Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third party absence certification

Options
  • 07-01-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Is there any process for mature students whereby I can certify an absence using a medical cert for my wife or child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

gunterwest wrote: »
    Is there any process for mature students whereby I can certify an absence using a medical cert for my wife or child?

No sure what you mean OP. Is it to do with you being absent from a course because of caring duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gunterwest

paperclip2 wrote: »
    No sure what you mean OP. Is it to do with you being absent from a course because of caring duties?

I'm basically asking, if my wife is ill (minor illness e.g. Flu and gets it medically certified) which results in me taking 3 or 4 days of college to look after kids, can I use her cert, to certify my absence? Similarly, my child (aged 6) may need to be hospitalised over the next couple of weeks for a minor surgical procedure, can I get her hospital admittance certified and use that cert to certify my absence as my wife doesn't drive and the hospital is 30 miles away.

I'm basically asking, if my wife is ill (minor illness e.g. Flu and gets it medically certified) which results in me taking 3 or 4 days of college to look after kids, can I use her cert, to certify my absence? Similarly, my child (aged 6) may need to be hospitalised over the next couple of weeks for a minor surgical procedure, can I get her hospital admittance certified and use that cert to certify my absence as my wife doesn't drive and the hospital is 30 miles away.

To be honest it depends on the college or education provider that you are with. If you speak to the admissions office or course director they can let you know what their policy is. To my knowledge, and I'm open to correction on this, there aren't any statutory or national guidelines on this, it really depends on the education provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gunterwest

paperclip2 wrote: »
    , there aren't any statutory or national guidelines on this, it really depends on the education provider.

Thanks for the replies.....Are their statutory or national guidelines on medically certified absences for standard students?

Thanks for the replies.....Are their statutory or national guidelines on medically certified absences for standard students?

Its unlikely that there would be to be honest. Usually colleges can decide that for themselves and its not often that a typical 17-22 year old college student would have the same caring responsibilities as a mature students.
    Absences through their own ill-health would usually be covered through a medical cert but the the best thing to do in your case is discuss it with a student advisor or the admissions dept.

• Advertisement
Advertisement