Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking at Clonsilla train station

Options
  • 07-01-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

does any one know if the new street parking behind clonsilla train station is free or is paid parking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

tarwad wrote: »
    does any one know if the new street parking behind clonsilla train station is free or is paid parking?
    it's going to be pay and display, including spaces that have just green marked out right into the Porters gate estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tarwad

Thanks, so i take it its free for now till they put the pay and display parking machines, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

walking home this evening I saw signs saying Pay and Display parking will take effect from next Monday morning (16th Jan) from 8am to 6pm weekdays. I wonder how much daily or weekly parking will cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Have they installed parking meters?

They have now installed parking meters on Hansfield Road. The number of cars parked there during the week has reduced since the machines were installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

ongarboy wrote: »
    walking home this evening I saw signs saying Pay and Display parking will take effect from next Monday morning (16th Jan) from 8am to 6pm weekdays. I wonder how much daily or weekly parking will cost?

I believe it's €1 an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

amdublin wrote: »
    I believe it's €1 an hour

What is your source?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

joolsveer wrote: »
    They have now installed parking meters on Hansfield Road. The number of cars parked there during the week has reduced since the machines were installed.

With the 3 hour limit now in place in nearby Portersgate, I can only assume that many drivers will simply move back to parking on the Clonsilla link road in the interim. No doubt FCC will counteract the move by completing the unfinished sections of double-yellow lines. €1 p.h. sounds overly excessive and would be a foolish decision by the council if it were true - commuters won't pay a tenner a day for the luxury. Anyone got an an ETA on the car park thats being developed on the Beechpark side of the crossing?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

€2 per day

With the 3 hour limit now in place in nearby Portersgate, I can only assume that many drivers will simply move back to parking on the Clonsilla link road in the interim.
    if i was a commuter i'd be pretty peeved if that was the case, but as a portersgate resident i'm quite happy that we won't have people who don't even live here clogging up the place with their cars all week.

there are plenty of big empty fields nearby where they could easily build ample parking for commuters, but for some reason have chosen not to.

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    What is your source?

A clonsilla resident told me.....they have it wrong obviously? (and me)

As Orobhsa said, it's €2 per day and applicable only Mon - Fri (8am - 6pm). I took this information from the actual signs and meters themselves. I guess it seems ok but when you add it up that is almost €500 a year (not including annual leave weeks) so for the average daily commuter that is almost 50% of their annual rail pass (not cheap imo).

Since the charges took effect, about 25% of spaces are still unoccupied by 9am

vibe666 wrote: »
    if i was a commuter i'd be pretty peeved if that was the case, but as a portersgate resident i'm quite happy that we won't have people who don't even live here clogging up the place with their cars all week.

there are plenty of big empty fields nearby where they could easily build ample parking for commuters, but for some reason have chosen not to.

How do you feel about the new parking regime in the estate? There are far fewer spaces than residents' cars.

vibe666 wrote: »
    but as a portersgate resident i'm quite happy that we won't have people who don't even live here clogging up the place with their cars all week.

I hear you but as a Mount Symon resident, I'm concerned about 'parking shift' to the next available estate, this will certainly be an issue if parking is prohibited on the link road.
    ongarboy wrote:
    but when you add it up that is almost €500 a year (not including annual leave weeks) so for the average daily commuter that is almost 50% of their annual rail pass (not cheap imo).

I take your point, its a cost that commuters didn't have to stump up last year but put in a motoring perspective and viewed from another angle, the cost is comparable to a single toll road payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

About the link road- it's surrounded by wasteland on both sides, is it really beyond the authorities to purchase it and build a car park? The developer who probably owns it isn't going to get a better offer than a CPO.

Parking in portersgate is one euro per hour (max three hours)

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    About the link road- it's surrounded by wasteland on both sides, is it really beyond the authorities to purchase it and build a car park? The developer who probably owns it isn't going to get a better offer than a CPO.

Theres planning permission in place on both plots for shops/houses/apartments. Lands at the Ongar Road end have roads in place (the developer has 5 years to complete this piece, otherwise, permission to develop is lost). Considering the current climate, I can't see any form of housing development happening for some years to come (if at all), I expect that the land owners (Lynam's if I remember correctly) will simply hand onto these tracts for the medium term at least.

In any case, additional parking will be made available on the far side of the tracks adjacent to the station, development is currently under way.

joolsveer wrote: »
    How do you feel about the new parking regime in the estate? There are far fewer spaces than residents' cars.
    i'm actually very happy with it. non-residents parking here has been an issue for a long time on and off and it's no longer going to be an issue. it's a nice quite estate, not a commuter car park and i can't imagine any resident preferring having the place full of non-resident motors and foot traffic as well as no longer having the mad morning and evening rush to get in and out as they come and go.

the m3 parkway station has more than ample free parking day and night and i see no reason why the same couldn't be done for clonsilla with all the empty green fields all around it. EDIT: looks like it might be happening then. :)

i also checked one of the portersgate meters this evening and it is indeed 1 euro per hour for a max of 3 hours, monday to saturday from 8am to 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Theres planning permission in place on both plots for shops/houses/apartments. Lands at the Ongar Road end have roads in place (the developer has 5 years to complete this piece, otherwise, permission to develop is lost). Considering the current climate, I can't see any form of housing development happening for some years to come (if at all), I expect that the land owners (Lynam's if I remember correctly) will simply hand onto these tracts for the medium term at least.

In any case, additional parking will be made available on the far side of the tracks adjacent to the station, development is currently under way.

There wont be any parking where the construction compound is at the moment at the back of the down platform as IE didnt get planning permision for it because of how busy the road outside is and how close the enterence is to the bridge.. Thats from what i was told so im open to correction.

what are they actually doing at the southside of the station? I notice a little building (similar in style to the station building on the other side) being constructed. Will this be for commuters boarding/exiting on that side so that they validate their fares via automated gates etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its just a compound for the work going on for the new turnback and platform.
    The new building is a TR room. Track relay i think.

Advertisement