Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinning hair

• 07-01-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

I've noticed my hair getting really light on top and my scalp starting to show through :( Has anyone tried something that made a difference or at least halted it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Hennybug wrote: »
    I've noticed my hair getting really light on top and my scalp starting to show through :( Has anyone tried something that made a difference or at least halted it?

Lee Stafford Hair Growth Treatment worked really well on mine to thicken it on top.

You can get it in Boots, I forget how much it was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Thanks Silversky i'll pop into Boots tomorrow to pick that up. I coloured my hair at the weekend and it makes it even more obvious, dark hair and pink scalp shining through is not a good look :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I have the same problem with thinning on the crown of my head. I have been taking hair supplements that I bought while visiting my friend in Spain. They sell them in the supermarket. Here is a link for info (you might find something in a health shop with the same vitamin properties) - http://www.korott.com/Default.aspx?IDPagina=792&IDProducto=715

Since taking them, I have been told by friends that my hair is looking healthier and fuller than ever. They weren't aware that I was taking anything so I trust the compliment was genuine. I can see the results myself.

I've also been told that silica supplements are very good for thickening hair (available at any health shop I imagine). I have been meaning to get some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I hear this stuff is good but I don't have this problem myself...

http://www.nourkrin.co.uk/

Thanks for the replies. I went into Boots today, they had none of the Lee Stafford stuff so I asked one of the assistants for something. In the end we had both read so many boxes that we couldn't figure out what was what :rolleyes:

Re-assuringly she didn't think i had a big problem so rather than forking out the guts of €100 just yet i'm going to keep trying to find the Lee Stafford stuff and give it a shot :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I had the same problem a few years ago. There's a shampoo bar in Lush called New which I found helped my hair feel thicker and gave more volume.

Sometimes certain types of the pill can affect hair growth (that's what caused mine), so if you're worried that that is what could be causing it have a chat with your doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Taking a course of B complex vitamins is supposed to be good as a shortage of these apparently can affect the hair growth. Also make sure you eat plenty of fresh vegetables and as much raw as you can so you get all the vitamins. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I don't know your situation, but I came off the patch over the summer and lost half of my hair as a result. It looked awful, and as a young woman I felt very self concious. I start using LUSH shampoo bars specifically designed for this problem, and it made a world of difference. The use natural ingredients to stimulate the scalp and promote hair growth. I noticed a huge different in volume after the first two washes, and my hair has been growing back faster than was expected.

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/301/New-Solid-Shampoo-Bar
    this is the one they are selling in store, and I've been using it for 5 months now.

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/134/Dr-Peppermint-%7C-Retro-Solid-Shampoo-Bar
    This one is a favourite, however, retired LUSH product that is still available from the online LUSH Retro store. If balding is more the problem, I've read really great comments about this one being good. I was in a hurry to get it, and the other one was just more available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

@hacked

Is this the same store as the one in the city centre or do you buy it online all the time?

That sounds great Hacked, i'm in Dublin in 2 weeks so will take the trip into Lush and pick it up.

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    @hacked

Is this the same store as the one in the city centre or do you buy it online all the time?

Yes, it's the store in Dublin City Centre. There are two of them. One accross from the main enterance to Trinity College and one on Henry Street.

The first shampoo bar (the red one called "New") is sold in store, but can also be purchased from the Lush website.

The second one...the Dr. Peppermint bar, is a retired Lush shampoo, so it can only be bought from the online store. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I have this problem on and off. Firstly make sure you are getting enough iron in your diet as a slight lack will cause hair problems.

I take seaweed tablets and head high tablets (the pink one). When necessary I take tablets called nu hair they are amazing and much cheaper than nourikin or viviscal and in my experience way better I get mine on www. Expresschemist.co.uk.

Oh and to help from outside nutri vital shampoo is very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

Things that have worked for me (I constantly go through phases of thin hair and then get myself back on track)

- a good, healthy diet
    - cutting down on alcohol
    - lots of probiotic yoghurt
    - oiling my hair with olive oil before a shower (heat the oil for about 15 secs and then massage the scalp and leave it for about 15 mins)
    - almonds- eating about 5 a day made a huge difference- if I remember, I eat these every day to avoid the thinning hair
    - omega 3- seafood- the essential oils

If you have had a massive amount of weight loss, stress, changed your diet, started on a pill or a different contraceptive or started using a new shampoo, they could all be factors for the thinning hair!

All the best and hope you have a nice thick head of hair soon :)

Mhm agree with above poster....I should have added that in as well as the shampoo! Drink plenty of water and eat healthily. I also started taking vitamins when my hair fell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lotar

I have tried the Matthew Gardson's method, it's great for hair regrowth, there are also a ton more little baby hair growing all over my head

lotar wrote: »
    I have tried the Matthew Gardson's method, it's great for hair regrowth, there are also a ton more little baby hair growing all over my head

What is it?

Lots of suggestions here, i already eat well, take vitamins and have a pretty healthy lifestyle so it's not something lacking there. Going to pop into Lush on Monday and try that first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hennybug wrote: »
    Going to pop into Lush on Monday and try that first :)

I'm the same as yourself

I bought one of the shampoos in Lush, im happy with it. Certainly not a fix for the problem but feels a looks a bit better.

Well, the shampoo obviously wont magically give you all your hair back. No matter what you do, whether its a shampoo or suplement, you're going to have to just wait 3-6 months for new hair growth. All you can do is stimulate the scalp and hair follicles to promote new hair growth.

I got a new "do" yesterday that sweeps all the hair forward so that disguises a lot fo the problem :) I asked my hairdresser for advice and she said lots of people have gotten great results with a supplement that you can get in health food shops so took myself in there today. Straight away the girl said the Phyto range and got me Phytophanére capsules. Going to start these and get the Lush shampoo Monday so hopefully both will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Will this method work for guys as well.
    I've started to notice changes to my hair in the front.

Either I'm loosing it or it's thinning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement