Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do CFLs bulbs give insipid light?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Is it that these bulbs give a narrow spectrum of light? If so, why does it mean that everything looks so unappealing and colourless under them?

Are there any CFLs that don't have this downside? What other non-incandescent alternatives could people recommend, preferably on sale in Dublin?

Thanks in advance.

On a broader note, while I think reducing emissions is a good thing, I still think consumers should have the freedom to light their homes with the attractive quality of light that conventional lightbulbs offer. In other words, John Gormley and/or the EU Commission shouldn't tell me how to light my home, as that's my business, as is my electricity bill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 5eanf

As far as I'm aware it has to do with the colour rendering index, CFL's have a lower value than your standard incandescent bulb.

The plus side being that they are more efficient at lighting a room. The problem that i have is that efficiency measurement assumes the only useful work done by the bulb is converting electricity to light, the heat it produces is assumed to be waste. In reality this heat energy heats your room very slightly which isn't enough to notice but it's technically not wasted.

As for alternatives LED lights offer much better performance and consume less energy. Might be something to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Thanks 5eanf.

I had a little read about CRI and it's interesting. It certainly squares with my observation that the colour of some of my clothes looks very different under sunlight and incandescent bulbs vs CFLs.

I'll take a look at LEDs as an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Where can you get LED Bulbs? I've never seen any in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The Philips Softone range of CFLs have a comfortable light temperature (I think 2700K), and I think their CRI is around 80% or thereabouts which is good for CFLs (and flourescents in general) The best flourescent lamps get to 90% CRI but these would be linear flourescent special types for visually demanding tasks...
    Philips Softone range: http://www.philips.co.uk/l/lamps/compact-fluorescent-integrated/energy-saver-bulb-shape/23170/cat/#

Be extremely wary with LEDs for their light temperature & CRI - Philips MasterLED & Megaman are the best I've seen thus far but there is a wide range of tat on the market.
    Also, with LED, they have optical "limitations" in that they excel at producing high intensity light on a particular point, but are not great at cretaing a 360 degree wash of light such as with incandescent or CFL...
    Philips MasterLED range: http://www.philips.co.uk/l/lamps/led-lighting-systems/led-lamps/23200/cat/#
    Megaman range: http://www.megamanuk.com/products

I think some lamp manufacturers are offering incandescent lamps with greater efficiency than traditional (but with the perfect 100% CRI and 2700K colour) - might be worthwhile checking them out...

Advertisement