Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calor gas cylinders

• 07-01-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,626 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I might get some ideas here.

I use cylinder gas for my cooker, and have for the past 40 years. However I am finding it increasingly difficult to change the adaptor when the cylinder is empty. You have to push down with just thumbs on the collar that locks the adaptor in place, and I find this increasingly difficult to do with less strength in my hands and a bit of arthritis in my thumbs.

I contacted Calor and asked them if there was a 'collar with handles' that could be used to slip over the collar to press down on it, but the answer was that this would not be safe as people would use too much pressure and break the cylinder collar.

So, any suggestions on how this might be dealt with? (Apart from finding a young and healthy body to do it!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could you change to propane?
    You can get the same size bottle in propane as the yellow butane bottle.
    They don't use the push fit collar, instead they have a screw in type.
    You would only need to change the regulator, and this way would allow you to use a spanner to tighten the regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You could switch to a propane bottle, they have a single nut/union to tighten.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

i have a four empty big propane bottles if you want one , they go out side and you screw them on with a spanner i allso have the regulator free if you need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

not 100% sure but i think you need to modify the cooker to burn propane. Have a read here
    http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/RngNAT-LPconv.htm

I know its for butane but i think natural gas is very similar burn rates and pressure. Don't quote me on this but i don't think its as easy as cutting off the regulator and changing it. I think you should get advice from a rgi before you try anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

not 100% sure but i think you need to modify the cooker to burn propane. Have a read here
    http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/RngNAT-LPconv.htm

I know its for butane but i think natural gas is very similar burn rates and pressure. Don't quote me on this but i don't think its as easy as cutting off the regulator and changing it. I think you should get advice from a rgi before you try anything.

This is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,626 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you all, that is a good idea. I was coming round to the idea of getting a new cooker so that would work. I am aware of different requirements for different gas types, I don't know anything about propane but I will do a bit of research.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Butane/propane have the same burn rates, the offer free bottles is a good idea, plus the gas supplier usually connects the cylinders for you when they deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

This is incorrect.

Sorry am thinking about natural gas to propane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Propane is much better in subzero conditions as well , butane will freeze before propane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

OP If you could switch the regulator thingy to a different type, the screw on type, invest in or maybe receive the gift of an empty drum(there is good boards.ies on here!) of the largest domestic gas drum available. The drum is quite expensive when it needs replacing but comes with the added benefit of lasting so so so much longer. My hob is gas and the drum has lasted for the guts of a year. It could be longer but it runs out so rarely I tend to forget. It also ran the gas fire for a while earlier in the year when it was so cold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement