Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike, and first road bike..

Options
  • 07-01-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I've decided to join the ranks of the roadies, after a few years in the baggie-pants brigade. I've been cross-country mountain biking for the past 4 years, about 4-500 miles a year on mtb, and my current mtb is a Giant Reign X1.

Through the bike-to-work scheme, I've picked up a nice Trek Madone 4.5 from the LBS.
    Specs:
    • 54cm 2011 Madone 4.5 carbon frame, black/red colour.
    • Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels in good condition.
    • 105 shifters.
    • 105 compact chainset.
    • 105 front brake, tiagra rear brake.
    • Bontrager Node2 cyclecomputer.
    • MTB spd/platform pedals (heresy I know but those are the shoes I have).
    • Vittoria rubino pro 700x20 blue/black tyres
    • Front and rear lightweight but powerful lights - fully legal now.
    • Crudguard roadguards. Tried them yesterday and they are fantastic. I dont really mind if they are not considered kosher to have on a frame like this one - they really work.

I weigh ~93kg so I'm far from being a weight weenie, but built like a sprinter instead of a climber, and carrying maybe a stone of fat too much. I won't get a lot of time between now and the summer to go and get miles on the bike as I'm doing a full-time Masters and also a full-time job so I hae very little free time.
    I have a target though. A mate of mine is getting married in France in June, and myself and another mate are going to go over with his wife as a support car driver (:D) and we'll get about 4 full days of cycling done in northwest France in the summertime, before the wedding ceremony. So I'll have to get comfortable on the bike and fit enough for 4-500 miles in the saddle in a week.. To paraphrase a tall fat annoying man from a car TV show -"How hard can it be?"

First impressions of the bike yesterday for a 20 minute spin were that it is fast - really fast and more comfortable than I expected it to be, and that it grips a bit better in the rain than I was expecting. Today I'll take it for an hour of a spin before I cycle to work ;) and absolve my conscience about getting this on the bike to work scheme. I find that compared to the cycling position on the mtb, I'm putting a lot more weight on my hands, and that the ride is a lot more lively and stiff but not harsh. What do I really expect coming from a 170mm full suspension to a road bike ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Popoutman wrote: »
    Through the bike-to-work scheme, I've picked up a Trek Madone 4.5 from the LBS.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

you need to pop up a pic in the images of beauty thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'll put a pic up tomorrow when it's light outside. God I'm unfit! Took it out today for a 30km cycle from Castletroy out to O'Brien's Bridge, and back through UL via Clonlara, heart rate at 175-185 for the 75 mins it took to do the 30 k. Feel good now, just tired and facing into a night of work. I've actually cycled it into work this evening, but I'll cycle home for dinner and drive back in for the rest of the night's work - I'm not going to cycle home at ~2am on a bike.

Irish road surfaces are really crap for cycling on I think - chips and tar gives an unbelievable vibration through everything, but the smoother surfaces are good. Maybe that's a function of my weight and 115 psi in x20 tyres.

Pics tomorrow I hope.

LBS is a very nice place ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You weren't supposed to say that OP! RT66's sarcasm chip needs a bit of a tune-up I think. Good luck with the training, you may need to evade some vans from the revenue in the coming weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

yeah, it's hard to get the sarcasm when I'm tired ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement