Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum SC gift card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I can see why Corner Back got so annoyed. It would be much fairer to insert an expiry date and leave it at that.

I'm very surprised that some posters feel that the fault lies with the card owner in this instance as it seems obvious to me that this is very sharp practice by the company administering the scheme.
    Whilst I take the point that it's better to have this wind down rather than a straight cut-off, this should be clearly highlighted on the card. They could easily highlight the date after which the monthly fee would apply (a de-facto expiry for many users no doubt).

By the way, that there needs to be some sort of cut-off for any voucher scheme for accounting reasons is a fallacy, it's quite easy for accountants to make provisions for what can and can't be written off based on past behaviour (it's how warranty schemes are generally accounted for, for example), and in any case, this particular scheme seems pretty messy.

I suppose the main lesson to come out of this is that "Cash is King", vouchers might look nice, but they're a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

I have a dundrum card in front of me and the T & C summary is printed on the back of the card "While the cards remain valid until the expiry date, a monthly service fee of €3 will be deducted from the balance commencing month thirteen from the date of issue". If this was written on your card I don't think you have much cause for complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Bagel wrote: »
    I have a dundrum card in front of me and the T & C summary is printed on the back of the card "While the cards remain valid until the expiry date, a monthly service fee of €3 will be deducted from the balance commencing month thirteen from the date of issue". If this was written on your card I don't think you have much cause for complaint.

Agree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

afaik, these are prepaid mastercards and can be used anywhere in the world that mastercard is acceptable. The fact that there is Dundrum Branding is neither here nor there - you can use it online too in ANY online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clairebear

Really it doesn't matter to me if it written in big bold print - I think it's fundamentally mean and nasty to take money for nothing, at very least customers should be told by the person selling the gift cards about their unusually tight policy. I won't ever buy their vouchers. Vouchers shouldn't expire. They don't need the monthly fee that's nonsense , buying vouchers encourages business to the centre and it's a recession for gods sake. The shop 'next' have a fairer policy with their gift cards and good return policy for gifts. Plenty of other options for gift cards folks. The only thing generous about Dundrum shopping centre is their 2 euro for 3 hours parking offer. Dun laoghaire co council should take note - in case they are wondering why every shop on the Main Street is now closed. Why would anybody pay anything to park there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@clairebear Welcome to Boards. Please note that the last post in this thread is over two years old. It's generally not recommended to bring old threads back to life (creating "zombie threads").

Zombie thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement