Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Waste

Options
  • 07-01-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys.. Well considering the fair weather im gonna get a start on the garden bit by bit.. Im digging up flower beds and wondering if anyone knows 1) where can i get rid of stone bricks (a lot of them) and 2) anywhere i can get rid of a lot of soil. I would reallly need soemone to come to me though as i wouldnt have anyway of transporting this stuff myself ..Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not sure about the bricks but the soil can go into your brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

dump them out the country roads when nobodys looking :D
    the knackers have been doing it for years and getting away with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dump them out the country roads when nobodys looking :D
    the knackers have been doing it for years and getting away with it.

Fella living near me dumps all his garden waste in the trees at a walkway for years.

Does the city dump not take this stuff for free anyway, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Sully wrote: »
    Not sure about the bricks but the soil can go into your brown bin.

Don't think so.
    Can you imagine the weight of the bin.
    I'ld get clarification first!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

Send me pm with a picture of the bricks. I might be interested. They could do nicely for my planter. If it is good quality topsoil, you should get a taker for it easy enough if you posted an ad. Its a bad time of year to be handling it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 marianneh79

Im actually after filling the brown bin twice and they collected it.. Its just cause there is so much of it that it would take me a year to get rid with just the bin lol..Im not in any hurry at all im only getting a start on it and just trying to get an idea of what im gonna do with all the waste when im really to get rid of it..The bricks are fairly old but ill get a pic tomorrow when its bright again and pm them to you thomas01.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Don't think so.

The brown bin is for organic materials and goes to a composting facility so you can not put stone/ brick into this bin. Also, please be careful with the amount of soil put in at any one time as the bin lifts may not lift excessive weights an it won't be nice having to dig it out of the bin again. As Silly say's it is best to check with your service provider.

Don't think so.

Iv done it with Mr Binman a few times no problems. I always thought that garden waste was fine for the brown bin!

I was only putting the soil in the brown bin.. Am well aware i cannot put bricks or stones in it hence my original question.. I have filled the brown bin with soil numerous times as i was clearing the back garden last year and there is no problem with Mr Bin man unless some other bin services have issues with putting soil into the brown bin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I was only putting the soil in the brown bin.. Am well aware i cannot put bricks or stones in it hence my original question.. I have filled the brown bin with soil numerous times as i was clearing the back garden last year and there is no problem with Mr Bin man unless some other bin services have issues with putting soil into the brown bin..

I don't think that the other service providers would an issue with the soil but speaking generally you would be very surprised as to what people put into their bins. :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

In the next month or two people will start back gardening and there's always people looking for topsoil for raised beds etc.

If you contact the Waterford City branch of GIYIreland www.giyireland.com you can ask them to let the local members know that you've got topsoil available.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

If you pm me a picture of the bricks, I might be interested. I need to build a planter.

Thomas im so sorry it totally slipped my mind today. I will get photos first thing in morning and pm them to you. sorry again

Advertisement