting them both back on the bed.

I do have another issue going on at the minute and I'm not sure it has settled enough that I'm completely comfortable putting her on the floor just yet. She likes to check that I'm still alive during the night and I don't want to make her stressed by closing her in a crate where she can't do this. This is happening less now though so I may start off leaving the crate open, of course she's going to be straight into my bed as soon as I fall asleep.

Advertisement