Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Public IP addresses with UPC

• 07-01-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello everyone. Does anyone know what is the process of getting multiple PUBLIC IP addresses from UPC? I'm on residential line so to speak. Do I need to call them ad request that service or is it pure technical? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I dont think you can do. Residential packages have dynamic IP addresses although they dont change very often.

To get static IP addresses you would need to switch to a business package where you probably can then request extra IP addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You can get 2 public ip address with UPC
    When i was on the 20mb package using the Scientific Atlanta cable modem i plugged a switch into it and 2 of the devices on the switch got public ips...Interestingly from 2 completely different subnets.

I had 6 devices plugged into the switch but only 2 could get addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

When i was on the 20mb package using the Scientific Atlanta cable modem i plugged a switch into it and 2 of the devices on the switch got public ips...Interestingly from 2 completely different subnets.

But they would have been dynamic IP addresses. I would hazard a guess that the OP is looking for Static IP addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

If you get a modem only install and use a switch directly connected to that, you will get up to 2 public IP's from whatever devices you plug into the switch, but I really wouldn't advise doing that unless you really know what toy are doing as any traffic moving between those connected devices will be totally open to the net, not to mention the devices themselves being open to direct attack from online threats.

My advice would be to spend some time learning how to utilise NAT properly to do whatever it is you are looking to accomplish as learning how to secure a totally open network is going to be a lot harder (i.e. Next to impossible).

And yes, UPC IP addresses are dynamic, but the lease is very long and if you have machines which do not get turned off they will usually keep the same IP for Weeks or even months, unlike DSL connections.

But like I said, don't do it, there is very little you can do with a static IP that you can't do with a dynamic one, NAT and a dyndns account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

vibe666 wrote: »
    But like I said, don't do it, there is very little you can do with a static IP that you can't do with a dynamic one, NAT and a dyndns account.

I second that...

Multiple public IPs sounds retarded to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Tirtytree

Thank you for the replies Gentlemen.

So in the example above I guess you have used the EPC2425 or what ever in GATEWAY mode? Which is now, as far as I know, disable on those devices. Is that correct? Thank you.

Besides - when you would get those two different IP addresses would they be consequtive or would they be much different?

P.S: yes I'm aware of the danger of direct connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Tirtytree wrote: »

Besides - when you would get those two different IP addresses would they be consequtive or would they be much different?

The IPs will come from the DHCP pool so could be anything.

What do you think you will gain by having multiple IPs anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tirtytree

I just need it for an application which requires 2 public IP addresses. And they should be one after another. Pity the gateway mode does not work anymore on the EPC2425 else I would have tried it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Tirtytree wrote: »
    I just need it for an application which requires 2 public IP addresses. And they should be one after another. Pity the gateway mode does not work anymore on the EPC2425 else I would have tried it :(

What exactly is the application? I'm sure there would be a workaround, seeing as most residential connections wouldn't have more than one IP.

BTW, UPC's dynamic IP's are pretty sticky... They've only changed a handful of times for me over the past few years, and that was only when I moved house. :P I even left my modem off for 3 days over Xmas, as I was away, and I still have the same IP. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

roast wrote: »
    What exactly is the application? I'm sure there would be a workaround, seeing as most residential connections wouldn't have more than one IP.

BTW, UPC's dynamic IP's are pretty sticky... They've only changed a handful of times for me over the past few years, and that was only when I moved house. :P I even left my modem off for 3 days over Xmas, as I was away, and I still have the same IP. :)

I turned mine off for over 2 weeks when on summer holidays, got the same one back when I rebooted the modem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement