Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Career Prospects for Airline Pilots

Options
  • 07-01-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a beginner and learner and want to become an airline pilot. At this rate it would probably be several years before any such job offer could arise. However I would like to now other peoples opinion's on whether or not the future for a job as a pilot would be bright, in relation to world oil levels and rising prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Moved. You'll get better responses here. Search the forum and the recent Aer Lingus Cadet threads as well, lots of discussion here about airline careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Are you truly passionate about flying? Do you look up whenever an Aer Arann ATR flies over, used to fly over:(. Is being a pilot all you've ever wanted to do?

Or do you want to be an Airline Pilot, with a uniform and a big salary?

If you're the former, it won't matter that the job is no longer what it was. If you're the latter consider another career. Because it will cost you the guts of €100k to get to the point where you can actually apply for a job as an airline pilot. The pay usually is OK eventually but you'll earn every red cent of it.

It helps if it's about the flying because it really isn't a sensible career choice anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Airline pilots have seen their staus diminish in recent years and though not as sharp a fall as Cabin Crew have seen in my opinion , pilots can expect future erosion in pay and conditions.
    In the US pilots on the regional airlines earn in some cases under 20,000 dollars a year , even in the ' majors ' the pensions of pilots are now almost worthless.
    What happens in the US has a habit of crossing the pond.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conorobeolain

Delancey wrote: »
    Airline pilots have seen their staus diminish in recent years and though not as sharp a fall as Cabin Crew have seen in my opinion , pilots can expect future erosion in pay and conditions.
    In the US pilots on the regional airlines earn in some cases under 20,000 dollars a year , even in the ' majors ' the pensions of pilots are now almost worthless.
    What happens in the US has a habit of crossing the pond.....

Thanks for the info, I am pretty aware of that particular situation regarding the prospects, however disappointed I may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

big salary
    I joined for that. Working out well so far.

Pilots are broken into 2 main groups - the aerosexuals and the rest. Being an aero helps when the pay is being eroded. Being the other means you need to keep your ambition alive through progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

fluffer wrote: »
    Pilots are broken into 2 main groups - the aerosexuals and the rest. Being an aero helps when the pay is being eroded. Being the other means you need to keep your ambition alive through progression.

not sure I follow? Would you expand?

Well the aeros would put up with low pay and more aggravation just to fly and be around aeroplanes. A fact taken advantage of by many operators. Non aeros just move on following the money.

I would suggest that most start off as aeros but it's soon knocked out of you by reality. I know that happened to me.

If you really want to continue to love flying, don't do it for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

xflyer wrote: »
    Well the aeros would put up with low pay and more aggravation just to fly and be around aeroplanes. A fact taken advantage of by many operators. Non aeros just move on following the money.

I would suggest that most start off as aeros but it's soon knocked out of you by reality. I know that happened to me.

If you really want to continue to love flying, don't do it for a living.

Thats really sad, Id love to be a pilot. If I was getting enough to get by it wouldnt bother me. Wouldnt be arsed about what id be flying either. Currently doing lessons in a Tecnam P92 echo. Surely if a person is good at it some company would be willing to take ya on???
    And surely enough at about half 5 in my current job I was looking up at a passing jet wishing I was on it....

Surely if a person is good at it some company would be willing to take ya on???
    You'd think that but that's not the way it works, sorry to say. Mostly it's right place, right time. That's how I got my job.

You'd think that but that's not the way it works, sorry to say. Mostly it's right place, right time. That's how I got my job.

Maybe someone will put in a good word for me someday. The flight instructor really seems to think im good at it.

• Advertisement

Maybe someone will put in a good word for me someday. The flight instructor really seems to think im good at it.
    Very important that, reputation is everything. Keep the faith, your day will come. Keep your smiley face in the frame. There are a lot of pilots out there, fitting in is the most important thing.

Very important that, reputation is everything. Keep the faith, your day will come. Keep your smiley face in the frame. There are a lot of pilots out there, fitting in is the most important thing.

Thanks, I will :)

Advertisement