Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question a language teacher may be able to help with...

• 07-01-2012 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am sure a language teacher might be able to help me on this. I speak Italian, fairly well, but never studied it. If I wanted to get a recognised qualification in it, what could I do?

Would I have to do the equivalent of the leaving cert in it, for example, if I wanted to use it for a 3rd level course? If so, where would I even start...

I can only draw on my experience in TEFL years ago, and students could prepare for different levels of internationally recognised English exams?
    So, as I said, I would have a decent knowledge of Italian, but would like to suss out how to get an official piece of paper that would say "you speak Italian quite well. Bravo"....:)

I am in Limerick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

I dont know the exact answer to your question but having a leaving cert qualification can only help. Its a good time of year to register to sit the leaving cert.

As far as i know you should enquire here http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=en. There will be a small fee.

Examples of past papers can also be found on this website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Great , thanks for that, but I am wondering if I could get assessed first to see my true level . I know my aural and speaking skills would be far far better than my written and grammar skills in Italian...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose somewhere like the Italian Instuitute would be able to point you towards someone who could test you and rate you on the A0 to C2 international scale.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You can go into an Italian degree course without a leaving cert in Italian. In my first day in the beginners Spanish class (you had to have a C for the advanced class and I had never formally studied Spanish before) I told my lecturer that I would go mad in the basic class and she said there was no problem with me going to the advanced class. Why not email the Italian department in some college and see what they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?
    In their classes section they say "Our courses are structured according to the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Students not previously enrolled in the IIC who wish to follow a course at a higher level are advised to take an assessment test (free of charge). Please call us on (01) 662 0509 or 662 1507 for further details or to set up an appointment."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am sure a language teacher might be able to help me on this. I speak Italian, fairly well, but never studied it. If I wanted to get a recognised qualification in it, what could I do?

Would I have to do the equivalent of the leaving cert in it, for example, if I wanted to use it for a 3rd level course? If so, where would I even start...

I can only draw on my experience in TEFL years ago, and students could prepare for different levels of internationally recognised English exams?
    So, as I said, I would have a decent knowledge of Italian, but would like to suss out how to get an official piece of paper that would say "you speak Italian quite well. Bravo"....:)

I am in Limerick.

you need to study it for three years and get your BA in it if you want to teach.

you could do it for the leaving cert and you would get a grade which says how cold you are, but it still would not qualify you for much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeah, that Italian course would be good, but I don't live in Dublin however :(

I must email the Italian dept in UCG or UCG to find out for sure. I am not quite sure what my level would be. I know my oral and aural would be well ahead of my written Italian.

I always thought you would have needed leaving cert Italian to study it in 3rd level....

Advertisement