Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying for 2nd year IEC visa!(help/advice)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭deisedelight

Helix wrote: »
    you cant extend usit or iec visas though, you were ALWAYS going to be told to leave the country immediately

you can seek an extension while inland in canada. while you will be refused if you dont have requisite lmo documentation, it buys you time though while ur application is been processed. i pursued this avenue as my visa expired before iec window opening up. i only r eceived 6 or so weeks on it though so not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

you can seek an extension while inland in canada. while you will be refused if you dont have requisite lmo documentation, it buys you time though while ur application is been processed. i pursued this avenue as my visa expired before iec window opening up. i only r eceived 6 or so weeks on it though so not worth it

You dont need an LMO for a visitor visa. And I got 3 months on my visitor visa. I paid my IEC Fee yesterday, so hopefully hear something soon. The visitor pass is better than nothing and esp better than having to go home while you wait on your new visa. Well I think so anyway.

orgaz wrote: »
    You dont need an LMO for a visitor visa. And I got 3 months on my visitor visa. I paid my IEC Fee yesterday, so hopefully hear something soon. The visitor pass is better than nothing and esp better than having to go home while you wait on your new visa. Well I think so anyway.

No, I sought a work permit extension which allowed me to work as it granted me implied status while a decision was been made.

Either way its no good to me no more with this BS habitual residency rule. If anyone hears anything more about especially on IEC side with applications, I d appreciate it if you let us know. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

orgaz wrote: »
    Not tottaly true Helix, My USIT visa is up on Monday and Im currently waiting on my work visa to come through and im on visitor status. Applied for a visitor visa while im waiting.

visitor visa isnt an extension

its a change of visa from one to the other. you cannot extend a USIT or IEC one to a new visa that allows you to work. it says it in the terms and conditions of each of them

cant be done

you can apply, but as seen above, you'll be asked to leave the country pretty sharpish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I've been informed that I will be rejected too. So much for the advice I was given not to worry about the 18month stipulation :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

retalivity wrote: »
    I've been informed that I will be rejected too. So much for the advice I was given not to worry about the 18month stipulation :(

:( Looks like I haven't a chance either so. 21 months and counting out of Ireland and they still havent acknowledged receipt of my application for a 2nd IEC.

Which phase were you rejected at or were you told informally?

Informally. Backdoors and whatnot...

sorry to hear this retalivity. its a pretty disgusting rule.
    did the IEC inform you?

do they do any kind of research into it? i mean if you just conveniently left something out, because you had a new passport, would they be able to figure anything out?

a new passport is a good idea but there surely is a trace to your last passport. like i would doubt your passport number changes. hence its no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

Informally. Backdoors and whatnot...

Sorry to hear that! Seems like it will become a common topic of discussion in the coming weeks. :(

• Advertisement

a new passport is a good idea but there surely is a trace to your last passport. like i would doubt your passport number changes. hence its no good.

your number definitely changes

• Registered Users Posts: 25 decision

your number definitely changes

right we need an official group for this issue. i take it that most people on this thread have read the basic requirements to getting a 1 year visa and are tired of seeing bloated threads with FAQ type questions being asked. if we group together our knowledge and findings on this issue we have a better crack at getting where we want to be. i would rather learn from others about what are the next steps to take post IEC rejection as it could save me hundreds in legal fees otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 8 skibop

were you on 1st or second visa?
    did you fill in the aplication saying you were out of the country for longer than 18months?

obeara wrote: »
    :( Looks like I haven't a chance either so. 21 months and counting out of Ireland and they still havent acknowledged receipt of my application for a 2nd IEC.

Which phase were you rejected at or were you told informally?

did you tell them on the forms/cv that you were out of the country for 21 months? was this your second visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

skibop wrote: »
    did you tell them on the forms/cv that you were out of the country for 21 months? was this your second visa?

Ya in canada on my first IEC and was applying for 2nd year. So I had to match the info on the application i gave them last year when this rule wasnt in place.

I had 11 months studying in the UK followed by living in Ireland and now 10 months so far in Canada.

obeara wrote: »
    Ya in canada on my first IEC and was applying for 2nd year. So I had to match the info on the application i gave them last year when this rule wasnt in place.

I had 11 months studying in the UK followed by living in Ireland and now 10 months so far in Canada.

I see, you are in same situation as me. except i told them i was in usa for previous 2 years and 8 years in the uk before that.
    Its a shame we were so honest last year but like you said it didnt matter then.
    Do you think I should just change my details about where I lived and hope they dont cross reference it with last years. I know its a long shot but its that or nothing. Or I guess I could look at some of the other options. My visa is not up until mid april.

decision wrote: »
    right we need an official group for this issue. i take it that most people on this thread have read the basic requirements to getting a 1 year visa and are tired of seeing bloated threads with FAQ type questions being asked. if we group together our knowledge and findings on this issue we have a better crack at getting where we want to be. i would rather learn from others about what are the next steps to take post IEC rejection as it could save me hundreds in legal fees otherwise

agreed decision. i m in same boat. i have already paid a few hundred on this issue so have no interest in paying any more. we need to see is there ways around this. surely this rule cant be legal - it contravenes the common travel law etc. there has to be some way we can either challenge this or look at other steps

skibop wrote: »
    were you on 1st or second visa?
    did you fill in the aplication saying you were out of the country for longer than 18months?

Im on my first, applying for my second.
    I didnt explicitly say that I was out of the country for more than 18 months, but between resume, previous addresses and police certs, they can easily put it together

surely this rule cant be legal - it contravenes the common travel law etc

theyre not stopping you travelling to canada, they're just not letting you work there which they're perfectly entitled to do

theyre not stopping you travelling to canada, they're just not letting you work there which they're perfectly entitled to do

i,m talking about the common travel agreement between ireland & uk.

• Advertisement

Im on my first, applying for my second.
    I didnt explicitly say that I was out of the country for more than 18 months, but between resume, previous addresses and police certs, they can easily put it together

let us know how you get on with ur application mate

i,m talking about the common travel agreement between ireland & uk.

which has nowt to do with how canada does things, given that they're under no obligation to view them in the same way EU countries need to

which has nowt to do with how canada does things, given that they're under no obligation to view them in the same way EU countries need to

it contravenes EU law to discriminate by borders which is exactly what the High Commission is doing. too much effort to explain but google it.

it contravenes EU law to discriminate by borders which is exactly what the High Commission is doing. too much effort to explain but google it.

since when does EU law apply to canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hokley

Has anyone heard if they cross reference this year's application against last year's? ie check the CV against each other? I'm hoping it's just a matter of your CV and application just matching up when it lands in the IEC office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holla!

Does anybody know if you have to submit both an Irish police cert and a Canadian police cert? i have been on the IEC 2011 since last June and am applying for the 2012 one now. cheers.

i didnt. I dont think its needed, regardless what is said about the 'police certs from any country youve lived in for more than 6 months' etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CliodhnaB

They have put this 18months rule in place and theres nothing no one can do about it.. apply and if you get refused look into other options! there is plenty options out there!

i didnt. I dont think its needed, regardless what is said about the 'police certs from any country youve lived in for more than 6 months' etc..

it says, at least it used to say, any country apart from canada

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

just wondering has anybody thats in canada already and had to apply for australian police cert and traffic history check recieved any back? i sent off for it 3 weeks ago and nada would love to get crackin on my second year qapplication

Advertisement