Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want Dark Souls on PC?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I am not disagreeing with him - in fact, I agree strongly enough he has no need to convince me. I watched three minutes of it and thought he was going over the same old tired, repetitive generalisations and points of PC vs consoles. So decided I could spend six minutes doing something more productive (like replying to this thread :P) than listening to someone talk about a hypothetical port of a game I've already played and completed.

This old argument gets no-one anywhere, so I will re-emphasise I hope Dark Souls - once again, the best game in many a year - gets a PC port, and sympathise with the plight of the PC gamer due to their unfortunate lack of Dark Souls. However, in the likely event that it doesn't get ported, I think not playing it just because it's on a console is more than a bit absurd, much like never playing any of the other great games that have been platform exclusive in the past - from Civilisation to Mario to Bayonetta to Counter Strike. A balanced gamer is a happy gamer.

Totally agree but TB in the video was not saying he wouldnt play it on console, infact he does :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats why hes widely regarded as one of the best in the business.
    Devs are constantly contacting him to showcase their games in his WTF is series.
    Constant invites to games convention the world over, in short he knows what hes talking about contrary to what you think.
    He never said old consoles dont sell he simply said old PC games tend to sell a lot more and longer thanks to difital distribution.

Seems to be people who are hellbent to diasgree with him without even watching the video :rolleyes:
    Yes he did say exactly that 6 year old console games dont sell.
    Dont care if he's popular or not. That kinda OTT **** appeals to lots of people. Doesn't mean I have to like it or he isn't talking sh!t when he says things like I mentioned. Popular and good are not the same thing.

If you have an issue with TB take it eslewhere tbh, stick to the topic please :)

If you have an issue with TB take it eslewhere tbh, stick to the topic please :)
    You're not a moderator of this forum so quit that crap. If you have an issue with my post use the report post button please.
    The video in the original post is part of the subject being discussed anyway.
    ffs

You're not a moderator of this forum so quit that crap. If you have an issue with my post use the report post button please.
    ffs

Quit what crap?
    Simple polite request to stay on topic.
    Nobody needs to be a mod to request people to stay on topic.
    Take a chill pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I've yet to play Dark souls but loved Demon souls to bits.

As far as I'm concerned , Demon Souls was the perfect console game. It was not a console game trying to be a PC game. It was a pure console game and worked perfectly on it. Loved the controls.

Of course any game on console can be played on PC but if they did release dark souls and if the controls are like demon souls I could see myself playing it with a pad over a mouse and keyboard.

It might be nice crisper visuals and such other effects. And online works better on PC as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To be honest the whole thing baffles me. There seems to be a subset of PC gamers that just refuse to even consider the notion of playing videogames on anything other than a PC. The PC is a brilliant games machine - I have a Steam account with over 120 games and have put more days (I wish it was still only hours) than I'd like to admit into WoW. However, it's by no means the be all and end all of gaming.

Anyone who refuses to game on consoles is cutting off their nose to spite their faces and missing out on some of the best games that they (won't) ever play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be honest the whole thing baffles me. There seems to be a subset of PC gamers that just refuse to even consider the notion of playing videogames on anything other than a PC.

To be fair, there's a whole subset of console gamers who refuse to play games on the pc. It's not just pc gamers. People stick to what they know.

Quit what crap?
    Simple polite request to stay on topic.
    Nobody needs to be a mod to request people to stay on topic.
    Take a chill pill.
    being told to take it elsewhere is hardly polite.
    You're the one who started debating about total biscuit (or whoever he is) outside of the context of the video itself. Then you get onto me about it - which is dragging things more off topic in itself.
    Anyway enough of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ffs

reported, thank you for letting me.

i see where this topic is going now, so i just better enjoy my pc and go back on that cloud and resume being glorious PC master race member. some peasants will newer learn and will refuse to learn.

pcgamingmasterrace.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sisko wrote: »
    I've yet to play Dark souls but loved Demon souls to bits.

As far as I'm concerned , Demon Souls was the perfect console game. It was not a console game trying to be a PC game. It was a pure console game and worked perfectly on it. Loved the controls.

Of course any game on console can be played on PC but if they did release dark souls and if the controls are like demon souls I could see myself playing it with a pad over a mouse and keyboard.

It might be nice crisper visuals and such other effects. And online works better on PC as always.
    See, this is more of it. How is Demons Souls a perfect console game rather than just say a perfect game? Why does this even need to be quantified?

And there's the online comment again. How could the online work better on PC in the case of Demons/Dark Souls?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kiith wrote: »
    To be fair, there's a whole subset of console gamers who refuse to play games on the pc. It's not just pc gamers. People stick to what they know.

Yeah but they're pretty much happy with their lot. I don't think you'd ever see a similar campaign with a similar sense of entitlement from them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Where's the entitlement though? All we are saying is we'd love to see one of the best games of 2011 ported over to the pc. A few mentions of how the pc could maybe handle it better (as in no bad framerates like you mentioned), but that's about it. The more people that get to play it, the better. Although i do agree that people shouldn't not play it just cause it's on a console. I love consoles.

Also, i probably coudn't play it on my pc atm anyway...****ing pc! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Yeah but they're pretty much happy with their lot. I don't think you'd ever see a similar campaign with a similar sense of entitlement from them.

Probably because when it comes to PC gamers, they've been around the block when it comes to consoles and become enlightened when they start to game on a PC with some real horsepower behind it, it's generally never the other way around. It reminds me of when I made the switch from my old SDTV to gaming at HD resolutions. You just find it really difficult to go back. There's not an awful lot a console can do that a PC can't do ten times better. Reminds me of this image:

1323098743003.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I signed the petition even though im a console gamer.
    I used to be a PC gamer but I went away from gaming for a few years while I travelled, I came home and PC gaming was to expensive when I could get a decent PC to play with medium graphics for 800 euro or I could get an Xbox that plays everygame for 300 euro. It took a while to get used to the controls and the graphics arent as l33t although they are better than anything I had ever played in the past so im happy now.
    Good on you for being whatever play style just remember your playing games your not better than anyone for your choice its just a game.
    I hope Dark Souls comes out on PC because I would like my brother to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I made my switch from console to PC and never have looked back. That being said I still do have a PS3 (which I never use) and a wii which I do occasionally play for Nintendo first party exclusives.

I actually did play Dark souls before on my friends xbox and wasn't that impressed with it. Skyrim is better imo.

gizmo wrote: »
    See, this is more of it. How is Demons Souls a perfect console game rather than just say a perfect game? Why does this even need to be quantified?

And there's the online comment again. How could the online work better on PC in the case of Demons/Dark Souls?

Jaysus you can't even throw a compliment to the consoles.

When I played ps1 back in the day there was plenty of great console games what worked brilliant on it, resi evil 1 and the likes. Then there was PC games that didnt. Quake 2.

When I bought a ps3 I was looking forward to playing some console games again but instead they went down the Quake 2 path and its filled with PC games dumbed down and compressed onto a console.

Demon souls finally scratched that itch. It works perfectly on a console with out me thinking "This would be so much better on PC". Its not a game about expansive levels/ huge open worlds. Its about forcing the player to play well. It reminds me of the console games of old.

Even if Dark Souls was out on PC I would still probably get it for PS3. It would depend.

Internet always works better on PC , I shouldn't even have to explain this. I'd have far less disconnection issues, far easier time connecting to other peoples games. It would be a smoother experience. Luckily Demon Souls does not rely on internet communication thus it being on a console does not hinder it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

When I bought a ps3 I was looking forward to playing some console games again but instead they went down the Quake 2 path and its filled with PC games dumbed down and compressed onto a console.

tommy-lee.jpg

Oooooooooooooh I can FEEL the hate burning inside you.

Sigh.

It's just the way it is accept and move and on. Fine Quake 2 is better on the ps1 yeah.... FPS's are better on consoles as they were invented for consoles. Yeah that's right. :rolleyes:

Look, some games play better on one system compared to the other. But if you enjoy playing games on your fav system, even though they play better on the other one, you shouldn't have a chip on your shoulder about how that does not change the fact that it does play better on the other system and just be content with enjoying it on your own one.

All this from saying Demon Souls plays better on console, god that is one hell of a chip. You peasants are never happy are you? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Somebody please tell me this entire conversation is a clever satire. Any console gamer who doesn't see the appeal of PC gaming - and any PC gamer who doesn't see the appeal of console gaming - should really be in bed by this hour, or having their mummy read them a story.

Getting back to the question at hand, I wouldn't hold my breath on a PC conversion. It would be a pretty expensive exercise and they've made plenty on the console-only release already so I can't see it happening. Pity though - with a bit of development spend I could see it being a really great PC game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kiith wrote: »

Well the video says these consoles have been around for 7 years.

So that means (not in my exact case) that in 7 years I haven't had to make any additional investment over and above the actual console to play the games.

This is the main reason I don't play games on my PC, I actually played loads of games on my PC when I first got it, then I finally got one which wouldn't work because of the spec and there was no way I was going through that costly updating process on a regular basis.

I think it's bewilderment more than hate. I mean, apart from what he quoted above, you've just said this...
    Luckily Demon Souls does not rely on internet communication thus it being on a console does not hinder it.
    So how do people join each others games? :confused:

I think it's bewilderment more than hate. I mean, apart from what he quoted above, you've just said this...

So how do people join each others games? :confused:

I'm not sure if this is what he meant but I believe Demons Souls has dedicated servers whilst Dark Souls is P2P?

noodler wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is what he meant but I believe Demons Souls has dedicated servers whilst Dark Souls is P2P?
    It doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of the paragraph though. :o

It doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of the paragraph though. :o

True maybe he doesn't know Demons Souls has multiplayer features?

True maybe he doesn't know Demons Souls has multiplayer features?
    Yup, that's what I'm thinking alright. Just makes the whole thing more amusing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

To answer the question of the opening post, yes!

I don't care about the willy-waving that's gone on since then.

Sigh.

It's just the way it is accept and move and on. Fine Quake 2 is better on the ps1 yeah.... FPS's are better on consoles as they were invented for consoles. Yeah that's right. :rolleyes:

Look, some games play better on one system compared to the other. But if you enjoy playing games on your fav system, even though they play better on the other one, you shouldn't have a chip on your shoulder about how that does not change the fact that it does play better on the other system and just be content with enjoying it on your own one.

All this from saying Demon Souls plays better on console, god that is one hell of a chip. You peasants are never happy are you? :P

Read what i quoted from your post, most of the best games for consoles this generation have been platformers/adventure styled games.. i don't see how you can say they're dumbed down PC games, thats just a little idiotic really.

and that wasn't a rage/hate face....

this is

1234931504682.jpg

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well the video says these consoles have been around for 7 years.

So that means (not in my exact case) that in 7 years I haven't had to make any additional investment over and above the actual console to play the games.

This is the main reason I don't play games on my PC, I actually played loads of games on my PC when I first got it, then I finally got one which wouldn't work because of the spec and there was no way I was going through that costly updating process on a regular basis.

Ah usual ignorant "pc over priced" bull****...

I got dell 5 years ago for 1k eu ( if I would have bulged it myself it would have been around 600-700eu mark ) and I was playing any game with way higher settings then consoles. That pc was my media centre so I did not needed a laptop or low end pc, which Ussually any console gamer has.
    That pc was on for days, gaming everyday, huge amount of use and it newer stoped. I would have gotten 2-3 xboxes changed with so much amount of stress on it. Plus I don't believe there are many console gamers who are still on theyr first Xbox. I bet 90% already changed then due to death or due to bigger hdds and new slim design. So basically bough same shot hardware again!
    I still got that dell and all I did was put in new gpu for 170eu and it plays bf3 on high settings 64 player maps. That pc still runs anything almost maxed out! It still has atleast 3-4 years of life with that hardware!

I wish that people who go emo about pc costs would actuolly sit down and do a wee bit of cost calculation and see the bigger picture, then just go on Internet a scream: " can anyone think about children!!! "

• Advertisement

Ah usual ignorant "pc over priced" bull****...

I got dell 5 years ago for 1k eu ( if I would have bulged it myself it would have been around 600-700eu mark ) and I was playing any game with way higher settings then consoles. That pc was my media centre so I did not needed a laptop or low end pc, which Ussually any console gamer has.
    That pc was on for days, gaming everyday, huge amount of use and it newer stoped. I would have gotten 2-3 xboxes changed with so much amount of stress on it. Plus I don't believe there are many console gamers who are still on theyr first Xbox. I bet 90% already changed then due to death or due to bigger hdds and new slim design. So basically bough same shot hardware again!
    I still got that dell and all I did was put in new gpu for 170eu and it plays bf3 on high settings 64 player maps. That pc still runs anything almost maxed out! It still has atleast 3-4 years of life with that hardware!
    I wish that people who go emo about pc costs would actuolly sit down and do a wee bit of cost calculation and see the bigger picture, then just go on Internet a scream: " can anyone think about children!!! "

Yeah right !

PC gaming is a pretty expensive platform, at least initially ! Just built my rig from scratch and it cost me.. about 1100ish and thats with no games. All the parts/ monitor / £50 Desk / Keyboard + Gaming mouse/mat.

Advertisement