Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want Dark Souls on PC?

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Signed for whats its worth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd pirate the **** out of this game if it came to pc
    if it was any good I might even download it twice!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would love to see it happen, even if i don't think it's likely. It's a great game, that deserves to be ported over. Not sure how well it would translate to a mouse/keyboard, but as TB says, its something that From could figure out (or just use a joypad).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

He did had some very valid points with pc gaming and it's digital distribution.

Aoe 3 was great example. Who knows, we might get
    Dark souls on pc too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hah, I was going to post this in Gaming Humor last night.
    An online oriented video game is also perfect for the capabilities of a PC. Steam would also be suitable venue provided the game is sold at a reasonable price for a late port.

Master race my ****ing bollox.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Hah, I was going to post this in Gaming Humor last night.

Master race my ****ing bollox.

you again.... :rolleyes:

you again.... :rolleyes:
    I assume by the rolling eyes that you disagree that the content I quoted shows a complete misunderstanding of the online functionality of Dark Souls combined with a further example of the horrific sense of entitlement evident within a certain portion of the gaming community?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I'd love to see more people play what is easily the best game of last year through a PC port, the video from totalhalibut is more than a little ridiculous.

Honestly, games like Dark Souls are the reasons why a multiformat gamer is the happier gamer :) Like I can never understand console fanboyism, I really feel as if PC gamers are missing out on spectacular games by making pointless ten minute videos when that time could be better spent walking down and buying a dirt cheap 360!

While I'd love to see more people play what is easily the best game of last year through a PC port

im sure we all would, but there's already a thread on skyrim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having played the great but absurdly overrated Skyrim, Dark Souls kicks its generic fantasy ass on pretty much every level. As does Skyward Sword, Spacechem, Catherine, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Portal 2 and a few others too :)

IMO, of course ;)

• Advertisement

While I'd love to see more people play what is easily the best game of last year through a PC port, the video from totalhalibut is more than a little ridiculous.

Honestly, games like Dark Souls are the reasons why a multiformat gamer is the happier gamer :) Like I can never understand console fanboyism, I really feel as if PC gamers are missing out on spectacular games by making pointless ten minute videos when that time could be better spent walking down and buying a dirt cheap 360!

dont really agree.

i got a very powerfull PC and i got all consoles, but Wii.

alot of people chose PC platform for theyr games, same as other chose PS3 over XBOX or XBOX over PS3 and PC. Some fanboys should take theyr heads out of arses and realise, that pc is a gaming platform like a console, just in different form. if you listen the video he said that he owned that game on PS3 and really enjoyed it, he would buy a second copy on pc too, just because he likes gaming on pc and likes to have game on his steam libary, so he can play it after xx years. So no, he did not wasted 10 minutes of video, he does a good thing to fellow gamer ( no matter what platform ).

i do own all 3 platforms, but i dont want to play dark souls on on xbox or ps3. so here you go, the sale was not made, i did not bough the game, because i was not happy with platform it was on. ( i have no hate to the consoles, it just PC is my preference of gaming, if someone enjoys theyr xbox, then i am very happy for them, as i had fun with it, while it lasted.)

250eu xbox + 50eu dark souls is not dirt cheap. it is really not dirt cheap if you are PC gamer and you interested only in one game from xbox libary - dark souls.

He says that dark souls would be a great addition to PC game libary as PC can offer a great advantages, that consoles could not do. He did not started a fanboism war, he just wanted that such great game would be made a port for pc, so even more people could enjoy it. so he listed advantages and perks of coming to PC.

unfortunately some fanboys listen to what he says and make it look like fanboys war pc vs consoles. so here we go: we got 2 camps after this video:

camp 1: people who are happy and want dark souls on PC, so they can enjoy it too.

camp2: HOW DARE YOU!!! YOU JUST SAID THAT CONSOLES ARE ****!!! YOU DAMN FLIPPING PC FANBOY!

I didn't mind the video actually, Dark Souls would, by its very nature, fit in right at home on the PC. It would also be great to see given the fact that, as you said, it's an utterly fantastic game and GOTY material for most of those who have played it. Hell, technically speaking there's even very little holding a port back what with the game being developed on the multi-platform PhyreEngine ensuring they have a workable base to being with.

My issue, should it need clarification, is this need to belittle the other platforms in order to justify the port, especially when you follow it up with something which shows you don't even understand a major aspect of the game you're talking about. The "reasonable price for a late port" thing is just utterly infuriating and belies all rationality given the arguments made to justify it in the first place.

i will add to my post:

witcher 2 was pure PC game and it is fantastic game.

Project CD-red said that they will make a console port.

i could call myself a hardcore pc gamer and when i heard that - i was freaking happy!!! Its such a great game and i would LOVE to see more people enjoy it. It will do a great deal for project cd-red too as they will get more money of it and make more witcher games and maybe even more complex and bigger! everybody win!

so why cant console people be happy and support pc gamers in their hour of need? Instead we get this! :rolleyes:

i do own all 3 platforms, but i dont want to play dark souls on on xbox or ps3. so here you go, the sale was not made, i did not bough the game, because i was not happy with platform it was on. ( i have no hate to the consoles, it just PC is my preference of gaming, if someone enjoys theyr xbox, then i am very happy for them, as i had fun with it, while it lasted.)

But you don't really clarify why you didn't buy it on 360 or PS3? Sure a PC port would have better graphics (I don't agree it would have better controls) but that would make very little difference to the overall. Mods would be nice too, granted. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game on consoles, despite perhaps some very, very irregular framerate drops. In the absence of a PC version, would you not just happily play the console game if you're so eager to play it? See also: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Deadly Premonition, Zelda, Mario Galaxy and all the other tremendous games that have not had a PC version for various reasons both commercial and artistic. Like I'd love a Witcher 2 console port - which I believe is coming? - but fully accept that I can't play it at the moment because I don't have a gaming PC (on Mac for career and college reasons). Don't feel strongly enough to make a ten minute video about it though, nor will I ever!
    250eu xbox + 50eu dark souls is not dirt cheap. it is really not dirt cheap if you are PC gamer and you interested only in one game from xbox libary - dark souls.

Little over 150 for the core Xbox, and Dark Souls can already be gotten for half price :) And easily affordable to anyone who spent money on building a monster PC, I'd imagine! And it's not like Dark Souls is the only brilliant game console exclusive - Child of Eden and that would be worth the entry price alone, however ;)
    He says that dark souls would be a great addition to PC game libary as PC can offer a great advantages, that consoles could not do.

And I fully agree a PC port would be something to welcome with open arms. But nor am I going to lose sleep that it doesn't exist :) I, just for the record, am a huge fan of the PC indie community, Steam and the joys of a mouse and keyboard and am a firm believer in multi-format choice. I also don't like getting into this argument everytime this topic comes up - regularly! - but I am always at a loss as to why PC gamers just aren't willing to engage with any other console at all when the reality of the situation solely favours the multiformat gamer. In the exact same way I wouldn't understand how a PS3 gamer would fail to engage with the vibrant PC world.

But you don't really clarify why you didn't buy it on 360 or PS3? Sure a PC port would have better graphics (I don't agree it would have better controls) but that would make very little difference to the overall. Mods would be nice too, granted. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game on consoles, despite perhaps some very, very irregular framerate drops. In the absence of a PC version, would you not just happily play the console game if you're so eager to play it? See also: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Deadly Premonition, Zelda, Mario Galaxy and all the other tremendous games that have not had a PC version for various reasons both commercial and artistic. Like I'd love a Witcher 2 console port - which I believe is coming? - but fully accept that I can't play it at the moment because I don't have a gaming PC (on Mac for career and college reasons). Don't feel strongly enough to make a ten minute video about it though, nor will I ever!

Little over 150 for the core Xbox, and Dark Souls can already be gotten for half price :) And easily affordable to anyone who spent money on building a monster PC, I'd imagine! And it's not like Dark Souls is the only brilliant game console exclusive - Child of Eden and that would be worth the entry price alone, however ;)

And I fully agree a PC port would be something to welcome with open arms. But nor am I going to lose sleep that it doesn't exist :) I, just for the record, am a huge fan of the PC indie community, Steam and the joys of a mouse and keyboard and am a firm believer in multi-format choice. I also don't like getting into this argument everytime this topic comes up - regularly! - but I am always at a loss as to why PC gamers just aren't willing to engage with any other console at all when the reality of the situation solely favours the multiformat gamer.

ah qouting separate parts... ah well...

I dont buy it on xbox or ps3, just because i dont want to play in my living room.
    When we both come back from work misses gets TV.
    I prefer playing in my office/gaming room which is space only for me, with confy chair.
    i prefer my pc for games as it has better controls ( for me anyway, not a fanboism starter )
    i love having 2 monitors with my pc as i can have aditional info on second screen while i play my game or play games and have south park on second screen. all this i control with just few clicks!
    i love to be able to quit my game and have limitless pc/internet entertainment possibilities. with a click of a button i can stop playing game and watch my favorite shows, listen to music, troll on boards.ie, watch youtube, talk to my friends who are not playing games, but just on pc ( vent). then i can jump back to any game i own with double click!
    i love to be able to play bf3 with amazing graphics and on 64 player maps.
    i love the mods.
    i love steam and have all my games with a click of a button.
    i HATE swaping discs when i decide play some other game. ( console )

thats just a few things, why i dont buy games for my consoles anymore. I listed all those things, but if a console gamer loves his xbox, then bejesus, good for you!!!

I dont know why console gamers are even upset by this! they wont lose anything from it, just more people will be able enjoy a good game. instead PCs get hate for not buying a console...

You say that pc gamers dont engage with consoles, thats crap m8, if you are a GAMER and play on pc, then chances that you own some sort of console is 98%. Gamers are gamers, fanboys are fanboys. problems comes up when you get a taste of bouth and then you will decide which one will dominate in your playing time.
    unfortunately alot of console gamers dont try PC gaming and then just become PC gamer haters, where most of PC gamer will have tried both things and will go for better deal.

what really makes me so confused: why on earth do console gamers found an issue with such thing?! shouldnt console gamers be happy? that such a great game gets so much atention from pc gamers?!

nobody asked console gamer to buy PC to play bf3,MW3,SKYRIM,Batman, you got it on your xbox. Damn even one of the greatest RPGs will come over to console, so you would not need to buy a pc! ( witcher 2)
    Why we cant get some nice treatment like this too?

food for thought. great points too.

What console gamers aren't happy with the idea of a Dark Souls port? :confused:
    food for thought. great points too.

Some good points there alright, especially with regard to using the feedback from the petition to determine whether future games in the series come to PC. I wouldn't be too worried about a port should it happen though, they handled the Ninja Blade port internally and as far as I'm aware there were no problems with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Since my PS3 is knackered, i'd like to see the 'Souls Series' to PC, haven't played both

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Did you even watch the video?
    TB said he has the game on console as do lots of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

That v/o (in the OP) is extremely irritating. Some of his information is just wrong - old console games often do sell if they are any good. Other information he gives is selectively eidted to be misleading - nobody buys the xcom complete pack because they want the first game in the series. I turned it off at that point because he was getting his knickers in a twist, even if the visual component of the video was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I want all games on the PC. So yes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

nobody buys the xcom complete pack because they want the first game in the series.

That's just not true. You'd be surprised how many people buy the pack to be able to play the 1st game on modern systems.

Kiith wrote: »
    That's just not true. You'd be surprised how many people buy the pack to be able to play the 1st game on modern systems.

JA2 was one of my biggest childhood loves. i bought it for 10eu on steam after so many years!

its a 1999 game, which i bought in 2011. every single penny after 20+ years went to developer! what is better i can download mods which add better resolution, textures, better ui, more weapons, new worlds and new conflicts!
    imagine going to gamestop and ask console game from 1999 for your sega mega drive 2 or Snes! the only way to get those is second hand or remake, but not all good games ever got remakes!

That v/o (in the OP) is extremely irritating. Some of his information is just wrong - old console games often do sell if they are any good. Other information he gives is selectively eidted to be misleading - nobody buys the xcom complete pack because they want the first game in the series. I turned it off at that point because he was getting his knickers in a twist, even if the visual component of the video was good.

Thats why hes widely regarded as one of the best in the business.
    Devs are constantly contacting him to showcase their games in his WTF is series.
    Constant invites to games convention the world over, in short he knows what hes talking about contrary to what you think.
    He never said old consoles dont sell he simply said old PC games tend to sell a lot more and longer thanks to difital distribution.

Seems to be people who are hellbent to diasgree with him without even watching the video :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Don't see why not, brilliant game that everyone should beable to enjoy !

Magill wrote: »
    Don't see why not, brilliant game that everyone should beable to enjoy !

Says it all really.

Dcully wrote: »
    Seems to be people who are hellbent to diasgree with him without even watching the video :rolleyes:

I am not disagreeing with him - in fact, I agree strongly enough he has no need to convince me. I watched three minutes of it and thought he was going over the same old tired, repetitive generalisations and points of PC vs consoles. So decided I could spend six minutes doing something more productive (like replying to this thread :P) than listening to someone talk about a hypothetical port of a game I've already played and completed.

This old argument gets no-one anywhere, so I will re-emphasise I hope Dark Souls - once again, the best game in many a year - gets a PC port, and sympathise with the plight of the PC gamer due to their unfortunate lack of Dark Souls. However, in the likely event that it doesn't get ported, I think not playing it just because it's on a console is more than a bit absurd, much like never playing any of the other great games that have been platform exclusive in the past - from Civilisation to Mario to Bayonetta to Counter Strike. A balanced gamer is a happy gamer.

if it doesn't get a pc release i'm just never going to get to play it as I've no interest whatsoever in owning a ps3

maybe in 10 years time when you can get them cheap on ebay...maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you want to play it buy an Xbox. You can pick one up for roughly the same price as a bad graphics card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd like PC owners to be able to play it.

But honestly, aren't we reaching the point where graphical returns are diminishing?

Better graphics aren't reallty the be all and end all at the moment.

Video a bit preachy.

Advertisement