Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year Students Wanted!!

Options
  • 07-01-2012 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Reading a couple of the Leaving Cert threads last year, some students were nervous about going off to college on their own... So I've got a couple of questions for anyone who started first year this year, especially anyone who went to a different college to any of their friends/classmates (at home or abroad):

How did it go? Was it better/worse than expected? Any advice for Leaving Cert students considering going off to college on their own?

All replies are greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Hi, I went to college with a few people from school that i was not very close too, so essentially I was on my own!. I missed orientation week due to illness and was extremly nervous going down as I felt everyone would be a lot closer than I could be . I was a nervous wreck for the first day but people in college are the same! nervous and eager to make new friends! By the end of week 1 , I was sad to leave for home and Im like that every week now! . Now after 1 semester Im closer to 3 people than I ever was at home , and I have made a lot of girl friends too, something which I had few of at home! Overall starting alone was great in my experience, gives you a chance to have a complete fresh start and stops you from falling into old habits like in school as you will make the effort to know people ! best of luck:D:D and sure if you want to know anything else just let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Thanks! That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear, I'm actually more excited than nervous about college at this stage (finally)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Its what you make of it. You WILL make new friends, you WILL have stressful days and you WILL have to do work.

Best bit of advice I can give you is join as many clubs and socs that you can. Nothing worse than hearing friends doing all these fun activities and trips and you're not going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Keano! wrote: »
    Its what you make of it. You WILL make new friends, you WILL have stressful days and you WILL have to do work.

Best bit of advice I can give you is join as many clubs and socs that you can. Nothing worse than hearing friends doing all these fun activities and trips and you're not going.

+1 on the clubs and societies thing, I'll definitely be joining a few!

Advertisement