Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Dry Cleaners

Options
  • 07-01-2012 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good dry cleaners for a full length chiffon dress. It has a few drink stains on it. I heard there's a good one on Baggot Street but I don't know what it's called. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I heard there's a good one on Baggot Street but I don't know what it's called. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Ignore that rumour for starters....there's one in that area that spreads word that they are great and charge double what other cleaners do. Well they RUINED an expensive designer dress of mine (a Celtic tiger present) and charged me three times what the other cleaners on the street would have.

That was last summer. I subsequently met a guy at a wedding who worked in the business and says that the reputation of that place is total BS because at the end of the day there's only one way of dry cleaning and one set of chemicals and they all have them.

If you have a local cleaner that you have used before and trust, I would take it there rather than seek out a new one for a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

athtrasna wrote: »
    the end of the day there's only one way of dry cleaning and one set of chemicals and they all have them.

This is true but the results depend greatly on HOW they apply, or don't apply, the chemicals and also how the garment is washed in the machine.
    Believe it or not it is a skilled job!
    An awful lot of garments with dry clean only labels from manufacturers are not tested in factory and disintegrate when cleaned!

If you are in the centre i would recommend Georgian cleaners on pearse street or Lyk-nu in donnybrook opposite Kielys.
    Both are good at what they do and will advise you of any risks before they tackle a job.
    Georgian would be less expensive but equally good.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This is true but the results depend greatly on HOW they apply, or don't apply, the chemicals and also how the garment is washed in the machine.
    Believe it or not it is a skilled job!
    An awful lot of garments with dry clean only labels from manufacturers are not tested in factory and disintegrate when cleaned!

I take your point. Had had this dress cleaned once before without any problems. Stood on Baggot St. with the dress in my bag the second time and decided to take it to "the good one" as I needed it for a family wedding. Big mistake. The staff were so rude and aggressive about it too. Never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Thanks for all your advice. Athtrasna I'm sorry to hear about your dress and your experience with them. I had a similar dress cleaned in my local cleaners before and they weren't able to get the stains out. This particular dress is a gorgeous and expensive one so I don't want to take any chances. I might give Lyk-Nu a try and see if they can get the stains out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 siddle

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good dry cleaners for a full length chiffon dress. It has a few drink stains on it. I heard there's a good one on Baggot Street but I don't know what it's called. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

washatopia dry-cleaners is giving the best dry cleaning services in Austin.you can go there hav dedecated customer service.for info http://www.washatopia.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

siddle wrote: »
    washatopia dry-cleaners is giving the best dry cleaning services in Austin.you can go there hav dedecated customer service.for info http://www.washatopia.com/

Hmmmmm, might be a bit out of the way though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

The one on baggot street (near tesco) ruined shirts on us too. We now use Excel just off dame street (on dame lane) - always found the work and the staff grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I use New York on Middle Abbey St cause it's near work or the Marlowe on Georges St if it's more convenient. Never had any reason to complain about either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

second for new york on abbey street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You'll go to New York, but not to Austin? :confused:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's a bit out of the way but Coyle Cleaners in Glasnevin are good and really cheap too, if you get there before 11am they do Early Bird specials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robertswaan

I refer u a best laundry service in austin which provides a quality service with all aminites.
    http://www.washatopia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

Was very disappointed with the quality of the dry cleaning in New York on Abbey Street in Dublin this week. Jacket not cleaned properly the first day I went in to collect it which was a real inconvenience as I needed it for an interview the next day. Asked for it to be redone and went in the next day and was given some cock and bull story as to why it was not cleaned properly by an agressive male parasite, presumably the business owner. Ended up having to go to the interview with no jacket on the coldest day of the year so far. Interview went well. Though will be avoiding this 'establishment' and encouraging all my other business contacts who have cause to use dry cleaners on a regular basis to avoid New York on Abbey Street as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Hi thanks for all the help. I went with a local one instead on the advice of a friend. I picked it up today and it was perfect. I was really happy with it. For future reference it was Professional Dry Cleaners in Rathfarnham, beside Lidl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement