Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing BIOS update before installing OS?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I received my new motherboard "P8Z68-V-Pro" last week and will build my new system tomorrow. I just want to know if you guy's install the Bios updates before the OS and drivers or do you do it after?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Either or. Personally, I'd do it after. Make sure everything is working out of the box first, then screw with stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Serephucus wrote: »
    Either or. Personally, I'd do it after. Make sure everything is working out of the box first, then screw with stuff.

Thank Serephucus,
    Doing it after sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I received my new motherboard "P8Z68-V-Pro" last week and will build my new system tomorrow. I just want to know if you guy's install the Bios updates before the OS and drivers or do you do it after?
    Thanks

Tbh personally I only ever do a bios update if there are issues with a pc. I have just got a 775 board up and running there after not working for months from a failed bios flash. I had to solder on a new bios as it failed and wouldnt for love nor money allow me to reflash it :(.

deceit wrote: »
    Tbh personally I only ever do a bios update if there are issues with a pc. I have just got a 775 board up and running there after not working for months from a failed bios flash. I had to solder on a new bios as it failed and wouldnt for love nor money allow me to reflash it :(.

Hi deceit,

Even with the "Asus Ez flash Bios" you wouldn't update it. I'm a virgin at doing Bios updates and the Ez flash is one of the reasons I went with Asus. Hopefully, the Board has the latest update already there, so I wont need to touch it. I'll find out tomorrow. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Hi deceit,

Even with the "Asus Ez flash Bios" you wouldn't update it. I'm a virgin at doing Bios updates and the Ez flash is one of the reasons I went with Asus. Hopefully, the Board has the latest update already there, so I wont need to touch it. I'll find out tomorrow. :eek:

In fairness you never should have to update bios its only for fixing an issue thats effectiong you. I would only ever not be bothered about flashing it if there is dual bios on the board.

• Advertisement

I'd update to any non-beta BIOS if I wasn't having issues. They often improve stability for overclocks, or slight tweaks to performance. There's very little risk of bricking anything, it's just another stigma that's around from the old days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How often should you update the bios?I built my computer almost 4 yrs ago now and have never updated it,Is it necessary to do it?

If you're asking, probably not. Usually it'd be only people with specific problems, or people that want to get every last bit of performance out of their systems, that would update.

I've had a couple of very minor issues with my rig, and I wanted to see if a BIOS update would help (it did a little).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you're asking, probably not. Usually it'd be only people with specific problems, or people that want to get every last bit of performance out of their systems, that would update.

I've had a couple of very minor issues with my rig, and I wanted to see if a BIOS update would help (it did a little).

I'll leave it alone so :),I think my brother was trying to do this a few years ago and he fried his motherboard :o

Ok, Built the PC last night and the Bios version is 0801 and date is 08/15/2011 But, if I go to the Asus website it's not listed. They have versions 0706,0902, and the lastest 1101.
    I'm using CPU-Z and the board is the P8Z68-V-PRO (windows 7 64 bit). http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#download

Why wouldn't they list the version I have 0801?

• Advertisement
Advertisement