Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atv2 going in the bin!

• 07-01-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I have read and googled enough at this stage,, I have an apple tv 2 4.4.4 successfully jailbroken , but can't configure xbmc to see any of my files on my mac book pro running os x lion.. Is it my eircom router? It's that right. This came up already in other posts but is it the mother of alll my problems??

I do read smb is out of the question with os x but is my router my next big problem?

Please advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

It's the eircom router. Its a pile of sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Eircom router problem!
    Been there recently in a customers house, I had iTunes home sharing problems on a brand new netopia, swapped it for another brand new netopia router and the same, setup a linksys router and everything worked immediately, it's definitely a blocked port or something on the router.
    Id personally change it for a netgear, linksys or anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭zamo27

Just looked on eBay would a belkin wireless N modem 300 Mbps 4 port do??
    It's in England and going very cheap would that work here
    Thank you lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

zamo27 wrote: »
    Just looked on eBay would a belkin wireless N modem 300 Mbps 4 port do??
    It's in England and going very cheap would that work here
    Thank you lads

It will work but stay away from anything Belkin if you're looking to improve your situation.
    You'll just be going from one cheal pos to another.

As already mentioned, Netgear, Lynksys, Dlink, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

ok i have a Belkin wireless router and Atv2 and i cannot get the atv2 to see the files on my macbook either. i had been trying the SMB route but it cannot see my macbook.

is it possible with the right gear then to be able to stream movies from your macbook to your atv2 in xbmc? If it is possible I would consider changing my router if that indeed is the problem.

atv2 is running 4.4.4
    macbook pro is on Mac OS X 10.7.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

[chancing my arm]
    if its still going in the bin can i have it?
    [/chancing my arm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I doubt the router is the problem in either of these.

If you were getting poor performance maybe you could trace it back to the router, but if you are not picking up your shares at all, it is likely something else.

The problem is most likely a shares issue on your Mac. SMB isn't native to OSX so it may be a permissions/authentication issue etc. According to a recent post by a XBMC dev, SMB sharing from 10.7 to XBMC will not work at all. Macs just arent very good in a mixed environment tbh.

Try sharing with an alternative method eg NFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

If you were getting poor performance maybe you could trace it back to the router, but if you are not picking up your shares at all, it is likely something else.

The problem is most likely a shares issue on your Mac. SMB isn't native to OSX so it may be a permissions/authentication issue etc. According to a recent post by a XBMC dev, SMB sharing from 10.7 to XBMC will not work at all. Macs just arent very good in a mixed environment tbh.

Agree. I have an old Eircom router and can stream 720p files from my Mac to ATV2 without any issue. I see the OP is running Lion, which there have been many reports of having issues. I'd advise the OP to have a look at the XBMC forums for a solution to the issue and save their money regarding buying a new router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭zamo27

I did NFS i went on xbmc forums i got other sodtware to help with this and i have my share activated on my mac so whats left??
    the router no?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I did NFS i went on xbmc forums i got other sodtware to help with this and i have my share activated on my mac so whats left??
    the router no?!
    A loan of a router ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

the router no?!

No, there's a fair few things that I would check before suspecting the router.

Setting up NFS shares can be tricky on both sides (the server and client), so first of all I would double-check that. In XBMC up to Dharma accessing NFS shares took a lot of manual configuring. I know in Eden there is a NFS browser now but there's still a lot of things that can go wrong in terms of setup.

Advertisement