Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

itunes / apple tv conundrum

• 07-01-2012 2:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

A little help here please.
    Santy brought me apple tv for Christmas and i have it working perfectly but i have one related issue.
    I have an external hard drive laden with a few hundred movies which i want to watch via Apple TV but i dont want to clog up my imacs hard drive by dumping them all into itunes. How do i make these accesable to itunes whilst keeping them solely on the external drive?
    I would have thought this would be simple but it has me stumped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lovephones

A little help here please.
    Santy brought me apple tv for Christmas and i have it working perfectly but i have one related issue.
    I have an external hard drive laden with a few hundred movies which i want to watch via Apple TV but i dont want to clog up my imacs hard drive by dumping them all into itunes. How do i make these accesable to itunes whilst keeping them solely on the external drive?
    I would have thought this would be simple but it has me stumped.

Youll need to jailbreak the apple tv to do this and install xbmc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Lovephones wrote: »

Im not sure I do. What im trying to do is at the imac end of the link. is it possible to 'reference' the external hard drive data via itunes rather than actually importing it into the library on the mac drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Lovephones wrote: »

Im not sure I do. What im trying to do is at the imac end of the link. is it possible to 'reference' the external hard drive data via itunes rather than actually importing it into the library on the mac drive?

Can you not just set up an iTunes with in the external hard drive put all the movies there then stream from the iTunes in hdd via the iMac to apple tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Press alt and click iTunes which gives you a window which allows you to select a new iTunes library and off you go !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Greglo is spot on. Add the external drive as an iTunes library and presuming they are mp4s then you can see them from iTunes and from apple tv.

• Advertisement
Advertisement