Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX wont update fully, any help?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My wife bought me a second hand xbox 360 for Christmas and everything was going grand with it, playing games no problem but bought Battlefield 3 for it and it says it needs to update so when I click ok for that the first 90% of the bar laods up and then stops and wont fully update.

Can anybody tell me whats wrong? still plays other games no problems and isnt hooked up to internet or anything.Thought it was the game so took it back today and got it replaced but same story again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Whats the error code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

theboss80 wrote: »
    .......and isnt hooked up to internet or anything.

Um. So how is it downloading the update initially without being connected to the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Have you tried clearing the cache on your HDD?
    How long have you left the screen on 90%? It could just take a while.
    Have you tried connecting the xbox to the internet to download the update there?
    Have you installed it to the hard drive?
    Have you installed the optional texture pack to your hard drive?

chin_grin wrote: »
    Um. So how is it downloading the update initially without being connected to the net?

I presume it's an on-disc update for old consoles that don't have the update and haven't connected to XBL. Just like kinect games had the new dashboard update before the kinect hardware was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I presume it's an on-disc update for old consoles that don't have the update and haven't connected to XBL. Just like kinect games had the new dashboard update before the kinect hardware was released.

Thought those on-disc ones were scrapped in favour of xbl updates. So in order to run the game you'd need to update the firmware on live? (IE instead of anti-piracy measures on the disk taking up space they put it in to the firmware). I could be getting that wrong though.

• Advertisement

Thought those on-disc ones were scrapped in favour of xbl updates. So in order to run the game you'd need to update the firmware on live? (IE instead of anti-piracy measures on the disk taking up space they put it in to the firmware). I could be getting that wrong though.
    Nope the game requires the update, so its on the disc. Console can't read the disc properly without it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Jeez that was quick. Thanks for all responses, most of them went straight over my head to be honest. Ya it seems to be an on disk update. Its the Battlefield 3 limited edition game, Havent had any of the previous ones before.

Its has been on that 90% mark for 25minutes now. Are ye saying I have to have it connected to internet to get it to work ?

yeah, the on disc ones are normally scrapped but since the OP has no XBL connection, there is no newer update.

It's not necessary to run any updates in order to play a game offline, it's only necessary to play online.

theboss80 wrote: »
    Jeez that was quick. Thanks for all responses, most of them went straight over my head to be honest. Ya it seems to be an on disk update. Its the Battlefield 3 limited edition game, Havent had any of the previous ones before.

Its has been on that 90% mark for 25minutes now. Are ye saying I have to have it connected to internet to get it to work ?

Well, it's probably a system update, for the xbox dashboard. Does your dashboard look like this: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2011/12/5/1323073563164/Xbox-dashboard-007.jpg

If not you're probably on an old dashboard and you'll need to connect to live to update it.

But i see no problem in playing the game without the update. Updates are optional to play offline content

Whats the error code. I can make a beter idea of whats wrong then

• Advertisement

Naw dashboard looks nothing like that at all, definately alot older Id say. It looks the same as this one xbox_1.jpg

Well, it's probably a system update, for the xbox dashboard. Does your dashboard look like this: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2011/12/5/1323073563164/Xbox-dashboard-007.jpg

If not you're probably on an old dashboard and you'll need to connect to live to update it.

But i see no problem in playing the game without the update. Updates are optional to play offline content

No he will need to update, if the disc automatically starts an update, the game requires the update (new disc format) and the console wont be able to read the game properly.

Meesared wrote: »
    Whats the error code. I can make a beter idea of whats wrong then

There is no error code coming up.

Just black background with the writing

"Update in progress
    Please wait while the update is applied.Do not turn off r unplug your console.Your console may restart when the update is complete."

Download this
    Unzip it
    Drop it onto a flash drive
    Plug it into the console
    Start up the console (without the game in)
    Update should start automatically

Do what meesared said, you'll have to install the update manually. Or you could connect to live and get the update from there but the USB method is easier

Meesared wrote: »
    Download this
    Unzip it
    Drop it onto a flash drive
    Plug it into the console
    Start up the console (without the game in)
    Update should start automatically

Done all this now, still updating after 20mins, and stuck at around 90% again. I assume this normally updates in a matter of a few minutes?

It should be.
    Do you have a hard drive?

Really havent a clue to be honest.

Just cam up now that update couldnt continue and it restarted and now have 1 red light and error code E64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

E64: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc.

So was your xbox modded? if so you need to flash the firmware back again,
    if it wasn't try restarting but if you still get error 64 you will have to send it to microsoft as your drive has no firmware and your key will be gone so there is nothing you can do without doing the reset glitch hack to get the key.

also worth a try, before turning on the xbox hold the wireless sync button on the front of the xbox it's ment to clear any failed updates

Sounds like a repair I'm afraid :(

• Advertisement

Ah ****e.

Dunno if it was modded or anything as my wife bought it second hand. So where do i send it exactly? will it matter that I don't have a guarantee or reciept or anything?

if its the old white xbox pop off the face plate, it just pulls off from the right usb side,
    there will either be a silver or paper warranty sticker, does it look like it was tampered with? if it doesn't just contact microsoft on 1800509186 tell them you got the error after a system update and they will either repair it for you or quote you a price to fix it,

if the sticker looks damaged or there is none they will probably charge you for a repair, just don't tell about the sticker and you might just get away with it

Ok major panic over, turned off the system and started it up again and error had disappeared but still leaves me in the situation before the code.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH SO FRUSTRATING.

Plus NO sticker at all after removing faceplate

sounds like its modded and the system update is trying to flash the drive to stock and cannot and its hanging,

start the xbox, on the dash go to system settings and system info, what dashboard version are you on?, i'm guessing its lower then 13141,

when updating to dash 13141 or higher the xbox will flash the dvd drive again and it sounds like its having problems trying to flash it,

if the above is the case the fix is to flash the dvd drive back to stock firmware, the update should then go through fully, and this will leave your xbox unmodded if you want you can leave it that way or mod it again once you get past the update,

sounds like its modded and the system update is trying to flash the drive to stock and cannot and its hanging,

start the xbox, on the dash go to system settings and system info, what dashboard version are you on?, i'm guessing its lower then 13141,

when updating to dash 13141 or higher the xbox will flash the dvd drive again and it sounds like its having problems trying to flash it,

if the above is the case the fix is to flash the dvd drive back to stock firmware, the update should then go through fully, and this will leave your xbox unmodded if you want you can leave it that way or mod it again once you get past the update,
    I agree with DrGreenthumb here

Th dashboard looks like this one

In system info it says Current Setting Dashboard: 2.0.8955.0.

How do I update or fix the flash drive?? Not bothered if its modded or not just want it working

Really appreciate the help and patience lads

yep sounds like thats the problem alright as your on dash 8955,
    you can either try to solve it your self by opening the xbox getting the key and flashing stock firmware back on it,

or bring it to someone who offers a modding service and they will fix it,

what dvd drive is in your xbox, look at this pic for reference,
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/2673236_f520.jpg

If you're not feeling confident about opening up the xbox and doing the re-flash yourself, try to find out where it was bought from. If it was a local shop, like game/ gamestop, try return saying it was modded. Or if it was on adverts, try contact the seller and see if they'll fix it.

yep sounds like thats the problem alright as your on dash 8955,
    you can either try to solve it your self by opening the xbox getting the key and flashing stock firmware back on it,

or bring it to someone who offers a modding service and they will fix it,

what dvd drive is in your xbox, look at this pic for reference,
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/2673236_f520.jpg

Ah wouldnt have a clue how to flash it at all so will try find some1 local. The disk drive is the Hitachi one

Thanks anyway

• Advertisement

If you're not feeling confident about opening up the xbox and doing the re-flash yourself, try to find out where it was bought from. If it was a local shop, like game/ gamestop, try return saying it was modded. Or if it was on adverts, try contact the seller and see if they'll fix it.

Naw Ive found out where it was got now and the guy is well dodgy so absolutely wasting my time going to him. Wasn't a shop or anything, just a local del boy

Advertisement