Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else do the institute revision?

• 07-01-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

And find it not particularly amazing? I did the chemistry ones and to be perfectly honest, they didn't finish the stuff they said they'd do and the notes were no better than the ones I've made myself or got off my teacher. Most of it was just stuff printed off examinations.ie. I'm just wondering if I was the only one to think that or if they really are just madly overhyped.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Well I did Irish, English, Maths and Physics..

I found Irish really good! Bit let down though we didnt do any oral work apart from 10 sraith pictuiri but overall was very good :)

English.. It was grand like nothing amazing though.. The notes were a bit excessive though, I mean like 85 pages on hamlet is too much!

Maths, eh it was good revision for me but since I'm quite good at it I didn't find it much help tbh, nevertheless saved me the bother of studying maths over christmas.

But what I was so so impressed with was Physics!! I found it really really good, Pat Doyle is a phenomenal teacher and his jokes are hilarious! I also got double the notes as he always left his notes for the other class in a box at the top desk and I just took them before class :P

Yea so all in all I personally was very happy with the course. :D Everyone was so nice to talk to there aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yeahhhbuddy

One of my friends did it and thought it was quite good!
    How accurate do ye think their like predictions are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I did Economics and to be honest I found it amazing! We got loaddds of notes which are really all good, but it truly seemed to depend on the Subject you did up there..

Did anyone here do French or English?. Thinking of doing them at Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Anybody think French or Biology was good? Gonna do them at Easter. How much is each subject actually, can't find it online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

I did French, Irish, English and Chemistry 1, thought it was very good overall, especially Irish, but a bit expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

K_1 wrote: »
    I did French, Irish, English and Chemistry 1, thought it was very good overall, especially Irish, but a bit expensive.
    How did you find French?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

How did you find French?

It was very focused on grammar, with almost nothing on vocab for the oral, but they do that because they try to sell you the oral revision course in February separately.
    Also info about the written questions and comprehensions, and the way they are marked was very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

How are these revision courses fair?

It gives the more well-off classes of society an unfair advantage again. Well I suppose you have to learn the notes off first, that's one thing you can't pay anybody to do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ah Here!

Well I did Applied Maths, Maths A and Chemistry B, and I was fairly happy with them. The Applied Maths was pretty good and they gave us the notes for all of the questions. I thought the Maths was good too although it wasn't particularly enlightening just good revision which I suppose is what its supposed to be :p. I actually found the Chemistry really good! I guess that's because the teaching standard I'm used to is fairly low:rolleyes: All of the teachers there seem to love making their little jokes anyway :p
    silversky wrote: »
    How are these revision courses fair?

It gives the more well-off classes of society an unfair advantage again. Well I suppose you have to learn the notes off first, that's one thing you can't pay anybody to do for you.

Well I mean they're not really supposed to be fair are they? It's not run by the department or anything. This school is a business and is looking to make profits like any other.

Ah Here! wrote: »

Well I mean they're not really supposed to be fair are they? It's not run by the department or anything. This school is a business and is looking to make profits like any other.

Stating the obvious there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Stating the obvious there.

And you were'nt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

At the end of the day we're all given the means to study the courses - teachers and books. If some subject isnt working for you, switch to a new one. There is no point complaining over "unfair" revision courses tbh. It's like saying grinds are unfair...

Yeah and I think grinds are unfair too. You should only get them if the teacher recommends them and if you're actually struggling with the subject. The only people I see getting grinds theses days are the lazy students in the class who didn't do a tap in fifth year. Others who need them, can't afford them.

But I suppose you get used to after awhile. Anyway they won't have grinds in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

HEAR schemes are aimed to help people who might not have had these opportunities but obviously the system isn't perfect. It won't be changing anytime soon so it's best to deal with it.

Yeah and I think grinds are unfair too. You should only get them if the teacher recommends them and if you're actually struggling with the subject. The only people I see getting grinds theses days are the lazy students in the class who didn't do a tap in fifth year. Others who need them, can't afford them.

But I suppose you get used to after awhile. Anyway they won't have grinds in college.

Spoiler alert!
    Life isn't fair

Even if students who do no work get grinds it doesn't mean they'll do well. At the end of the day whoever puts in the effort will reap the rewards.

Spoiler alert!
    Life isn't fair

Even if students who do no work get grinds it doesn't mean they'll do well. At the end of the day whoever puts in the effort will reap the rewards.

Are you trying to patronise me? I know that too well.

I only brought up the issue because it's something I feel strongly about. It nearly seems everyone these days are doing revision courses. Even though I dunno how ye're affording it since we're in recession. A book and hard work can do very much the same work.

As the saying goes: Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

Are you trying to patronise me? I know that too well.

I only brought up the issue because it's something I feel strongly about. It nearly seems everyone these days are doing revision courses. Even though I dunno how ye're affording it since we're in recession. A book and hard work can do very much the same work.

As the saying goes: Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that. :)

Now i could be wrong but i dont think were in a recession any more!! Actually i could be wrong but i think we came out of a recession awhile back!!

If people want to spend there money on grinds and revision couses let them! There still going to have to learn the stuff in the end! You could have the leaving cert 2012 papers in front of you now but if you didnt learn the stuff thats on them your not going to do well!

So at the end of it all, no matter how many resources you have you still have to learn the stuff!

checkcheek wrote: »
    Now i could be wrong but i dont think were in a recession any more!! Actually i could be wrong but i think we came out of a recession awhile back!!

If people want to spend there money on grinds and revision couses let them! There still going to have to learn the stuff in the end! You could have the leaving cert 2012 papers in front of you now but if you didnt learn the stuff thats on them your not going to do well!

So at the end of it all, no matter how many resources you have you still have to learn the stuff!

If you check back at my first post you'll find I said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

If you check back at my first post you'll find I said that.

well then why are you even complaining?

if people wanna spend there money however they want (once its legal) then let them and if it gives them an advantage well thats life!! As others have said, lifes not always fair

checkcheek wrote: »
    well then why are you even complaining?

if people wanna spend there money however they want (once its legal) then let them

I was stating an opinion, I think you'll find. Last time I checked it's legal to do that.

• Advertisement

thats all anyone's been doing, there's need to be so snappy with people...

Patchy~ wrote: »
    thats all anyone's been doing, there's need to be so snappy with people...

I agree

someone had a nice bowl of bitchflakes this morning :rolleyes:

I think I might do the history and geography courses, did anyone do those? The website doesnt have much about them and my geography teacher did the economic elective and we'll be doing the ocean-atmosphere option so I'd want to be sure that I wouldnt be wasting my time :/

If thats okay with everyone of course... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

i completely agree!! you see people going doing these courses and getting a load of grinds when in actuall fact they do nothing in school, and your there struggling and trying to get by but just because you cant afford all the extras you dont get the same results, its a really unfair system. thank god they are changing it! shame its come a bit late though..

someone had a nice bowl of bitchflakes this morning :rolleyes:

I think I might do the history and geography courses, did anyone do those? The website doesnt have much about them and my geography teacher did the economic elective and we'll be doing the ocean-atmosphere option so I'd want to be sure that I wouldnt be wasting my time :/

If thats okay with everyone of course... :D

Hawhaw, very funny. Did you pay for someone to write that for you or are you just naturally gifted?

lainey108 wrote: »
    i completely agree!! you see people going doing these courses and getting a load of grinds when in actuall fact they do nothing in school, and your there struggling and trying to get by but just because you cant afford all the extras you dont get the same results, its a really unfair system. thank god they are changing it! shame its come a bit late though..

Thank the lord above!!!! I'm not the only one!

I went to a little revision course on how to be hilarious, hope thats okay with you, being naturally unfunny and all that :D

Anyway, this is totally off topic so I'll stop now :pac:

I went to a little revision course on how to be hilarious, hope thats okay with you, being naturally unfunny and all that :D

Anyway, this is totally off topic so I'll stop now :pac:

Yeah someone could break their jaw from laughing:)

lainey108 wrote: »

What's going to change in all fairness? There's still going to be tests and people are still going to get grinds and go to revision courses. There will never be a perfect system unfortunately but they could start by improving the standard of teaching. I get English and Irish grinds because I have awful teachers and we do nothing in school. I know I'm lucky to be able to afford it but I don't think what I'm doing is unfair it is the fact that unless I pay someone to actually teach me properly I won't do well in the LC is whats unfair.

• Advertisement

What's going to change in all fairness? There's still going to be tests and people are still going to get grinds and go to revision courses. There will never be a perfect system unfortunately but they could start by improving the standard of teaching. I get English and Irish grinds because I have awful teachers and we do nothing in school. I know I'm lucky to be able to afford it but I don't think what I'm doing is unfair it is the fact that unless I pay someone to actually teach me properly I won't do well in the LC is whats unfair.

One thing they should do is hunt those teachers out of the system through some kind of process. For example not informing the school when inspectors are visiting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement