Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"If anyone knows of any reason these two should not be married, speak now or...

• 07-01-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...forever hold your peace".

Just wondering, does anyone ever actually object at this moment? Like, in real life.

And surely if someone has an objection, they're a bit of a douche if they wait until the couple are actually on the altar with everyone watching before they speak up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I tried to object at my first wedding...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Only ever happens in Coronation St. and Vince Vaughan movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Someone's been watching Stephen Merchant Live...

... or at least been listening to the old podcasts/XFM shows where all the material came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

remember it was around before casual sex was........casual and excepted

it basically means if anyone knows if sarah has been pop'd already speak now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Someone I know has been at a wedding where this has happened.

This man objected and he, the priest and the bride and groom, went off into a back room in the church for a few minutes then they all emerged, the man who objected left the church by the front door and the service resumed. The man objected simply because he wanted to marry the bride instead. Bride said no and the couple have now been happily married for about 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This man objected and he, the priest and the bride and groom, went off into a back room in the church for a few minutes then they all emerged, the man who objected left the church by the front door and the service resumed. The man objected simply because he wanted to marry the bride instead. Bride said no and the couple have now been happily married for about 10 years.

How awkward would that be?! Fcuk

He should have just stayed at home that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Stick your hand up and when the place goes quiet say "is there a toilet I can use"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The fucked up thing is, i say its happened more times than what you think :pac: .. the worlds a big place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

How awkward would that be?! Fcuk

He should have just stayed at home that day

Maybe he didn't wanna have the regret that he never asked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

They dont use it anymore... mores the pity i would have my hand up everytime :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Chuck was taken

What's the sense ? They're still gonna get married

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

My grandfather, RIP, was at a wedding of a friend of the family. Being a little outspoken, a joker from the liberties and not suffering fools gladly he made two remarks during the service. The first was during the vows, when the whole place was deathly silent as the couple nervously ran through their very personal commitments to each other. Though there was a microphone my granddad who was partially deaf couldn't hear and chimed in from halfway down the Church, "Speak up for fecks sake, we can't hear a thing!" This wasn't for comic effect, he genuinely couldn't hear and was a bit pissed off at missing the show.

The second cringeworthy outburst was after the priest asked, 'If there is any reason...', my granddad thought it imperative to say, "Yeah, yer man drives a Nissan Micra".

My mother sank down, red faced in her seat beside him and wished the ground would swallow her up. Reprimanding him after the service he saw no problem with what he had said and pointed out that he was being genuine. "Sure you can't marry a man who drives a Micra."

The priest laughed off both comments sheepishly and I can't help thinking that everytime the couple look back on their precious wedding video, they will hear my grandfather airing his views. I can't decide which is funnier, the fact that he had the audacity to interrupt, or the fact that he genuinely believed his comments were important.

He's a legend in my book, as when you're that age, you can get away with things like that, and believe me, if I reach his age, I will be doing all that and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

candy-gal1 wrote: »

Why is there wind in that guys living room?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I tried to object at my first wedding...:D

I was sorry later, no objected to my first one! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I've never heard an Irish congregation (civil or church) being asked this question at a wedding; I know they ask the couple themselves if there's any reason why they shouldn't marry during the ceremony, but they never seem to put the question to the audience (as far as I have seen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Arpa wrote: »
    My grandfather, RIP, was at a wedding of a friend of the family. Being a little outspoken, a joker from the liberties and not suffering fools gladly he made two remarks during the service. The first was during the vows, when the whole place was deathly silent as the couple nervously ran through their very personal commitments to each other. Though there was a microphone my granddad who was partially deaf couldn't hear and chimed in from halfway down the Church, "Speak up for fecks sake, we can't hear a thing!" This wasn't for comic effect, he genuinely couldn't hear and was a bit pissed off at missing the show.

The second cringeworthy outburst was after the priest asked, 'If there is any reason...', my granddad thought it imperative to say, "Yeah, yer man drives a Nissan Micra".

My mother sank down, red faced in her seat beside him and wished the ground would swallow her up. Reprimanding him after the service he saw no problem with what he had said and pointed out that he was being genuine. "Sure you can't marry a man who drives a Micra."

The priest laughed off both comments sheepishly and I can't help thinking that everytime the couple look back on their precious wedding video, they will hear my grandfather airing his views. I can't decide which is funnier, the fact that he had the audacity to interrupt, or the fact that he genuinely believed his comments were important.

He's a legend in my book, as when you're that age, you can get away with things like that, and believe me, if I reach his age, I will be doing all that and more.

How well did he know the couple?

Were they the type of people to laugh this off?

Depending on your answers your late Grandad is either a bit of craic or an utter arsehole!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

heard a story from a friend of a friend of a friend about a wedding where the groom asked the priest not to have the civil stuff done at the church and to leave it for later.
    at the reception, he stood up, looked at the best man and said, you're my best friend, but you were with my bride last night, so you can keep her.

in fairness, he found out the morning of the wedding, and it was way too late to do anything so he just enjoyed a quality meal in the hotel. no divorce needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And surely if someone has an objection, they're a bit of a douche...

A douche? Please god don't tell me you're Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

heard a story from a friend of a friend of a friend about a wedding where the groom asked the priest not to have the civil stuff done at the church and to leave it for later.
    at the reception, he stood up, looked at the best man and said, you're my best friend, but you were with my bride last night, so you can keep her.

in fairness, he found out the morning of the wedding, and it was way too late to do anything so he just enjoyed a quality meal in the hotel. no divorce needed.
    Would the bride not be a little suspicious that the civil stuff wasn't being done as she (presumably) expected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mossyc123 wrote: »

Depending on your answers your late Grandad is either a bit of craic or an utter arsehole!!!

In fairness if he'd done that to a relative of mine he probably would have been chinned in the grand tradition of our neighborhood. Being old doesnt excuse being a little mouthpiece from the bleedin liberties :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    In fairness if he'd done that to a relative of mine he probably would have been chinned in the grand tradition of our neighborhood. Being old doesnt excuse being a little mouthpiece from the bleedin liberties :pac:

Salt o' the earth sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

I put my hand up at my sisters wedding, just to see what would happen. Either the priest didn't see me, or chose to ignore me.

My sister did see me, out of the corner of her eye, because the pews were in a slight arc around the alter, and I was at the outside of the arc and so in her eyeline.

She laughed a bit, and I guess my brother in law wondered why the hell she was laughing at the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

mossyc123 wrote: »

:) To be honest I think he was a bit of both. He knew the couple very well, the bride refers to him as her uncle even though he's not blood related. They both knew him well enough to take it in good spirit, kinda laugh it off, like "Oh, Uncle Jack you messer". But he wasn't messing he was actually appalled by the idea of a man driving a Micra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

:) To be honest I think he was a bit of both. He knew the couple very well, the bride refers to him as her uncle even though he's not blood related. They both knew him well enough to take it in good spirit, kinda laugh it off, like "Oh, Uncle Jack you messer". But he wasn't messing he was actually appalled by the idea of a man driving a Micra.

I couldn't marry a man that dove a micra either. Fair play to your Grandad;)........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Diirrrty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

So you aspire to be an ignorant arsehole when older?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I've been at more weddings than I care to remember in different parts of the world and the priest/minister/whatever has never asked this question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Would the bride not be a little suspicious that the civil stuff wasn't being done as she (presumably) expected?

not sure how this was managed, think it was just to keep the civil part out of the church ceremony altogether.
    Sykk wrote: »
    So you aspire to be an ignorant arsehole when older?

poor effort at a ninja edit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

There's no shame in being truthful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I think this type of question is only asked in traditional anglican wedding services (I think it was asked at the wedding of William and.....emmm...help me out here...last year). And, I guess, any protestant churches that might have adopted some of their texts.

To my knowledge it is not and never has been asked at catholic wedding ceremonies and not at any civil ceremony I've been at.

Other than tall tales from friends of friends, has anyone really heard this question asked at a wedding (not on TV or in the movies)????

Advertisement