Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else do the institute revision?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

lainey108 wrote: »
    i completely agree!! you see people going doing these courses and getting a load of grinds when in actuall fact they do nothing in school, and your there struggling and trying to get by but just because you cant afford all the extras you dont get the same results, its a really unfair system. thank god they are changing it! shame its come a bit late though..
    Your doing nothing but grouping different types of people together and making prejudiced assumptions about peoples work ethics. I did go to the Institute Revision Course and I get grinds in French and I still "work" in school. I do a solid 4 hours study every night and work extremely hard both in and outside of class. Just because someone went to something you didn't doesn't mean it's an "unfair system". The money came out of our pockets, not yours.

Seriously, a bad attitude is the one thing that will hold people back, not if they didn't get the opportunity to attend Revision courses and Grinds.

silversky wrote: »
    One thing they should do is hunt those teachers out of the system through some kind of process. For example not informing the school when inspectors are visiting.
    What kind of process do you suggest for this?. The education system in Secondary Schools isn't that good but seriously i'd actually like to know what type of methods you would suggest for solving the issues in circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

Ah Here! wrote: »
    What's going to change in all fairness? There's still going to be tests and people are still going to get grinds and go to revision courses. There will never be a perfect system unfortunately but they could start by improving the standard of teaching. I get English and Irish grinds because I have awful teachers and we do nothing in school. I know I'm lucky to be able to afford it but I don't think what I'm doing is unfair it is the fact that unless I pay someone to actually teach me properly I won't do well in the LC is whats unfair.

ya i know people will still get them, but at the moment as you say you need to get them because of teachers or whatever, but thats not an option for a lot of people so its unfair in the sense that because you can afford to get grinds (and theres nothing wrong with that) and others in the class that cant afford it wont do as good as you.
    see where i'm coming from? :)

Your doing nothing but grouping different types of people together and making prejudiced assumptions about peoples work ethics. I did go to the Institute Revision Course and I get grinds in French and I still "work" in school. I do a solid 4 hours study every night and work extremely hard both in and outside of class. Just because someone went to something you didn't doesn't mean it's an "unfair system". The money came out of our pockets, not yours.

Seriously, a bad attitude is the one thing that will hold people back, not if they didn't get the opportunity to attend Revision courses and Grinds.

ah excuse me! im not being "predujiced" and im not talking about you like fair play if you "work hard" good for you. but im talking about the ones that do nothing and yet manage to get good marks because daddy can afford it and others cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

What kind of process do you suggest for this?. The education system in Secondary Schools isn't that good but seriously i'd actually like to know what type of methods you would suggest for solving the issues in circulation.

I'm not being bitchy in this comment, but can you read? Exactly what I said in the comment you quoted. Have the inspectors come to the school without the teachers knowing. It'll catch them off guard and you'll see the real teaching methods they use.

Inspectors visited my school last year, all the teacher's knew so they all started using power point, giving us typed notes which they never had used before etc.

As for grinds and revision courses, they wouldn't be in such high demand if we all had a teacher of a good standard.

• Advertisement

I am leaving this thread, it has turned into one of those Them VS. Us threads. You want to score high marks in your exams, go study. Don't come on here complaining about other people and their parents choices to spend their hard earned income on their children's education.

At the end of the day I don't really care.

I am leaving this thread, it has turned into one of those Them VS. Us threads. You want to score high marks in your exams, go study. Don't come on here complaining about other people and their parents choices to spend their hard earned income on their children's education.

At the end of the day I don't really care.

FOR THE LAST TIME IT'S CALLED AN OPINION!

Sorry I shall leave it down now too. I didn't expect so much upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

silversky wrote: »
    Anyway they won't have grinds in college.

... we do have grinds in college. You can get undergrad grinds, masters grinds...

Grinds/revision courses are good if you need them, but they do come with a hefty price tag. And not everyone needs to do them/can afford them (didn't do a single grind/revision course, because of the cost and I had my own semi-decent notes, and got my 1st choice :D )

bscm wrote: »
    ... we do have grinds in college. You can get undergrad grinds, masters grinds...

Grinds/revision courses are good if you need them, but they do come with a hefty price tag. And not everyone needs to do them/can afford them (didn't do a single grind/revision course, because of the cost and I had my own semi-decent notes, and got my 1st choice :D )

Oh I didn't know that, just assumed!

Well done on that, there's hope for everyone so:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Being able to afford grinds doesn't mean you're going to do better, you still have to learn things and thats the system we have. This whole arguments is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Being able to afford grinds doesn't mean you're going to do better, you still have to learn things and thats the system we have. This whole arguments is ridiculous.[/QUOT

how has a discussion turned into an argument??
    only by people that want to make it an argument, i for one would like to retain it as a discussion. we are all entitled to our oppinions, and not all of us have the same one. i feel that grinds give people a better chance to do well, and that my oppinion, which im entitled to, im clearly not arguing just airing my oppinion

Please read over the last few posts before commenting. I stated that in one of my previous posts

To be honest I'm sick of arguing at this point. Listen if you can afford them, go mad buy the whole package, all seven subjects or whatever ye're doing. It's your own money.

lainey108 wrote: »
    [QUOTE

how has a discussion turned into an argument??
    only by people that want to make it an argument, i for one would like to retain it as a discussion. we are all entitled to our oppinions, and not all of us have the same one. i feel that grinds give people a better chance to do well, and that my oppinion, which im entitled to, im clearly not arguing just airing my oppinion

Having all these grinds and revision courses under their belt they still don't seem to be able to grasp what we're discussing. Funny that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Locking this train wreck.
    If one of the mods wants to go through it and try and filter anything of worth, go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement