Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South America

Options
  • 07-01-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi....

So I'm going traveling this summer in South America and I want to spend a good portion (maybe a month) on either the pacific or atlantic coasts taking in the surf.

Anyone have any experience of this continent at this time of year? My locations are really flexible as there is so much I want to see, so I could end up anywhere.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

The west coast gets plenty of winter swells from the antarctic and as such it absolutely pumps in places like Peru and Chile.

I've only surfed in Peru and had three trips there to date, fantastic Place :D

You should be able to surf nealy every day of your trip but I wouldn't go if you don't like the big stuff, waves were well overhead each day

457428754_efd2009a31.jpg

Shots of La Isla in Punta Hermosa, its a good place to base, you can also get overnight buses to Chicama, one of the longest waves on the Earth if the place max's out

Inca Trail is a must also, got plenty of photos of Peru on this flickr account any questions just ask:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodento/sets/72157602381760830/

I stayed with a group called http://www.peruecosurf.com/

Basically got food and board for $15 a day and a surf guide with car for an extra 15$ a day, couldn't have asked for better

Enjoy where ever you end up

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

Colombia:

There are not really any popular surf destinations in Colombia or they are hard to get to

Ecuador:
    Montanita - Beach town about 4 hours by bus from Guayaquil. Plenty of places to rent boards for about $3-$4 per hour. Lots of cheap places to stay. No wetsuit required but this might depend on the same currents that keep the Galapagos so diverse with wildlife.
    Manta - Another popular place.

Peru:
    Mancora - Most popular spot in Peru. Loki chain have opened a huge hostel here.
    Trujillo - Another popular spot

Chile: Don't know places but it has a huge coastline so there should be plenty of places.

Argentina: Mar del Plata - Irish Summer means Argentinian Winter. Will probably be quiet.

Brazil: Florianopolis - Very popular spot in Brazil. Major ASP event has been held here in many recent years.

I know a few other places in Central America (which might be better). If you need the info, let me know.

Lonely Planet guidebooks usually recommend the most popular places.

Hope that helps. South America is an awesome place.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

Thanks guys, seems like really solid advice.

I'll definitely be getting a few guidebooks and stormriders guide closer to the time.

Nice pics by the way @rodento, you seem to have every break all to yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

All I can advise is pick one place and get to know all the waves in the area, also access to a car is a kinda must so local guides are super handy to bring you to the quietest breaks:D

You'll also need a 4'3 for southern Peru and Chile

Advertisement