Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want Dark Souls on PC?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Can people stop with the PC Fanboy crap?

Its PC Fanmen

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah right !

PC gaming is a pretty expensive platform, at least initially ! Just built my rig from scratch and it cost me.. about 1100ish and thats with no games. All the parts/ monitor / £50 Desk / Keyboard + Gaming mouse/mat.

i have 2 systems now:

dell xps 420
    q6600
    3gb ram

plays bf3 on high settings 1650x1050 with AA turned off.

new system:
    8gb ram
    gtx570

plays bf3 on ultra settings 1080p with low AA.

when i built new system i was surprised how still very good my old one was. in gaming the only limitation is GPU these days. the old cpu is more then enough and 2500k is not even getting half usage at full load in games. the only game that used most cpu was skyrim and that was 56%. i am prety sure if i will get new psu and put in same gpu in old dell i could get not so much worse results in gaming.

in fact i got that old pc connected to my 42 inch telly and since then i havent turned on a single console. not for gaming, not for music, not for movies. i am even thinking of selling xbox with all games it is pure useless now.

once again, bull**** about PC being way to expencive. the only difference you spend on it more as initial investment, which pays out in a long run. i have to admit i could not have said same thing about 7-10 years ago as hardware was ageing by hours and becoming useless. these days hardware/price hit the golden spot and its the best time to be a pc gamer.

but what do i know... i am pc gamer only 15 years... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And for the second time in a week I think a Perry Bible comic strip says more than words ever could.

PBF020-Skub.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

PC is the home of hardcore RPGs so i think it would do quite well. A lot of PC-only RPG fans are missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

once again, bull**** about PC being way to expencive. the only difference you spend on it more as initial investment, which pays out in a long run. i have to admit i could not have said same thing about 7-10 years ago as hardware was ageing by hours and becoming useless. these days hardware/price hit the golden spot and its the best time to be a pc gamer.

but what do i know... i am pc gamer only 15 years... :rolleyes:

But that is the point, Why spend €1000 on a system when you can spend €200 on an xbox/ps3? To the average consumer, pc gaming is too expensive and there is no way to argue against that. I've had 3 xbox's, all of which were replaced under warrenty, My initial investment of ~€250 on hardware has not changed since then.
    I do however feel that it is nearing the perfect time to build a decent pc, with the current gen consoles being replacing within the next few years a large investment will be needed to keep up with the gaming world.

On topic: I would love for Dark Souls to come to pc, but i can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

This thread's turned into a total bitch fest, must be all the console gamers :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

can you play an xbox by itself no, you need a tv for that, which should cost you around 500 quid, the games cost 50-60 euro new so in the end you really arnt saving all that much money going with a console, and every house has some sort of home pc in it (which again should cost at around 500 euro) so why not add on 2-300 to that cost and make a gaming pc

i hate when pc gaming is made out to be super expensive, i can be but it doesnt have to be, gaming on a pc is all about having the freedom to do whatever you want to do

But that is the point, Why spend €1000 on a system when you can spend €200 on an xbox/ps3? To the average consumer, pc gaming is too expensive and there is no way to argue against that. I've had 3 xbox's, all of which were replaced under warrenty, My initial investment of ~€250 on hardware has not changed since then.
    I do however feel that it is nearing the perfect time to build a decent pc, with the current gen consoles being replacing within the next few years a large investment will be needed to keep up with the gaming world.

On topic: I would love for Dark Souls to come to pc, but i can't see it happening.

Do you have laptop or old low spec desktop?

That costed you 400eu + 250eu for console ( lets cut the bull****, if you buy console, you won't buy arcade on, you will buy with controller, hdmi cable etc )

So that's 700eu on ability to browse Internet and play games. For 700eu you can build one powerfull pc, which can be upgradable in the future. It will do same things that console and low spec ****y laptop, but 20xtimes better!

People forget that when you buy pc, you can use it for everything and it's not just gaming device, where's any console is a gaming device with just few little minor perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Do you have laptop or old low spec desktop?
    I have a laptop, which i use for college, I could hardly go carrying around a desktop pc now could i?
    That costed you 400eu + 250eu for console ( lets cut the bull****, if you buy console, you won't buy arcade on, you will buy with controller, hdmi cable etc )
    A controller and cable comes with consoles.
    can you play an xbox by itself no, you need a tv for that, which should cost you around 500 quid
    Chances are you already own a tv, Check the average consumers house.
    the games cost 50-60 euro new so in the end you really arnt saving all that much money going with a console.
    Games cost €40-50, Lets assume thats a €10 saving per game versus pc, The average consumer would need to buy 75 games in order to cover the additional cost. Chance of them having than many? Pretty low.

Im not backing consoles, Im not trying to start a fanboy war, Im just stating facts. The reason pc gaming is made out to be expensive is because in the eyes of the average consumer it is expensive!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Some other points to note about why a PC is a better long-time investment despite the higher cost than a console to entry and to clear up a few misconceptions:
    • Publishers don't have to pay Sony or Microsoft licencing fees to have their games released on their respective platforms, which is why PC games at retail are always cheaper than their console counterparts. Also, digital platform and distributors like Steam, Gamers Gate and Green Man Gaming have greats sales and bargains all year round and with the advent of high-speed broadband hitting nearly every area of Ireland now, digital distribution is even easier than before. Can't say the same for the PS3 or 360 though. Microsoft really tried to push their 'Games on Demand' service. I had a look and for months after launch, Halo: Reach was priced at €70. Can you believe that? They'll never have a patch on the likes of Steam.
    • Unless you're planning on spending a lot of time on an MMO like World of Warcraft (Some friends of mine play Phantasy Star Universe on their Xbox 360s which also requires a separate subscription, which is essentially a subscription on top of a subsciption), playing online with other people is free. You're not expected to pay for the means with which to access the online service and then pay for the online service itself. You're not also at the mercy of the likes of Microsoft to have your online gaming stay alive. Look what happened to Original Xbox games. Microsoft just said "Yeah, we're shutting it off now. Hope you had fun but you can't play these games online anymore." Such a thing will more than likely happen with Xbox Live in its current iteration at a later date, maybe when the next generation of consoles roll around. This isn't the case for the PC. It's still possible to play older games online with anybody. A popular example is an RTS game from 1997 called Total Annihilation. The studio that created this game went bust after the game was released but it still enjoys an active modding and online community even to this day, 15 years later. Do you think people will be playing Modern Warfare for the Xbox 360 in 15 years time?
    • Proprietary peripherals from simple wireless controllers, headsets and adapters to things like guitar and drum controllers for music games like Rock Band. I can use any peripheral I want with a PC, this is not the case for consoles. A simple mouse and keyboard are all you need to hit the ground running in terms of PC gaming. Citing expensive peripherals like 'gaming' mice and keyboards isn't realistic since console players shell out extra also for special controllers from 3rd parties like Mad Catz and isn't required. A luxury, not a necessity.
    • My PC and its hardware aren't held hostage by Sony or Microsoft. Warranty on my computer and its parts isn't void if I open up the case and try to fix any problems I may have myself. I think console gamers also fail to realize that there are also warranties on every part of the computer there is, from GPUs and CPUs to motherboards, PSUs and cooling systems. If something breaks it's not "OH WELL I HAVE TO GO AND SPEND A GRAND ON A NEW COMPUTER NOW."; certainly not. Everything is easily replaced. A PC is a versatile machine like that.
    • The average consumer thinks PC gaming is too costly, complex or time-consuming. Building a PC only requires a little technical knowhow, comes with instructions (basically adult Lego) and who said some basic computing knowledge is a bad thing in the long run? If you've got the cash to spare and you simply don't feel like doing it, buy the parts yourself and then pay for somebody to assemble it for you. Cost of entry is higher than a console but there seems to be a common misconception that everybody HAS to buy the most up to date parts as soon as they're released. You don't. I spent €835 on my build (And nearly €100 of that was from stupid Paypal charges and shipping from Germany) and my PC plays anything I throw at it, and I haven't even overclocked the GPU or CPU yet. It's a great machine and I know for a fact it'll still outperform Sony or Microsoft's next generation of consoles for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah usual ignorant "pc over priced" bull****...

I got dell 5 years ago for 1k eu ( if I would have bulged it myself it would have been around 600-700eu mark ) and I was playing any game with way higher settings then consoles. That pc was my media centre so I did not needed a laptop or low end pc, which Ussually any console gamer has.
    That pc was on for days, gaming everyday, huge amount of use and it newer stoped. I would have gotten 2-3 xboxes changed with so much amount of stress on it. Plus I don't believe there are many console gamers who are still on theyr first Xbox. I bet 90% already changed then due to death or due to bigger hdds and new slim design. So basically bough same shot hardware again!
    I still got that dell and all I did was put in new gpu for 170eu and it plays bf3 on high settings 64 player maps. That pc still runs anything almost maxed out! It still has atleast 3-4 years of life with that hardware!

I wish that people who go emo about pc costs would actuolly sit down and do a wee bit of cost calculation and see the bigger picture, then just go on Internet a scream: " can anyone think about children!!! "

Hahahahaha, ahahahahah.

What an absolute rant of a post. Your hardware cost you a grand basically.

Thanks for reaffirming my point.

noodler wrote: »
    Hahahahaha, ahahahahah.

What an absolute rant of a post. Your hardware cost you a grand basically.

Thanks for reaffirming my point.

His hardware cost him a grand because he bought his PC prebuilt. He states if he had built it himself (The better option) it would have cost him considerably less. It looked and played better than a 360 of the time, served more of a purpose (Not just a machine for gaming and only that) and had a considerably larger daily strain placed upon it. He also didn't have to upgrade his model of PC like most people do with their 360s or PS3s, all he did was replace the GPU and it was like a whole new machine all over again.

I think it's also important to consider ShadowHearth states he did this 5 years ago. Do you know how much a 360 or PS3 cost 5 years ago? It cost me €500 to get a 20GB non-HDMI model Xbox 360 with 4 games 5 years ago at retail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I should point at this juncture that not a single person on this thread has claimed they're exclusively a console gamer, which goes to show the futility of what this whole 'debate' has become, and what it shall always become until the end of the Internet as we know it.

And I still don't see anyone who has claimed there shouldn't be a PC port of Dark Souls :p

His hardware cost him a grand because he bought his PC prebuilt. He states if he had built it himself (The better option) it would have cost him considerably less. It looked and played better than a 360 of the time, served more of a purpose (Not just a machine for gaming and only that) and had a considerably larger daily strain placed upon it. He also didn't have to upgrade his model of PC like most people do with their 360s or PS3s, all he did was replace the GPU and it was like a whole new machine all over again.

I think it's also important to consider ShadowHearth states he did this 5 years ago. Do you know how much a 360 or PS3 cost 5 years ago? It cost me €500 to get a 20GB non-HDMI model Xbox 360 with 4 games 5 years ago at retail.

???

Basically it cost him grand. Thats the bottom line.

The PS3 cost me about 250e. And I never have to worry about buying a game and it not running properly (well unless its Fallout).

And I still don't see anyone who has claimed there shouldn't be a PC port of Dark Souls :p

It shouldn't because I want it all for myself - no sharing!

Muahahaah.

???

The PS3 cost me about 250e. And I never have to worry about buying a game and it not running properly (well unless its Fallout).

It cost him a grand because he bought from Dell. That doesn't mean it's "basically a grand" for anyone to get into PC gaming like you're insinuating.

It cost him a grand because he bought from Dell. That doesn't mean it's "basically a grand" for anyone to get into PC gaming like you're insinuating.

I am stating PC gaming is more expensive due to more regular hardware improvements.

Not insinuating. His post backed up this.

I am stating PC gaming is more expensive due to more regular hardware improvements.

Not insinuating. His post backed up this.

I don't think anybody in the thread tried to say getting a decent gaming PC was less expensive than a console. What more regular hardware improvements are you referring to?

I don't think anybody in the thread tried to say getting a decent gaming PC was less expensive than a console.

Good so. What point were you trying to make then?

Good so. What point were you trying to make then?

I made a myriad of points on the previous page which have gone unaddressed, much like the question I asked you in my previous post.

• Advertisement

I made a myriad of points on the previous page which have gone unaddressed, much like the question I asked you in my previous post.

You seemed to specifically address me for some reason or another which doesn't seem to make much sense now if you agree that PC gaming is more expensive as was my OP.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Entry fee for a decent gaming rig is higher than any console but its not as high as €1,000, its more like €600-800 with the option of spending far more if you want. But I think most see that price segment as the sweet spot in terms of price/performance. The high entry fee is offset somewhat by cheaper games and free online play when compared to the Xbox 360 but largely by the fact the PC is a much more versatile platform outside of gaming.

For sure there is alot of new PC hardware out there, but its totally optional.
    If you plan out and balance your PC right it can easily last the length of a console generation.

This is particularly true with this generation of consoles. Since the PC platform on its own can no longer justify big budget exclusive AAA games outside of the MMO genre, most AAA games are coming over from consoles, which normally have only minor cosmetic upgrades when they arrive on PC (with a few exceptions such as BF3) and thus run quite easily on relatively old PC hardware. (again a few exceptions thanks to poorly optimized ports).

You seemed to specifically address me for some reason or another which doesn't seem to make much sense now if you agree that PC gaming is more expensive as was my OP.

I didn't specifically address you with the large post I made on the last page, but you did ask me what point I was trying to make. I directed you to said point but you're ignoring it. Your reasoning doesn't really go beyond "If it costs less it's better" since you ignored the points that ShadowHearth made in his posts previously also.

???

oh man.... thats what i am talking about some console fanboys ignorance, they refuse to listen the facts and understand.

thats why its "peasants".

i played 5 years with that hardware with no upgrades, i bought 170eu card and it can easily push another 2-3 years with better graphics then xbox or ps3, and after 2-3 years i will have to put it down to medium settings which will be still higher then xbox now.

ignorance, thats why console fanboys are such a joke in pc gamers eyes. ( i am not refering to all console gamers, but to that part that makes everyone look bad... Pc gamers have theyr own clowns too )

plus i bet you dont even have a clue about pc hardware considering your posts above.

I have a laptop, which i use for college, I could hardly go carrying around a desktop pc now could i?

A controller and cable comes with consoles.

Chances are you already own a tv, Check the average consumers house.

Games cost €40-50, Lets assume thats a €10 saving per game versus pc, The average consumer would need to buy 75 games in order to cover the additional cost. Chance of them having than many? Pretty low.

Im not backing consoles, Im not trying to start a fanboy war, Im just stating facts. The reason pc gaming is made out to be expensive is because in the eyes of the average consumer it is expensive!:D

you can connect pc to TV too. its not a problem these days. so argument of having TV already is just useless m8.

oh man.... thats what i am talking about some console fanboys ignorance, they refuse to listen the facts and understand.

You also need to stop calling everyone who politely disagrees with you fanboys or peasants. Will probably help your argument somewhat as silly name-calling gets no-one anywhere :)

i played 5 years with that hardware with no upgrades, i bought 170eu card and it can easily push another 2-3 years with better graphics then xbox or ps3, and after 2-3 years i will have to put it down to medium settings which will be still higher then xbox now.

ignorance, thats why console fanboys are such a joke in pc gamers eyes. ( i am not refering to all console gamers, but to that part that makes everyone look bad... Pc gamers have theyr own clowns too )

plus i bet you dont even have a clue about pc hardware considering your posts above.

Ahahaha.

CRY MOAR.

I bet your 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Who started this PC vs console debate on this thread anyway? :D:rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

noodler wrote:
    Ahahaha.

CRY MOAR.

I bet your 12.

Thats not helping either.

• Advertisement

You also need to stop calling everyone who politely disagrees with you fanboys or peasants. Will probably help your argument somewhat as silly name-calling gets no-one anywhere :)

I agree, I'm keeping it as civil as possible.
    Ahahaha.

CRY MOAR.

I bet your 12.

I can tell why you never addressed any of the points I made from this post alone.

Advertisement