Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Cheap Foundation for Pale Skin

• 07-01-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking for a good foundation for pale skin for a while and I haven't been impressed with anything I've found! They've either been too dark (even the lightest shade) or looked cakey/shiney. I'm on a pretty tight budget as its after Christmas and I'm 18!

I was just wondering if people could reccommend a decent foundation that I could get in Boots? For aprox. €10-17?

I have normal to combination skin and I wouldn't want something too heavy, that looks cakey. But I do want a small/medium amount of coverage. And one that doesn't go shiney after an hour!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I'm not an expert on foundation or anything but I am also pretty pale. I used to get foundations in boots and they'd always be too dark for my skin even in the lightest shade. Id never end up wearing them!

I tried revelon colourstay in ivory (fairly sure that's it...it's the lightest one anyway) and I was pretty impressed regarding the shade. It's not as pale as of like it but it's a lot better that some of the other ones I've used.
    I'm not sure how much it is, think I got it for €18. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

revlon photoready has nice coverage and there's a very light shade. I also like Maybelline super stay, heavier coverage but not cakey and the lightest shade is very pale, use a damp sponge to get lighter coverage maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I'm crazy pale and I use Loreal True Match foundation. It's the first one I've found which is pale enough for me... and I don't even use the lightest shade. It's about 15 euro in boots and they have great little tubes as testers to pick out the right shade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I bought maybelline's dreamy creamy foundation in the palest shade available (light porcelain, maybe?), it works really well for me. Definitely worth a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im very pale but find the Catrice range brilliant. I think it only cost 6.99 or something near that. (its deffo less than a tenner)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I'm incredibly pale as well, most foundations are too dark unless I mix them with a white foundation :(

I can't think of many that are good for pale people. Brands like Revlon and rimmell don't have good shades for pale people.

The only ones that come to mind that MAY work for your skin would be Bourjois and L'Oreal.

Bourjois do some lovely foundations and they have a few out at the moment which are being raved about on Youtube (Sorry, I don't know which particular foundations they are..one could be the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation)

L'oreal True Match also has some fairly pale shades as well :)

Don't pile the foundation on (whichever foundation you get) as the sheerer it is the more it will match your skin tone and won't look too dark!

If I think of any more I'll let you know :D

foodaholic wrote: »
    Im very pale but find the Catrice range brilliant. I think it only cost 6.99 or something near that. (its deffo less than a tenner)

+1

I love Catrice - their price range is brilliant as well! Definitely check them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

The palest Revlon Colorstay (ivory I think) and the palest Max Factor Xperience (40 - light ivory) both work for me - am about NW17 in MAC. Both are pink toned.

I really like Xperience, it gives a nice dewy coverage I'd expect from a department store brand. Astonishingly good when you consider relative price points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

foodaholic wrote: »

Plus one for catrice. I bought two foundations, one was the 16/18 hour one (can't remember the exact name) and the oil was the matte one. The matte one was perfect but the 16 hour one was slightly too yellow on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'm crazy pale and I use Loreal True Match foundation. It's the first one I've found which is pale enough for me... and I don't even use the lightest shade. It's about 15 euro in boots and they have great little tubes as testers to pick out the right shade.

+1

True match Rose Ivory is one of the only foundations I can use. I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hedwig

Thanks a mil for all the suggestions!

I must try out one of the Catrice foundations, I've heard good reviews of them before but never thought about giving them a try, it would be brilliant if I could get my foundation for €7 as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Alice1

Saaron wrote: »
    +1

I love Catrice - their price range is brilliant as well! Definitely check them out!
    Hi, can you tell me please, where you can buy Catrice products? They don't seem to sell them online.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lucyfails

I know you said one you can get in Boots, but just throwing this out here in case it's helpful for anyone else :)

I use the NYX Liquid Foundation in the shade 'Pale', and it's the only foundation (apart from Bobbi Brown Alabaster - too expensive though!) I've found that totally matches my skintone. The Revlon/other drugstore foundations are too dark for me! :o

I order it from cherryculture (and it works out cheaper in euros).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

lainey316 wrote: »
    The palest Revlon Colorstay (ivory I think) and

Yeah I am very pale and this was even too pale for me! The palest colour is too pale and then the next one up is too dark. Shame, it's a very nice foundation! Colorstay is quite heavy coverage. Never goes shiny though, as long as you get the one for comb/oily skin! (there are 2...one for dry skin and 1 for oily skin)

I swear by Clinque foundation. The anti-blemish solutions one. Costs a bit extra (I usually buy it online to get it a bit cheaper), but always matches my skintone perfectly and never gives me spots or makes my face shiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

Essence soft touch mousse foundation!
    I bought it because I needed to wait 2 weeks to get paid and buy my beloved smashbox HD foundation.
    It's been a month and i'm still using the essence stuff.. I love it :D

EDIT: I am super pale too, and had no problems using the essence soft touch mousse in 'ivory'

Alice1 wrote: »
    Hi, can you tell me please, where you can buy Catrice products? They don't seem to sell them online.

Thanks

You can find Catrice in Penneys and Dunnes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I am really pale as well but find the Tesco Barbara Daly foundation in the lightest shade pretty good for day to day wear. Only about 7 quid as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Alice1 wrote: »

Thanks

Catrice is stocked in Penneys & Dunnes in Blanchardstown Centre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Alice1

Saaron & Nesbitt, thank you very much - will look there. I'm very near Blanchardstown.

I am really pale as well but find the Tesco Barbara Daly foundation in the lightest shade pretty good for day to day wear. Only about 7 quid as well

I've tried other foundations thinking that something more expensive might be nicer, but I've never found anything that suits me better than BD. It really is so good, and aside from having a nice colour it's really soft and light too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Love the concealer too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Revlon are miles ahead of the rest, pale enough and its actually a good foundation. Gosh also do a very good pale foundation, you can pick it up in any awear

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

To all REVLON fans! Apparently there's a new shop in georges Arcade that sells Colorstay for only a tenner!

I highly recommend Revlon shades, I'm ginger and the colour of a milk carton! Always receive compliments about my skin with this foundation, apply once in the morning and your set until bed time!

I find it weird how people think Revlon is good for pale skin. I find most of their foundations too dark.

Revlon Colourstay is a decent foundation but you need to remove it properly as it sticks to your skin. I used to use it but found that the lightest shade was too dark to get away with and I'm pretty sure it gave me cystic acne.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Have you used a primer before hand? The first foundation I got was MAC, bought it 4 years ago and I'm still paying the price with all my acne scars that it caused :( Didn't experience anything like this from Revlon though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Really like Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation but find it very hard to find the right pale shade, BB Cream's seem to have solved that problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I'm super pale, and the best one I've found for me is the Max Factor Second Skin foundation in creamy ivory?? or something...the palest one anyway. It costs between 17 and 20 euros, which im sure sounds a bit much if you're looking for something cheap, but it works out cheaper in the long run. It really does end up looking just like your skin, it adapts to your skin tone and is hardly detectable. A little goes a very long way, and my last bottle lasted me about a year. Works out much cheaper than buying two or three cheaper bottles a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I've only ever owned like three foundations that I actually liked and two of them went off the market but during the summer (yes, SUMMER) I bought No 7 Stay Perfect foundation in Alabaster. I used it every day since and only ran out before Christmas when I promptly bought a second bottle. It gives a medium coverage, lasts hours and isn't matte. It also has SPF15 in it which is always good. Cannot recommend it enough and for 17 quid (I've paid up to 60 in the past) it's quite the bargain. I've gotten so many compliments on it too so seriously, just check it out! It's also one of the only ones I've gotten that doesn't leave my face a shade or two darker than my neck. As Borat would say, great success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

Give Dainty Doll a look. Not sure if they stock the brand in Boots though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The Dunnes in Liffey Valley stock the Catrice range and Penneys on Mary St too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I'd have to say Max Factor Pan Stick is great. I don't have pale skin but a lot of my friends do and swear by it. Only thing is if you have dry skin it's not so good, it can really dry out your skin, but I've used it myself and I have combination skin it works fine. Has a lot of coverage so if you're going for a more natural look, it might not be for you.

What I'm using at the moment is Loreal visible lift Serum Inside. They do very pale ones too, it gives great coverage, and the serum in it ensures it doesnt settle on your face, it gives even coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'm quite pale and currently using ELF Flawless finish foundation in Porcelain and its very good. http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~268.htm I also use the high definition powder which I find great aswell. http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~144.htm If you are considering ordering its best to wait until they have a promotion code available which is very often, don't think there's one at the moment. I always stock up when they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Max Factor Experience in 40 Light Ivory is great though it's been over taken by my Avon magix cashmere finish foundation recently :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Max Factor Experience in 40 Light Ivory is great though it's been over taken by my Avon magix cashmere finish foundation recently :)

Advertisement