Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with CCTV system

Options
  • 07-01-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some info on a home camera system.

I have RG59 and power ran to 2 points outside the house.

What I want to do is:

- Install a dome camera at each point. One point with a sensor.
    - Hook cameras up to a pc ideally so I can watch them from work.
    - Want both cameras to record only when sensor triggered.
    - Want to be able to activate cameras from pc whenever I want.
    - Also if possible be able to move the dome cameras from pc.
    - Install a camera in cow shed and link with this system.(will be separte run of RG6). No need for this camera to record, can be always on type.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as regards what type of cameras/hardware/software i would need to achieve this.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

ricfeen wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for some info on a home camera system.

I have RG59 and power ran to 2 points outside the house.

What I want to do is:

- Install a dome camera at each point. One point with a sensor.
    - Hook cameras up to a pc ideally so I can watch them from work.
    - Want both cameras to record only when sensor triggered.
    - Want to be able to activate cameras from pc whenever I want.
    - Also if possible be able to move the dome cameras from pc.
    - Install a camera in cow shed and link with this system.(will be separte run of RG6). No need for this camera to record, can be always on type.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as regards what type of cameras/hardware/software i would need to achieve this.

Cheers.

A DVR would be the better option. It can be remotely accessed from any PC. The system can be set up to record when motion is detected. To have a moving dome you would be looking at installing a PTZ on the system rather than a fixed dome.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Tahnks Altor for the quick reply.

Would I need to install a sensor beside the camera or would the DVR automatically do this for me?

Have you any examples of products dvr/cameras that wouls suit me?

Cheers in advance.

Tahnks Altor for the quick reply.

Would I need to install a sensor beside the camera or would the DVR automatically do this for me?

Have you any examples of products dvr/cameras that wouls suit me?

Cheers in advance.

No the DVR will do this automatically, if they are outside you will still get plenty of recording with environmental changes.

You would really need to know camera locations, what your looking to achieve plus what light is in the area to recommend cameras to use.

Your best bet would be to get a few different installers to have a look and give you a quote and the type of camera they would recommend to have installed.

DVR system prices can also vary depending on what you have as a budget.
    My preference would be this unit as they are a very good unit. It is expensive and there are cheaper systems with less features.

Always try get a demo of the unit to look at playback on the system, this is very important as it may be relied upon if looking back over the system for an event.

Is there a yearly subscription or anything for the remote access or would it have its own ip address or something?

I just want to see who is around the house during the day and be able to check the camera's at any time during the day.

With this system could i have 2 cameras say on a sensor and another constantly on?

Ho much roughly are those dvr boxes and standard PTZ's? Just want to get an idea of how much. Would be looking to install myself if not too complicated.

Is there a yearly subscription or anything for the remote access or would it have its own ip address or something?

I just want to see who is around the house during the day and be able to check the camera's at any time during the day.

With this system could i have 2 cameras say on a sensor and another constantly on?

Ho much roughly are those dvr boxes and standard PTZ's? Just want to get an idea of how much. Would be looking to install myself if not too complicated.

No yearly subscription. You could set up a DNS which will save having to get a fixed ip address.

Yes that is possible as each camera has there own settings.

The DVR I linked to cost about €600 from the suppliers, you can get cheaper systems. I would also add extra hard drives to this system. A PTZ can cost anything from €650 up.

• Advertisement

That seems pretty expensive for the PTZ.

Will look into cheaper systems at my local sparky store.

Thanks for the advice anyways.

That seems pretty expensive for the PTZ.

Will look into cheaper systems at my local sparky store.

Thanks for the advice anyways.

Your welcome, yes, a PTZ is expensive but in terms of control when you connect to your system it has more functions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jfw

hi guys
    im looking for some advice about my cctv system. already in my workshop i have analog cameras with a 8 ch dvr but am looking at upgrading the system. i see these hybird dvrs can use my existing cameras and i can alos add some ip cameras which give better picture. i have a good idea as far as the analog side but the ip cameras i need a little help. the ip cameras connects to the router so how does the hybrid record these channels. also i only have 4 ports on the router so how do i connect 4 ip cameras to this?
    any help would be great

Advertisement