Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are these marks on my heifer

• 07-01-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I noticed a few of my wweanling heifers have these marks. see attached pics. the skin is very dry and all 3 heifers have it in the same areas. Over the eye, on top of the ear and around the shoulder. One heifer was bought in last back end so maybe she may have been infected already. None of the other 6 heifers are showing any signs of this infection. They have it for a few weeks now. I was going to call the vet but maybe someone here has seen this before. If so can you recommend a treatment for it. It doesnt seem to be effecting them in terms of thriving but I am concerned that it will get worse and spread to the rest of the herd.

I looked up some info on the net and the closest match i found was ringworm. I dozed them all with vibramac a month after they went in but whatever they have vibramac didnt prevent it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ringworm, nothing to worry about. When cattle get a bit stressed, start of winter housing etc and the right environment, weather etc. It seems to spread.
    It's one of those things that if you leave it alone, it will go away.;)
    There are treatments, just search on the other threads.

Might be no harm give the shed a good wash out and disinfect after the winter is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Buy a bottle of imaverol from your vet - about EUR20. Spray it on or brush it on or sponge it on and it will disappear within a few days. Be careful not to touch it - its very contageous and nasty on humans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ringworm, nothing to worry about. When cattle get a bit stressed, start of winter housing etc and the right environment, weather etc. It seems to spread.
    It's one of those things that if you leave it alone, it will go away.;)
    There are treatments, just search on the other threads.

Might be no harm give the shed a good wash out and disinfect after the winter is over.

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Fair play to ye lads. Nice to get free of charge consultation here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Tora Bora wrote: »
    .:D

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Grecco wrote: »
    or !!

Holy water anyone:D.

Edited out the illegal parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

What's funny it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

@, paint it on thick and it always seemed to do the trick..
    We did that last year on a weanling but it just got worse and then spread to four more.. Last year was a real bad year for ringworm on many farms and it definitely got a hold on many... It took a few bottles of imravol to cure it..

You can chance it on and see, it may go away or it may get worse and spread.. It's extremely contageous, and if that one animal is susceptable then others in the pen may be too...

Earlier this year we had two calves show ringworm around their head, similar to yours.. We took in all 5 in the group and drenched their heads with one bottle of Imravol from a sprayer and brushed it in... Cleared up within two weeks..

I'd say treat it now with the Imravol rather than letting it get a hold..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What's funny it works?

Heavy metal toxins are found in burned oil. When you put it on an animal it contaminates meat and milk and can enter the food chain and ultimately cause cancer.

Legal and safe treatments for ringworm are cheap. Remember, this is a public forum and its not just a select few people who read what is posted on it.

What's funny it works?

It's Carcinogenic though.
    So the disease may be worse than the cure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Have a few bought in heifers with it. I worst thing about ringworm is the way it looks. It doesn't really hold back cattle thrive.

Once they hit the grass it will clear up anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Muckit wrote: »
    Once they hit the grass it will clear up anyway
    Sunlight kills it hence it is worst at housing in the winter and tends to cure up at turn out in the spring.

Well lads, ye have to admit my deleted:o cure, was a perfect colour match for thr OP's nice black heifer:cool:
    C0lour coordination in farming is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Well lads, ye have to admit my deleted:o cure, was a perfect colour match for thr OP's nice black heifer:cool:
    C0lour coordination in farming is very important.

it's ok Reilig just told us what your cure was !!

A

Askim wrote: »
    it's ok Reilig just told us what your cure was !!

A

Six month ban for Reilig. Advocating illegal practice. Ordinary Joe Soap like me don't know the difference, but higher standards required from a mod.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Six month ban for Reilig. Advocating illegal practice. Ordinary Joe Soap like me don't know the difference, but higher standards required from a mod.:D

Welcome back tb we missed your witty comments, try not to get yerself banned:cool:
    You just don't know who looks in here, anyone 4m dept to supermarket shoppers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Colour coordination in farming is very important.

We all like the cuffs to match the collar:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Hi Robin,

Thats definitelyRingworm and im just over it and its a pure dose, i hate it with a passion and my GF is not liking my cattle either in case i get it from them!! Wet year and zero sunight has lead to massive no. of spores/outbreaks

I used that new injection from Intervet i think , rocket expensive and useless.. Imaverol is the only job but a lot of hassle running them through the chute every 3 days... but get yourself good gloves and a scrubber brush and a 1 litre hand held sprayer or a knapsack rough up the scab well with the brush before you soak it with the sprayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

if ringworm is cured by sunlight, it may be the ultraviolet part of it, if it is would a UV light in the shed do it too ??

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi Robin,

Thats definitelyRingworm and im just over it and its a pure dose, i hate it with a passion and my GF is not liking my cattle either in case i get it from them!! Wet year and zero sunight has lead to massive no. of spores/outbreaks

I used that new injection from Intervet i think , rocket expensive and useless.. Imaverol is the only job but a lot of hassle running them through the chute every 3 days... but get yourself good gloves and a scrubber brush and a 1 litre hand held sprayer or a knapsack rough up the scab well with the brush before you soak it with the sprayer

Timber doors, and frames are great hosts for ringworm, or so my vet told me, when I had an outbreak of it on a couple of horses a few years back. It nees a right good soaking and cleaning once the ringworm sets in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi Robin,

Hello Bod. Thanks for the advice. Its very much appreciated.

Advertisement