Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OH has vomiting bug

Options
  • 07-01-2012 8:46pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My OH has what we're assuming is the Winter vomiting bug.. he started having pains and diarrhea this morning and has been vomiting through the day..

I have him in quarantine now in the spare room and he hasn't been near our 1 year old since he came home but would have kissed him goodbye this morning.. and me :o

I guess I'm just wondering is there any hope in Hell that the baby won't catch it? We've just had a horrible week with him up and down to the Doctors with a bad dose and he's just finished a course of antibiotics..

He seemed fine going to bed this evening.

Also.. if he does get it, any advice on what to do with him would be greatly appreciated :( I'm kind of panicking here :eek: he's had enough misery for one week..

And.... is there any chance that the antibiotic (Augmentince) he's been taking all week will help him fight off the bug :confused: long shot I guess!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

If he gets it, he gets it! I doubt the antibiotic will help him as the vomiting bug is caused by a virus which an antibiotic is useless against.

Megan had the vomiting bug before Christmas, she had finally stopped puking by Christmas eve when I got it!

Make sure thees lots of hand washing to try and prevent the spread of the virus. Or keep some alochol gel handy and use it frequently.

If the little one gets it, don't try and force and food on the child. Just try and make sure they get lots of fluids, preferably water or clear fluids. Dioralyte is great for replacing lost electrolytes and will help your child feel better. It tastes like gank tho!

Then just make sure that everything that is puked on is thoroughly cleaned to get rid of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The only thing you can do is wait it out and do what your doing.

Try to keep the bathroom as clean as possible to help prevent the bug from spreading. It is also very important to keep loo seat lid down when flushing, otherwise tiny droplets of the horrid bug can land on surfaces, even toothbrushes.

Hope you & the little one don't catch it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks for the replies..

We're lucky enough to have an little en suite in the room he's quarantined in.. and I've removed my toothbrush etc.. I've been getting busy with the flash all around the house.. so fingers crossed we can avoid a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Not sure if you're breastfeeding but if you are keep it up even if he's sick and vomiting. It's better than any other liquid even diorilyte for keeping them hydrated. Fingers crossed you won't get it.

Your biggest defense is excellent hand hygiene. Keep hands washed, don't bother with shop bought hand sanitiser, wash thoroughly with soap and water. Tell your husband to do this religiously after using the bathroom, being sick etc.

Nasty bug to have, hope he gets well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Once you have it it's not as bad as you would think. The main reason it gets so much attention is because it's so easy to spread but once you have it it only lasts a few hours, about a day and maybe diarrhoea afterwards, no worse than a bad tummy bug. My wife and I got it from our child who mostly likely picked it up in childcare but she wasn't too put out once she got over the initial vomiting period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Once you have it it's not as bad as you would think. The main reason it gets so much attention is because it's so easy to spread but once you have it it only lasts a few hours, about a day and maybe diarrhoea afterwards, no worse than a bad tummy bug.

I have to disagree with this as my whole family got it one after the other and i was in a bad state for 3 days. it is highly contagious and if you get a full belt of it you will know how bad it really can be. I got it a few years ago and never got it since and i hope i never get it again, it's a bad one forsure. you are doing the right thing though, keeping everything as clean as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

I got this was totally knocked out by it as was my 6 year old. My 2 yr old vomited once then slept for a few hours and was fine. 10 yr old and 4 yr old never got it so it is hard to know will your baby get it but hopefully not

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Hi OP,

My OH had this over xmas too, and I rang the doc to get advise as I am on medication that leaves me very prone to infections and was scared I'd get it too.

He advised that

- hubby should use separate bathroom from rest of the family (if you have a 2nd bathroom of course) for everything including brushing teeth, washing etc.
    If your hubby uses the loo for any reasons (toilet, vomiting etc) chuck in some bleach, close the lid and then flush. this will stop any nasty's being sprayed around the room.

- make sure you wash your hands regularly with hot soapy water. especially after using the loo and preparing food.

- make sure your hubby washes his hands thoroughly after every use of the loo.

- wash all surfaces in fridge using a good disinfectant/steriliser ( I used Milton, but I'm sure this was only because my immune system is basically non existent right now)

- keep your toothbrushes seperate if you can, if not rinse yours after use in either hot water or a good strong antibacterial mouth wash, then wrap in clingfilm or sandwich bag.

Its an awful bug to have. My OH was ok after about 48 hrs, but he didn't get back to 100% for another few days after symptoms stopped.

I'd recommend getting some dioralyte (spelling??) for your hubby too to help with dehydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My hubbie had that a couple of weeks ago and luckily myself and the baby (also 1) never caught it so you might be lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mesu

Hi Xzanti - I had the vomiting bug in October and thankfully neither my husband nor my 1 year old (then 10 months) got it. They stayed out of the bathroom and as soon as I felt human again I thoroughly cleaned it. I used the disinfectant wipes on all the door handles around the house too and just tried to keep them away from me as long as I was feeling bad. I had the worst of it through the night when they were in bed so that may have helped contain it.

I hope you and the baby don't get it - best of luck.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks again everyone..

He seems fine this morning.. he's had tea and toast and he's in the shower now :confused: not a bother on him..

Maybe it was something else.. but we'll be still taking all the precautions for the next few days anyway just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I had it and so did my husband (a few days later) but the 10-month-old was fine. This was despite being in close contact with both of us. Breastfeeding may have helped, but I don't know.

Advertisement