Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4 screen repair

Options
  • 07-01-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can get a screen replaced for an iPhone 4 in the city or around it?
    Got a quote for 110e which they say is with genuine apple parts, anywhere else that would be cheaper even if they are not genuine parts?
    Also is there much of a difference between genuine and non genuine apple screens?

Thanks in advance

110e seems a bit steep

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Where did you get the quote from ?
    theres a few small asian shops around paul street that repair iPhones , you might try there.

TBH if 110 included the parts then I'd probably pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

The phone repair shop on Tramore Road??

Phonefix,,I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The screen cost alone for genuine parts is about 70 euro. The dismantling involved in replacing the screen is quite lengthly - have look on ifixit if you don't believe me. About 100 Euro-120 is very fair for the work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Got the quote from i-electron on Cook Street, yep 110 includes parts and labour, tried one of those asian shops, got a quote of 100e which isn't bad.

Owen wrote: »
    The screen cost alone for genuine parts is about 70 euro. The dismantling involved in replacing the screen is quite lengthly - have look on ifixit if you don't believe me. About 100 Euro-120 is very fair for the work involved.

Looked it up and it does look pretty finicky alright, that being said it only takes approx. an hour and a half, 40euro is a lot for that!

If somewhere can do it for below one hundred i'd be happy!:)

• Advertisement

Below 100, and even if they tell you you're getting a geniune screen, you won't be. I had a place chance that with me, the screen was marginally thicker than the old one, and if you tilted the phone to one side, the backlight was bleeding around the edges. To touch the screen felt completely different too - no oleophobic coating I'd suspect. I have an original on mine now, but there's a lot of shysters out there offering original parts and not fitting them.

You get what you pay for. For the sake of 20 euro between a cheap quote, and a quote from a reputable phone shop, I'd pay the extra few quid for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

BillJ wrote: »
    an hour and a half, 40euro is a lot for that!

Someone semi skilled to work on something for 1.5 hours, + overheads + profit+ + tooling costs etc seems fairly cheap.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The price seems fair enough to me too.

Myabe try fonemenders on patricks quay - they are a Nokia service centre but do all types of phones
    http://www.fonemenders.ie/mobile-phone-repairs-ireland.php

They are a very professional crew and I've got a few phones fixed there, always 100%

I reckon for the peace of mind you're right about paying an extra few quid, didn't think there would be so much of a difference between genuine and non genuine parts. Is there anyway I can know I'm getting a proper Apple screen beforehand?

Thanks mik_da_man I'll call in there and get a quote too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

anyone ever try these for screens to they use original screens?
    http://www.irepair.ie/iPhone_4_Digitizer_LCD_Broken_Screen_Repair

• Advertisement

Finally got the screen done, got my 4G and my sisters 3gs repaired for €120, would normally have been €140 but I got a discount as I brought the two in together.

No complaints so far, looks perfect to me and usability seems just like normal :)

Edit: got it done on the Grand Parade, €100 for iPhone 4 and €40 for 3gs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

This is a new place in Ballincollig shopping centre, prices online. Was thinking of getting my speaker (mic) repaired but theres no price for that fix on their website. Might not even be possible.

EDIT: its already mentioned above: http://www.irepairs.ie/prices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Best price & service will be at the GSM CENTER on the quay across from dunnes stores merchant quay...2 polish guys with attitiude but they always fix fast and at the right price... all the other places are a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I'd go back to my Nokia 3210 before paying €110 - 120 for a screen replacement, bought one off ebay for my partner and replaced it myself, by the looks of it I saved around €85.

Comparing her iPhone 4 to mine now, no differences in the screen what so ever.

If places are charging that much I might start doing it for less if i have spare time, if people are being shafted then why not. Then again if you want to buy genuine apple your gonna pay for it big time, but as i said above, I have 2 phones here with 1 genuine screen and 1 not, no differences.

Not in my experience - the third party screens are slightly thicker to the tune of about half a millimetre, the backlight bleeds if you look at it from the side where the original doesn't, and the screen feels different under your fingers due to the oleophobic coating not being anywhere near as good.

FFS people need to get it into their heads, 120 isn't expensive to have a screen which costs quite a lot on its own to be exchanged without labour, and if you look on iFixit, it's quite a job to disassemble and rebuild an iPhone 4 and make sure the signal for both the phone and Wifi are working properly afterwards (Which is something iFixit warn about specifically). The amount of iPhone 4's I've seen getting 2 bars of Wifi a foot from the router is amazing, and when they go 10 feet away they've nothing.

It's a 6-700 euro phone unsubsidised by a network, 120 to have a screen - one of the major components of the phone - replaced is a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Completely understand what your saying, problem is not everyone has 120 quid to pay for a new screen so if they could get it done for 60 then they would.

The screen i purchased off eBay for my partners phone, it was same size and thickness etc. as the genuine one that came out, took me about 45 mins to do and no issues with it since, tested the usual things once back together and all worked fine.

I suppose at the end of the day, people will pay what there willing to pay.

Advertisement