Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Militaria Collector's house up in flames

• 07-01-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

On the RTÉ website this morning:

RT&#201 wrote:
    Emergency crews dealing with fire in Co Louth

Updated: 10:02, Saturday, 7 January 2012

Two men were rescued from the house and were not injured

Gardaí, the Fire Brigade and Army bomb disposal experts are at the scene of an overnight house fire in Castlebellingham in Co Louth.

The bomb disposal team was called in as a precaution due to safety concerns over items which may have been in the house when the fire broke out.

It is understood the owner of the house may be a collector of military artefacts.

However the Defence Forces say no items of a potential safety concern have been found at the property so far.

The fire was reported at about 12.18am this morning.

Two men were in the house at the time, but they were rescued and were not injured.

Around 25 fire fighters were called to assist in extinguishing the blaze.

Three pump ladders, an aerial platform and a water tanker were used by the fire brigade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I hope that is no one from here. 25 firemen called out must have been substantial. With smoke, fire and water damage sounds like that collection may have been destroyed. There are a few collections around the country in private hands that are historically significant (imo). Even so, glad to hear no one was physically hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Glad to hear that nobody was hurt. The owner of the house is Director General of the International Bodyguard Association. The address is listed here under 'Contact' - http://www.ibabodyguards.com/cms/

He's also a fairly well known peddler of bull****, not that it's pertinent to the story.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Baron_of_Castleshort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

bloody hell !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Glad to hear that nobody was hurt. The owner of the house is Director General of the International Bodyguard Association. The address is listed here under 'Contact' - http://www.ibabodyguards.com/cms/

He's also a fairly well known peddler of bull****, not that it's pertinent to the story.

fan fukin' tastic..... perfect for AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Todesengel

Firstly Preusse... you sound like a decent person. Certainly your concern for the family that lived in the house that was burnt down shows that you are not of the ilk of the other two subscribers.

A family is grieving today for the loss of all their possessions every photograph, every heirloom, which represented treasured memories of loved ones...everything wiped out by fire. The cause of which is yet to be determined.Two young men almost lost their lives, contrary to the news reports that no-one was injured. The family pet died in the fire.
    As for URL and mattjack - well I wont breach the code of conduct of this blog by telling you both what you are with your Schadenfreude.Although I think that you both have breached it by your actions and words!
    I have been following the malicious cyber defamation and bullying campaign on the blog link you posted, URL. The people, who post there are not innocent, nor are they valiant By posting the link URL, you are as guilty as the 'pond life' that post and spread the lies and vitriol there.
    mattjack, I only hope such a tragedy does not befall you and/or your nearest and dearest. There's an old Irish saying,' But for the grace of God, there go I'...Think about it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Todesengel wrote: »
    Firstly Preusse... you sound like a decent person. Certainly your concern for the family that lived in the house that was burnt down shows that you are not of the ilk of the other two subscribers.

A family is grieving today for the loss of all their possessions every photograph, every heirloom, which represented treasured memories of loved ones...everything wiped out by fire. The cause of which is yet to be determined.Two young men almost lost their lives, contrary to the news reports that no-one was injured. The family pet died in the fire.
    As for URL and mattjack - well I wont breach the code of conduct of this blog by telling you both what you are with your Schadenfreude.Although I think that you both have breached it by your actions and words!
    I have been following the malicious cyber defamation and bullying campaign on the blog link you posted, URL. The people, who post there are not innocent, nor are they valiant By posting the link URL, you are as guilty as the 'pond life' that post and spread the lies and vitriol there.
    mattjack, I only hope such a tragedy does not befall you and/or your nearest and dearest. There's an old Irish saying,' But for the grace of God, there go I'...Think about it !

It's not a case of Schadenfreude at all, Todesengel. Believe it or not I took absolutely no pleasure whatsoever from hearing that the man's home burned down. As for the pond life spreading vitriol over on AARSE; well those guys have put a lot of time and research into what they are doing, and they are very knowledgeable on the subject. Furthermore, they don't stand to gain from any of it.

I'm sorry if the links I posted caused any offense, I just thought that they made some interesting reading.

I made no comment about the fire nor wished bad luck upon anybody.The article made good reading , obviously its of concern or interest to you...to make a few things clear I,ve nothing to do with anything to do with the Bloglink , I commented about the man living in the house not the bad luck that fell on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

RTE said bomb disposal experts had been called in.
    how could he train with automatic rifles in the Republic?
    fantastic. I think I will award myself some medals as well. He may have upset a lot of people with his lavish claims. I cannot imagine anyone who served with the SAS are amused that someone who was never a member posed as such.

Where do I go about buying or creating a title such as Baron of Castleshort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I am not aware of that old Irish saying and I collect proverbs, but am also not familiar with Darby o Gill either.
    nobody is gloating at the destruction of of a family home.
    the description of his lordship made for fascinating reading as most people would only have been vaguely familiar with his lordship until now.

I suspect Todesengel is one of the "Little People " or Darby O' Gill himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

mattjack wrote: »
    I suspect Todesengel is one of the "Little People " or Darby O' Gill himself.

Leprechaun is unlikely as Todesengel means 'The Angel of Death' (as Josef Mengele was known).

Circled jerked from here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/175225-fire-castlebellingham-co-louth-possibly-mr-shortts-place-19.html#post4161476

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

This has gone off-topic. I intended this post to be about a potential militaria collector and the possibilities of loss of live and collection but it seems it turned more into a thread about the military background of the owner. As I am also the OP I am closing this thread as it has run its course.

I would suggest that anyone who wishes to discuss the matters raised in the last 8 or 9 posts to discuss this in the more appropriate Military forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=659

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement