Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's unreal comparing to what happened in years 07'-'12 to '91-'96

• 07-01-2012 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

In the 5 years in the 90's 2Pac made all his albums, B.I.G. made his appearance, Jay-Z & Nas made their debuts. So did Wu-Tang.

Meanwhile from 2007 to 2012 there hasn't been a very good new act. Just Drake and these "Rappers" who mumble over a very heavy crunk beat. I mean we have Nas, Rakim, etc releasing albums so that is all good. We still have great rappers in the game releasing new material.

I mean if Detox came out tomorrow and if it had Dre at his best, with some appearances from Nas, Jay, Eminem at his best it would be as good as any Hip-Hop album. But regards any new talent, SMH.

(I wrote this topic while listening to "Strictly 4 My N***az and It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Is Back btw.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

:rolleyes: meh another poster complaining. SMH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I don't think we'll ever see a time when hip hop will have as many quality albums/artists as it had during the years you listed, just like rock/metal won't be as widespread with quality releases as it was from the mid '80's to early '90's

That time period was definitely the peak of the genre.

There are a lot of upincoming artists that have bright furtures, (Kendrick, Big K.R.I.T, Danny Brown) but the sad reality is, labels don't put on rappers now as much as they did in the '90's, and many of the better releases are being overlooked as a result, while the more "mainstream" releases are usually panned by hardcore rap fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It is amazing what happened from 84-90.

We had Run-Dmc, Eric B and Rakim, PE, NWA, De La, ATCQ ……….

From 1979-1984 you had the formation of Hip-Hop Music……

But that said 07-12 was the worst period in hip-hop in general, I am struggling to think of one new artist I like that started in that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If you enjoy current hip-hop for what it is, and dont take it too seriously, dont think that every track should have deep rooted political agenda or minority movement, and dont compare every new artist to Biggie and Pac who were the best to ever do it... You will hate current hip-hop less.

The trick? Listen to old stuff, the golden age, and be like "Damn they dont make 'em like this anymore." Find new artists you like and listen to them, find new artists you DONT like and DONT listen to them. I dont understand this about modern hip-hop, people go out of their way to listen to stuff they dont like just so they can say how **** it is. I think Soulja Boy is god awful, therefor, I think I have heard 3 of his tracks, he doesnt bother me that much, because I dont give him the time of day.

If you sit around waiting for artists like the ones from 91-96 to emerge you will be waiting a long time. Hip-hop is alot more popular now, and there is alot of crap out there due to the internet and social media, but as long as people like money it will keep coming, its up to you to avoid it and encourage what you do like, if you dont like ANY new artist AT ALL? Well then I'm sure you've got a cracking collection of early 90's material which will have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

We have loads of quality stuff coming out these days.
    Check out some of these albums:

The Roots - Undun
    Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
    Kanye - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    Ehlzi - Elmatic
    Eminem and Royce Da 5'9"- Hell: The Sequel
    Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committe Part 2
    Vakill - Armor of God

and that's only in the last year.

• Advertisement

Personaly there is a lot of new rap I like, but after thinking about this thread I can not think of any rapper I like who started from 06/07 onwards.

Well Hopsin I suppose but everyone else who is releasing things I like have been around for years.

Personaly there is a lot of new rap I like, but after thinking about this thread I can not think of any rapper I like who started from 06/07 onwards.

Well Hopsin I suppose but everyone else who is releasing things I like have been around for years.

So you don't like Yelawolf, Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator, Big K.R.I.T or Kid Cudi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Withrax wrote: »
    So you don't like Yelawolf, Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator, Big K.R.I.T or Kid Cudi?

I don't.

I am not a fan of Yela.
    Kid Cudi had one good song.
    Kendrick Lamar is ok, I am fairly ambivalent towards him.

I do not know of Big KRIT. (with a quick listen I would have the same opinion of him as I do of Lamar in that if the song was shorter it would be better. I will give him a proper listen though.)

I very very very much dislike Tyler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Kid Cudi had one good song.

Which one?

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Which one?

I think he means kid cudi had one successful song, mainstream wise and that would be day n night, which i have a strong hatred for.

Which one?

Day n Night which I actually like, along with it being by far his biggest hit.
    Everything else I heard from him was pretty average.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I think he means kid cudi had one successful song, mainstream wise and that would be day n night, which i have a strong hatred for.

Kind of. I mean I have one song of his I like and that is his biggest hit by far in fact his only hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

day n night, which i have a strong hatred for.

That song is terrible.. I'm not Cudi's biggest fan but judging him solely on that track alone is taking the piss, he has a few decent tracks on both his albums.

That song is terrible.. I'm not Cudi's biggest fan but judging him solely on that track alone is taking the piss, he has a few decent tracks on both his albums.

I'm not judging him on that song I just said I have a hatred for that song, theres a difference.

Opinion, thats his opinion.

I think the beat is nice and the lyrics are pretty good. Neither of which I can say of the other tracks I heard of his.

Yeah I can understand the dislike for Tyler. But Kendrick and KRIT are awesome.

Kudi has loads of good songs

Kendrick Lamar is good, and I do not dislike him I just do not like his music enough from what I heard. He has grown on me over time though.

Yeah I think it takes most people a while to get into Kendrick Lamar.

Check out this review of it

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

kid cudis first album was brill, totally unexpected. as for hip hop itself i think there has been plenty of great music since the golden era, if u havent heard hip-hop is dead, its buried underground:). i think in 10-15 years time people will be saying the same thing about now, i say its a nostalgic thing.

i say its a nostalgic thing.

Well considering I grew up in on Eminem and onwards I doubt it is nostalgia for me as I was not born in the 80's and not old enough to remember most of the 90's hip-hop wise.

The last 5 years is not comparable to any other 5 years in hip-hop I think that is fair to say.

• Advertisement

So are you saying the last five years are the worst five years of hip hop?

So are you saying the last five years are the worst five years of hip hop?

If he was saying that I would most certainly agree with him.

If he was saying that I would most certainly agree with him.

I am, and I do not know many people who would or could argue any different.

I am open to hear of reasons it was not the worst period ever, but I can not see much reason to disagree.

Thats not to say there was not good music and great music released in the last five years but it is harder to find and much less than before.

I think it would be interesting to compare 01-06 to 07-12.
    What is everyones favourite stuff that came out in those years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I would agree on the last 5 years of hip hop being possibly the worst.

why?

Well first of all commercial hip hop is well and truly dead, no more will we ever hear actual real hip hop make the charts without a pop or techno influence in it, that for me alone is hugely disappointing.

Also the rappers/artists have a lot to do with it, your snoop doggs, kanye wests, lil waynes supposedly hip hop mega stars ditching hip hop and going so industry and basically really selling the fu*k out but yet get away with it.

Rick Ross is a another perfect example, a few years ago this man would of been crucified by all of gangsta hip hop fans and rappers a like, he is an actual proven fraud pretending to be a drug lord while in truth he was locking people up as a correctional officer which he denied time after time until the pictures actually surfaced.

The so called real gangsta rappers who collab with him just because he is relevant to try and Resurrect their careers or make a quick buck are even worse, seriously like you are who you say you are but yet your making gangsta hip hop with an ex cop?

that is just one example of how bad hip hop and how fake hip hop has become imo.

But i would say this there's diamonds in the dirt to be found and kendrick lamar is most defiantly one of them, if you are going to listen to any new artist he is one who deserves a chance.

and are ye talking about the original day and nite by cudi or the more popular techno remix?

either the way the hip hop version is awful and the remix is techno...

I am talking the remix, ye the crookers remix.
    I do not mind techno in hip-hop, it is just a different beat/production style.

The original beat is quite techno-y too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I am talking the remix, ye the crookers remix.
    I do not mind techno in hip-hop, it is just a different beat/production style.

The original beat is quite techno-y too?

i was just asking because we are talking about how bad hip hop has become that kid cudi day & nite remix isnt even hip hop music its just an out and out techno/dance song.

the original is nothing special to begin with but the fact his biggest hit is purely a techno song says it all, now i like some of cudi's music but as far as actual rapping skills go he is awful.

this cannot be classed as hip hop im sorry, good tune though but its not hip hop.

original which i think is awful, cudi sounds like he is learning how to rap on just about every verse he spits on nearly every song terrible mc.

It was released as a hip-hop song, and as I said personally I do not mind "techno" beats as it is just anothr style of beats/production.

Personally I like the song, I do not own it or have it on my iPod but I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Big K.R.I.T. and Kendrick Lamar are beasts on the mic.

And yes, I much prefer Hip-Hop now to 6-7 years ago. A lot less bull**** about sales for one thing. No one is selling nowadays, makes it a more level playing field.

And no, it will never be as good as it was in 95 or 89, but neither will rock be as good as it was in the late 60s, or soul in the 70s etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

HovaBaby wrote: »
    In the 5 years in the 90's 2Pac made all his albums, B.I.G. made his appearance, Jay-Z & Nas made their debuts. So did Wu-Tang.

Meanwhile from 2007 to 2012 there hasn't been a very good new act. Just Drake and these "Rappers" who mumble over a very heavy crunk beat. I mean we have Nas, Rakim, etc releasing albums so that is all good. We still have great rappers in the game releasing new material.

I mean if Detox came out tomorrow and if it had Dre at his best, with some appearances from Nas, Jay, Eminem at his best it would be as good as any Hip-Hop album. But regards any new talent, SMH.

(I wrote this topic while listening to "Strictly 4 My N***az and It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Is Back btw.)

modern day mainstream hip hop is ****e I must admit , but in the last number of years has seen the emergence and re-emergence of a lot of underground hip hop acts ,

Immortal technique (imho every bit as good if not better than both Pac and Biggie)
    JMT , Vinnie paz
    outerspace
    evidence
    Ill Bill
    Lowkey
    Akala
    Klashnekoff
    Cormega
    Slaine
    Slaughterhouse
    Blaq Poet
    Block McCloud
    not to mention in the last few years albums like Damian Marley/Nas ,
    latest Raekwon album.

UNderground hip hop lives on

As much as I love immortal technique he is not better than Pac, whatever about Biggie otherwise I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

baddebt wrote: »
    Immortal technique (imho every bit as good if not better than both Pac and Biggie)

****ing hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

sh1t is getting heavy yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

baddebt wrote: »
    modern day mainstream hip hop is ****e I must admit , but in the last number of years has seen the emergence and re-emergence of a lot of underground hip hop acts ,

mother of god ive seen it all now.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I think the new Reakwon and Ghostface albums* (last year or two) are dope sauce. The good Hip Hop just doesn't get the acclaim it used to but there is still banging stuff coming out.

*Shoilin vs. Wu Tang and Apollo Kids

• Advertisement

Even Illmatic didn't get much mainstream success when it was released back in the day.

Even Illmatic didn't get much mainstream success when it was released back in the day.

No it had a buzz among fans and had quite big collaborations on it it is just it was on a small label, a debut and by a young new york emcee around the time pac, big etc were around so of course the commercial success of it would not be huge.

Advertisement