Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Review

Options
  • 07-01-2012 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Everyone

I live with my partner in a small 3 bedroom house in Kingswood, Tallaght.

The monthly rent is €1350 and I am wondering do people think that this is reasonable in this day and age. I am thinking of asking my landlord for a rent review.

Any comments etc. Welcome

Cheers

Fran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Have you checked daft.ie or similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

You certainly won't get a reduction if you don't ask - but you are likely to see an increase as the landlord will probably want to pass on the new household charge to you.

If you have a fixed term agreement, the landlord cannot increase the rent until the end of the agreement.

If you have a Part 4 agreement, the landlord can increase the rent once a year.

If you have a Periodic lease, the landlord can increase the rent at the end of any period (usually monthly)

A rent reduction under any agreement can be done at any time but only by mutual agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1149479
    €1075 asking price so can agree to less.

latest social welfare rent allowance rates for dublin are maximum 925 to 950 so social welfare recipients won't be competing with you.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html#l62fd2

You are in a strong position to negotiate a reduction but be prepared to move if landlord won't agree to reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fran26

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread. I have decided to get cracking with negotiating my rent.

If he doesn't reduce it I'll move

Cheers

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

A 4 bed for 1k - http://www.daft.ie/21147763

Print a few examples to show your landlord and don't forget you can use the "Let Agreed" search filter on daft.ie to get more examples, like the one above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

any luck with the renegotiation fran? i'm sure you'll inspire some others in similar circumstances if you've had success! ;)
    i'm currently renting in kildare meself, receiving rent allowance, the maximum for a couple cohabiting in our area is 500, dropped from 600 since the new rates came in january 1st, i'm waiting for my landlord to get back to me tomorrow to try negotiate the rent with him and as much as i love the house and the area especially i'm gona have to move elsewhere and within 3 weeks according to the letter i received from the rent unit

Advertisement